    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=6621443#post6621443 .
    (although I do not have a separate charger).

    , Feb 12, 2006

  2. Yves Leclerc Guest

    On 12/02/2006 wrote:
    >my laptop keeps "switching" to battery power even though the AC power
    >cord is securely attached to the computer. I then just simply unattach
    >
    >then reinsert the cord. Although Compaq think it is a hardware issue I
    >
    >find this hard to believe since if I try to purposely "loosen" it it
    >does not switch to battery. IT just seems to happen randomly.
    >
    >The timing is such that it seems to be a recent windows update.
    >

    >Suggestions? Thoughts?
    >

    >I did find this post which describes a similar issue:
    >http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=6621443#post6621443 .
    >(although I do not have a separate charger).

    It could most definitely be a hardware issue. The laptop must have some type
    of detection component in order to know when the power cord is connected.
    This seems to be failing.

    --
    ---

    Y.

    Yves Leclerc, Feb 13, 2006

    Well, I did a repair of the operating system (windows xp home), and so
    far so good.
    I don't get it, but again so far so good. If it changes I'll post it
    here. But if anyone else having this issue, try a repair of the OS.

    , Feb 14, 2006

    Sigh,
    scratch the repair remedy. At first it seemed to work as it didn't
    "switch" for hours and hours. But turning it on this morning, it
    STARTED on battery power even though the AC power was connected.

    , Feb 14, 2006

    OK, scratch the scratch. This is the longest it hasn't "switched"
    over. So maybe it has "healed"?

    , Feb 15, 2006

    WEll reformatting didn't work. It's happenning again.
    When I pull the plug out of the PC, it is quite hot. Is that suppose
    to me?
    Is there a way to determine whether it is the plug, or the PC?
    Thanks

    , Feb 22, 2006

    Speaking with Compaq, the seem certain the issue is the DC jack of the
    notebook (claimed it is a known issue). Does this sound right? If so,
    is this expensive?

    , Feb 26, 2006
  8. Guest Guest

    I'm having the same problem. My computer keeps switching from using the AC
    power to the battery even though the power cord is still connected. Is there
    something wrong with my computer or is it my power cord?

    Guest, May 12, 2006
  9. wrote:
    > I'm having the same problem. My computer keeps switching from using the AC
    > power to the battery even though the power cord is still connected. Is there
    > something wrong with my computer or is it my power cord?
    >
    > "" wrote:
    >
    >> my laptop keeps "switching" to battery power even though the AC power
    >> cord is securely attached to the computer. I then just simply unattach
    >>
    >> then reinsert the cord. Although Compaq think it is a hardware issue I
    >>
    >> find this hard to believe since if I try to purposely "loosen" it it
    >> does not switch to battery. IT just seems to happen randomly.
    >>
    >> The timing is such that it seems to be a recent windows update.
    >>

    >> Suggestions? Thoughts?
    >>

    >> I did find this post which describes a similar issue:
    >> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=6621443#post6621443 .
    >> (although I do not have a separate charger).

    I would look to see if the power adapter has a light that shows if
    it is active. If the light is staying on but your laptop keeps
    switching to the battery, then I would suspect the actual power cord
    jack. A number of manufacturers are noted for having poor solder
    connections of the power jack to the motherboard.

    For more information, I would recommend going to comp.sys.laptops
    with the specifics on your laptop.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    And on the seventh day God said,
    "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."

    Dr. C.Joseph Drayton, Ph.D. AS&T, May 18, 2006