After HD 3650 upgrade I still get 'Found new hardware'

Discussion in 'ATI Video Cards' started by Mike Ray, Nov 10, 2008.

  1. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)

    Here is what I did:
    1. Went into ADD/Remove and removed ALL ATI stuff.
    2. When a reboot was required, I rebooted to VGA 'safe mode'
    3. Shut down and turned off system
    4. pulled X700 pci-e and installed HD 3460 pci-e
    5. restarted XP normally and got 'Found new hardware' pop-up
    6. canceled 'Found new hardware' and put in ATI driver CD (came with card
    7. Installed driver, CCC etc. (took several min)
    8. Rebooted after driver finished but again got 'Found new hardware'
    9. again canceled 'Found new hardware'
    10. Set up desktop res and tried some games. (Far Cry 1, UT3(now works),
    Raven Shield, TRL(could now turn advanced graphics) , TR underworld demo)

    Everything works and looks great except:
    1. Every time I re-boot I get the 'Found new hardware'pop-up
    2. Device Manager has a problem with 'unknown PCI device'

    Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
    about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)

    BTW:
    HP - a1130n (completely stock except video) (MSI RS480)
    XP home SP2 (up to date)
    on board sound
    video driver - forgot to check what version was on the included CD disk,
    but I assume the 'Found new hardware' is not a driver version problem
    but maybe a driver instillation problem??
    thanks,
    Mike

    Mike Ray, Nov 10, 2008

  2. Mike Ray

    DRS Guest

    "Mike Ray" <> wrote in message
    > Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)

    [...]

    > Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
    > about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)

    Did you install the HDMI audio driver?

    DRS, Nov 10, 2008
  3. Mike Ray

    Anton Ertl Guest

    Mike Ray <> writes:
    >Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
    >
    >Here is what I did:
    >1. Went into ADD/Remove and removed ALL ATI stuff.
    >2. When a reboot was required, I rebooted to VGA 'safe mode'
    >3. Shut down and turned off system
    >4. pulled X700 pci-e and installed HD 3460 pci-e
    >5. restarted XP normally and got 'Found new hardware' pop-up
    >6. canceled 'Found new hardware' and put in ATI driver CD (came with card
    >7. Installed driver, CCC etc. (took several min)
    >8. Rebooted after driver finished but again got 'Found new hardware'
    >9. again canceled 'Found new hardware'
    >10. Set up desktop res and tried some games. (Far Cry 1, UT3(now works),
    >Raven Shield, TRL(could now turn advanced graphics) , TR underworld demo)
    >
    >Everything works and looks great except:
    >1. Every time I re-boot I get the 'Found new hardware'pop-up
    >2. Device Manager has a problem with 'unknown PCI device'

    I guess there is another device on the card which needs a separate
    driver. Since you alwas cancel its installation, it never gets
    installed. You could look in the device manager which device has no
    driver, and maybe disable the device if you don't want to install the
    driver for it (just an educated guess, I'm no Windows expert).

    - anton
    Most things have to be believed to be seen

    Anton Ertl, Nov 10, 2008
  4. Mike Ray

    me/2 Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:55:57 +0000, Shawk <.3guesses>
    wrote:

    :>DRS wrote:
    :>> "Mike Ray" <> wrote in message
    :>> news:gf9hd5$bhm$
    :>>> Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
    :>>
    :>> [...]
    :>>
    :>>> Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
    :>>> about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)
    :>>
    :>> Did you install the HDMI audio driver?
    :>
    :>
    :>That gets my vote too..

    Me three...

    me/2

    me/2, Nov 11, 2008
  5. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    me/2 wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:55:57 +0000, Shawk <.3guesses>
    > wrote:
    >
    > :>DRS wrote:
    > :>> "Mike Ray" <> wrote in message
    > :>> news:gf9hd5$bhm$
    > :>>> Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
    > :>>
    > :>> [...]
    > :>>
    > :>>> Did I miss something? (I did set BIOS to PCI when I put in the X700
    > :>>> about 3 years ago. and it work great, no 'Found new hardware' pop-up)
    > :>>
    > :>> Did you install the HDMI audio driver?
    > :>
    > :>
    > :>That gets my vote too..
    >
    > Me three...
    >
    > me/2

    OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and the
    drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you install it
    through CCC or seperate.

    Mike Ray, Nov 11, 2008
  6. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > Mike Ray <> writes:
    >> Pulled out a working ATI X700 - Put in a HD 3650 (needed Shader 3.0)
    >>
    >> Here is what I did:
    >> 1. Went into ADD/Remove and removed ALL ATI stuff.
    >> 2. When a reboot was required, I rebooted to VGA 'safe mode'
    >> 3. Shut down and turned off system
    >> 4. pulled X700 pci-e and installed HD 3460 pci-e
    >> 5. restarted XP normally and got 'Found new hardware' pop-up
    >> 6. canceled 'Found new hardware' and put in ATI driver CD (came with card
    >> 7. Installed driver, CCC etc. (took several min)
    >> 8. Rebooted after driver finished but again got 'Found new hardware'
    >> 9. again canceled 'Found new hardware'
    >> 10. Set up desktop res and tried some games. (Far Cry 1, UT3(now works),
    >> Raven Shield, TRL(could now turn advanced graphics) , TR underworld demo)
    >>
    >> Everything works and looks great except:
    >> 1. Every time I re-boot I get the 'Found new hardware'pop-up
    >> 2. Device Manager has a problem with 'unknown PCI device'

    > I guess there is another device on the card which needs a separate
    > driver. Since you alwas cancel its installation, it never gets
    > installed. You could look in the device manager which device has no
    > driver, and maybe disable the device if you don't want to install the
    > driver for it (just an educated guess, I'm no Windows expert).
    >
    > - anton

    Thanks. Sounds like (and from other posts also) you are right. It is
    likely the HDMI sound driver. I did try to install it (instead of
    cancel) but it could not find the correct driver even on the CD that
    come with the card. I will look some more in the CD's sup folders.

    Mike Ray, Nov 11, 2008
  7. Mike Ray

    DRS Guest

    "Mike Ray" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    > OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and
    > the drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you
    > install it through CCC or seperate.

    If you're installing from the ~75MB setup package that comes with the card
    it's part of the chain of installations that you apparently cancelled part
    way through. However, you can download it and install it separately. The
    ATI HDMI Audio driver is ~3.4MB. For XP SP2 and earlier you may also need
    to install a Microsoft patch (KB888111), also available from the ATI
    download site. It's ~700KB.

    DRS, Nov 12, 2008
  8. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    DRS wrote:
    > "Mike Ray" <> wrote in message
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and
    >> the drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you
    >> install it through CCC or seperate.

    > If you're installing from the ~75MB setup package that comes with the card
    > it's part of the chain of installations that you apparently cancelled part
    > way through. However, you can download it and install it separately. The
    > ATI HDMI Audio driver is ~3.4MB. For XP SP2 and earlier you may also need
    > to install a Microsoft patch (KB888111), also available from the ATI
    > download site. It's ~700KB.

    Thanks I will check both the driver and patch...BTW I did let the
    install finish the first time. I ran CCC and set up my desk top and all
    looked good. It was at the next boot, latter that day, the XP 'found new
    hardware' but could not find the required file (even on the ATI CD).

    Haven't had much chance to look into it yet, too busy with online RVS...hehe

    Mike Ray, Nov 12, 2008
  9. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    Mike Ray wrote:
    > DRS wrote:
    >> "Mike Ray" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> OK not that I know of. You would think it would install with CCC and
    >>> the drivers. I don't use the HDMI port yet but will check. Do you
    >>> install it through CCC or seperate.

    >> If you're installing from the ~75MB setup package that comes with the
    >> card it's part of the chain of installations that you apparently
    >> cancelled part way through. However, you can download it and install
    >> it separately. The ATI HDMI Audio driver is ~3.4MB. For XP SP2 and
    >> earlier you may also need to install a Microsoft patch (KB888111),
    >> also available from the ATI download site. It's ~700KB.
    >>

    > Thanks I will check both the driver and patch...BTW I did let the
    > install finish the first time. I ran CCC and set up my desk top and all
    > looked good. It was at the next boot, latter that day, the XP 'found new
    > hardware' but could not find the required file (even on the ATI CD).
    >
    > Haven't had much chance to look into it yet, too busy with online
    > RVS...hehe

    Ok I rechecked the ATI CD and yes there is an HDAudio driver folder with
    and *.inf and other files. I went to device manager then too the 'pci
    device' that had no driver and said 'up date the driver' and look in the
    HDaudio folder on the ATI CD. It still could not find the correct
    driver?? By the HD activity I could tell it was also looking in folders
    on the HD. Isn't the *.inf file all that is needed to direct you to and
    load the driver?? Thanks

    Mike Ray, Nov 14, 2008
  10. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    Mike Ray wrote:
    > Mike Ray wrote:
    >> DRS wrote:
    >>> "Mike Ray" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>

    > Ok I rechecked the ATI CD and yes there is an HDAudio driver folder with
    > and *.inf and other files. I went to device manager then too the 'pci
    > device' that had no driver and said 'up date the driver' and look in the
    > HDaudio folder on the ATI CD. It still could not find the correct
    > driver?? By the HD activity I could tell it was also looking in folders
    > on the HD. Isn't the *.inf file all that is needed to direct you to and
    > load the driver?? Thanks

    Well here is another problem that started. CCC pops up and says the
    'current driver is not compatible with CCC - Please update your driver'.
    Anyone seen that? Is this the HDMI audio problem (which I can't seem to
    fix) still? Gee the driver and CCC were on the same CD!
    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike Ray, Nov 18, 2008
  11. Mike Ray

    Anton Ertl Guest

    Mike Ray <> writes:
    >Well here is another problem that started. CCC pops up and says the
    >'current driver is not compatible with CCC - Please update your driver'.
    >Anyone seen that?

    I see that ever since I upgraded the Catalyst driver from 8.8 to 8.10
    without upgrading CCC. I guess I should update CCC, not the driver.

    Anton Ertl, Nov 19, 2008
  12. Mike Ray

    Mike Ray Guest

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > Mike Ray <> writes:
    >> Well here is another problem that started. CCC pops up and says the
    >> 'current driver is not compatible with CCC - Please update your driver'.
    >> Anyone seen that?

    > I see that ever since I upgraded the Catalyst driver from 8.8 to 8.10
    > without upgrading CCC. I guess I should update CCC, not the driver.
    >
    > - anton

    Thanks for the reply. I am going to check out all versions of driver and
    CCC and start a support ticket with ATI(AMD). My system seems to work OK
    but I do get a card 'reset' once in a while playing Raven Shield. My
    game pauses, monitor loses signal and shuts down for about 3 seconds
    than everything returns to normal and I keep playing the game. (and if I
    am lucky I didn't get shot during the game pause) I haven't had resets
    anywhere else yet but I have only had the card (HD 3650) a week. Today I
    pick up TR Underworld and will start playing that (which is why I even
    got the card(needed Shader 3.0)) so I will give it a workout.
    Mike

    Mike Ray, Nov 19, 2008