AMD 64 X2 Processor: Any what to tell what program/process is assigned to processor?

Discussion in 'AMD 64 Bit' started by The Frozen Canuck, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. Or does the core logic split some programs/processes between two processor?

    Canuck

    The Frozen Canuck, Jan 14, 2006

  2. The Frozen Canuck

    EdG Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:06:34 GMT, "The Frozen Canuck"
    <> wrote:

    >Or does the core logic split some programs/processes between two processor?
    >
    >Canuck

    For single threaded programs under Windows XP pro for example the OS
    balances the work load between the 2 cores unless the cpu affinity is
    set to CPU0 or CPU1. In windows xp pro task manager, select a running
    exe like "notepad.exe", right click , select affinity.

    EdG

    EdG, Jan 14, 2006

  3. The Frozen Canuck

    Toshi1873 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:06:34 GMT, "The Frozen Canuck"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Or does the core logic split some programs/processes between two processor?
    > >
    > >Canuck
    > >

    > For single threaded programs under Windows XP pro for example the OS
    > balances the work load between the 2 cores unless the cpu affinity is
    > set to CPU0 or CPU1. In windows xp pro task manager, select a running
    > exe like "notepad.exe", right click , select affinity.
    >
    > EdG

    Yeah, I rarely have to touch affinity even on my older dual-CPU board.
    XP does a decent enough job of handling the scheduling.

    Toshi1873, Jan 16, 2006
  4. The Frozen Canuck

    EdG Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:31:44 -0500, Toshi1873 <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 01:06:34 GMT, "The Frozen Canuck"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Or does the core logic split some programs/processes between two processor?
    >> >
    >> >Canuck
    >> >

    >> For single threaded programs under Windows XP pro for example the OS
    >> balances the work load between the 2 cores unless the cpu affinity is
    >> set to CPU0 or CPU1. In windows xp pro task manager, select a running
    >> exe like "notepad.exe", right click , select affinity.
    >>
    >> EdG

    >Yeah, I rarely have to touch affinity even on my older dual-CPU board.
    >XP does a decent enough job of handling the scheduling.

    I just wrote a small program to auto set the affinity, like madden 05
    doesn't like a dual core, but I didn't install any of the dual core
    hot-fixes or patches either, so who knows. ;p

    EdG, Jan 17, 2006
  5. On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:22:58 -0600, EdG wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:31:44 -0500, Toshi1873 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>> For single threaded programs under Windows XP pro for example the OS
    >>> balances the work load between the 2 cores unless the cpu affinity is
    >>> set to CPU0 or CPU1. In windows xp pro task manager, select a running
    >>> exe like "notepad.exe", right click , select affinity.
    >>>
    >>> EdG

    >>Yeah, I rarely have to touch affinity even on my older dual-CPU board.
    >>XP does a decent enough job of handling the scheduling.

    > I just wrote a small program to auto set the affinity, like madden 05
    > doesn't like a dual core, but I didn't install any of the dual core
    > hot-fixes or patches either, so who knows. ;p

    You should never have to set a processor affinity, the OS should be able
    to handle that. Install the OS patches and then see if you still have any
    problems.

    General Schvantzkoph, Jan 17, 2006
  6. The Frozen Canuck

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:22:58
    -0600, in alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64, the queezy keyboard of EdG
    <> spewed the following:

    |On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:31:44 -0500, Toshi1873 <>
    |wrote:
    |
    |>In article <>,
    |> says...

    |>> For single threaded programs under Windows XP pro for example the OS
    |>> balances the work load between the 2 cores unless the cpu affinity is
    |>> set to CPU0 or CPU1. In windows xp pro task manager, select a running
    |>> exe like "notepad.exe", right click , select affinity.
    |>>
    |>> EdG
    |>
    |>Yeah, I rarely have to touch affinity even on my older dual-CPU board.
    |>XP does a decent enough job of handling the scheduling.
    |
    |I just wrote a small program to auto set the affinity, like madden 05
    |doesn't like a dual core, but I didn't install any of the dual core
    |hot-fixes or patches either, so who knows. ;p

    <double take>

    I would be very interested in taking a look at the program; lots of
    possibilities. One question. If you choose the affinity for an
    intensive app, will it result in higher overall cpu temps?
    --

    -nos1eep

    http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    nos1eep, Jan 18, 2006
  7. The Frozen Canuck

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> General
    Schvantzkoph <> wrote:

    >You should never have to set a processor affinity, the OS should be able
    >to handle that. Install the OS patches and then see if you still have any
    >problems.

    "Should" is relative. You rarely have any "need" to set processor
    affinity, but you can sometimes increase performance by doing so with
    specific applications.

    --
    "Gee, Bill what do you want to do tonight?"
    "The same thing we do every night Steve. Try to take over the world!"

    DevilsPGD, Jan 18, 2006
  8. The Frozen Canuck

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> nos1eep
    <> wrote:

    >If you choose the affinity for an
    >intensive app, will it result in higher overall cpu temps?

    Short answer, no.

    Ultimately, regardless of affinity, the same amount of work needs to be
    done and that will generate the same amount of heat. Windows will tend
    to load processors roughly evenly, give or take, so this will tend to
    keep the temperatures roughly even.

    If you for processes to one or the other CPU (or core), you may result
    in one or the other working harder and generating more heat, but the
    other will generate less heat.

    From a case cooling point of view, it's all the same. From a CPU
    cooling point of view, if your cooling isn't adequate to handle 100%
    load for an extended period of time, you've got bigger problems.

    DevilsPGD, Jan 18, 2006
  9. The Frozen Canuck

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:45:02
    -0700, in alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64, the queezy keyboard of
    DevilsPGD <> spewed the following:

    |In message <> nos1eep
    |<> wrote:
    |
    |>If you choose the affinity for an
    |>intensive app, will it result in higher overall cpu temps?
    |
    |Short answer, no.
    |
    |Ultimately, regardless of affinity, the same amount of work needs to be
    |done and that will generate the same amount of heat. Windows will tend
    |to load processors roughly evenly, give or take, so this will tend to
    |keep the temperatures roughly even.
    |
    |If you for processes to one or the other CPU (or core), you may result
    |in one or the other working harder and generating more heat, but the
    |other will generate less heat.
    |
    |From a case cooling point of view, it's all the same. From a CPU
    |cooling point of view, if your cooling isn't adequate to handle 100%
    |load for an extended period of time, you've got bigger problems.

    Interesting. Thanks.
    --

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Jan 19, 2006
  10. "The Frozen Canuck" <> writes:
    >Or does the core logic split some programs/processes between two processor?
    >
    >Canuck

    From the standpoint of all operating systems that run on the system,
    it appears to be a two cpu system.

    How to determine what is running on a given CPU is operating system
    specific, and you didn't specify your OS.

    If a program/process is multithreaded, two threads may execute
    simultaneously.

    scott

    Scott Lurndal, Jan 19, 2006
  11. The Frozen Canuck

    EdG Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:36:35 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
    <> wrote:

    >> I just wrote a small program to auto set the affinity, like madden 05
    >> doesn't like a dual core, but I didn't install any of the dual core
    >> hot-fixes or patches either, so who knows. ;p

    >You should never have to set a processor affinity, the OS should be able
    >to handle that. Install the OS patches and then see if you still have any
    >problems.

    OK I did the MS dual core patch and added the throttle registry thing
    set to 1, not sure if I am supposed to do both or not but seen that
    suggested on the AMD forums and everything still runs great, Madden 05
    now plays fine without having to set affinity now too which was the only
    thing that lead me to write an auto affinity setter in the first place.
    ;p

    Cheers,
    EdG

    EdG, Jan 23, 2006
  12. The Frozen Canuck

    EdG Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:40:42 -0600, nos1eep
    <> wrote:

    >|I just wrote a small program to auto set the affinity, like madden 05
    >|doesn't like a dual core, but I didn't install any of the dual core
    >|hot-fixes or patches either, so who knows. ;p
    >
    ><double take>
    >
    >I would be very interested in taking a look at the program; lots of
    >possibilities. One question. If you choose the affinity for an
    >intensive app, will it result in higher overall cpu temps?

    I haven't done any testing on that, but it might be a tad cooler if load
    is spread out across 2 cores, more silicon area = better heat transfer
    maybe?

    I slapped the Auto Affinity program together in a hurry just using list
    boxes (easy to use but slow) to store, retrieve and compare the running
    exes and the users favorites. The only reason I wrote the program was
    because one game was pissing me off, Madden 05 , it ran real choppy on
    my dual core system but now I don't bother setting affinity because the
    MS dual core hotfix solved my madden 05 issue, so for now I stopped
    working on the program, no doubt someone else has already written such a
    program and is freeware too. I just like writing my programs when I can
    because I know exactly what they are doing and I can add just about any
    feature I want to them. ;p

    Cheers,
    EdG
    --
    BTW, I program in VB6, here a code example on how to set CPU affinity in
    VB.

    SetProcessAffinityMask API
    http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=60478&lngWId=1

    EdG, Jan 23, 2006
  13. The Frozen Canuck

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:59:17
    -0600, in alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64, the queezy keyboard of EdG
    <> spewed the following:

    |On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:40:42 -0600, nos1eep
    |<> wrote:
    |
    |>|I just wrote a small program to auto set the affinity, like madden 05
    |>|doesn't like a dual core, but I didn't install any of the dual core
    |>|hot-fixes or patches either, so who knows. ;p
    |>
    |><double take>
    |>
    |>I would be very interested in taking a look at the program; lots of
    |>possibilities. One question. If you choose the affinity for an
    |>intensive app, will it result in higher overall cpu temps?
    |
    |I haven't done any testing on that, but it might be a tad cooler if load
    |is spread out across 2 cores, more silicon area = better heat transfer
    |maybe?
    |
    |I slapped the Auto Affinity program together in a hurry just using list
    |boxes (easy to use but slow) to store, retrieve and compare the running
    |exes and the users favorites. The only reason I wrote the program was
    |because one game was pissing me off, Madden 05 , it ran real choppy on
    |my dual core system but now I don't bother setting affinity because the
    |MS dual core hotfix solved my madden 05 issue, so for now I stopped
    |working on the program, no doubt someone else has already written such a
    |program and is freeware too. I just like writing my programs when I can
    |because I know exactly what they are doing and I can add just about any
    |feature I want to them. ;p
    |
    |Cheers,
    |EdG

    In the vast amount of time since I replied (4 days) I did do some
    testing and found that the temps actually rise when I set the affinity
    to a single core. This is not a big deal, 10c or so, but it is
    interesting. Performance was increased during multitasking, so the
    minor rise in temps are a good trade-off. I did also find some other
    freeware programs that do set affinity, ect. Good, but windows does do
    a nice job handling the dual core.

    The above made for an interesting few hours. Don't know where this is
    going yet, but hey, thanks for the input.
    --

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Jan 24, 2006
  14. The Frozen Canuck

    EdG Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:00:53 -0600, nos1eep
    <> wrote:

    >In the vast amount of time since I replied (4 days) I did do some
    >testing and found that the temps actually rise when I set the affinity
    >to a single core. This is not a big deal, 10c or so, but it is
    >interesting. Performance was increased during multitasking, so the
    >minor rise in temps are a good trade-off. I did also find some other
    >freeware programs that do set affinity, ect. Good, but windows does do
    >a nice job handling the dual core.
    >
    >The above made for an interesting few hours. Don't know where this is
    >going yet, but hey, thanks for the input.

    Nice experiment, I did one, system specs in sig.
    Wattage usage taken at the PSU 120VAC input.
    (4200+ @ 227x11 @ 1.35V - 2497MHz )

    Windows Idle @ 2497MHz
    Power CPU Room
    --------------------
    115W 33C 70.0F

    P95 FPU Stress (1 copy on 1 core) @ 2497MHz
    Power CPU Room
    --------------------
    150W 43C 70.3F

    P95 FPU Stress (1 copy per core) @ 2497MHz
    Power CPU Room
    --------------------
    190W 52C 70.0F

    Cheers,
    EdG
    --
    Case:
    Antec SX-1040BII(ATX-Full Tower)
    2 thermal controlled (frnt+back) + 1 regular 80mm case fan(rear).
    PSU:
    Enermax EG495P-VE SFMA 485W
    Mbrd:
    Asus A8N-E v2.0 BIOS 1008
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon 64-X2 4200+ (dual core) BH-E4 (Week 37, 2005)
    HS:
    Thermaltake AMD64 K450 [CL-P0075]
    RAM:
    2*512MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000
    Specs: 2.5-4-4-10 @ 250MHz @ 2.80V
    Drives:
    WD Raptor 74GB SATA-150 10,000 RPM 8MB
    Seagate 160GB PATA-100 7200 RPM 8MB
    NEC 2500A 8x/40x DVD/CD Burner
    NEC 3550A 16X DVD/8X Dual Layer/48X CD-R
    ALPS 3.5" Floppy
    Video:
    eVGA 6800GS 256MB PCI-e
    Sound:
    Creative Audigy 2 PCI (w/MIDI & FireWire)
    KB & Mouse:
    Logitech Cordless Rechargeable Desktop Black (PS2)
    Other:
    Windows XP Pro(SP2)

    EdG, Jan 24, 2006