ADSL2 to Fibre Speeds

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My ISP is Sky and I previously had a ~15MB ADSL2 connection, however a fibre cabinet was finally installed and we switched over to Fibre broadband a couple of weeks ago.

Our speed has only increased ever so slightly to ~22MB (although upload is now much better at 4MB).

I was expecting a little more based on a few anecdotal stories and example graphs that I have seen. Does this sort of speed sound about right? We're about 750m from the cabinet (as the crow flies).

I'm happy enough with the speed, I'm just surprised that there wasn't a slightly bigger jump.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm, did a bit of googling as I wrote the post above, and this does seem to match this graph:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1343832884.png
    1343832884.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,545

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It does drop off quick, and I must admit I thought (or rather assumed, my bad!) you were a little closer to the cab than that. Though the biggest issue with be the quality and route of the D side. (last copper part.back to your property) Knowing BT it could go to the next street and back before it goes to you! lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought the cabinet was a lot closer at first, as there is a similar green box just 50m from our house - but it appears that it's not a BT cabinet (looks almost identical). Shame as that would have been some tasty speeds :D.

Reaction score
Fibre broadband ? is it a VDSL2 connection ?
If so, it's still awful, since the local loop (and worse yet, all the way from the central office to the cabinet) is still the traditional 2-pair copper cable.
check out the figure down here.
1260876832.jpeg

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Henry :).

Yep, it's VDSL2. Our speed seems to have settled at ~ 20Mbps now, hopefully it'll improve a little more once vectoring is introduced.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That chart is a little conservative for FTTC imo. Heres a typical result from my connection at this time..

4205935082.png

Strangely I cannot get any higher than that for my upload (PC wired via Cat6), but my phone, tablet etc will get 18+ down via 5Ghz Wireless.... :(

Tried all the usual stuff (drivers etc) and it still won't go any higher.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Typical result for mine with TalkTalk. Funny my iPad gets higher upload over WiFi

Reaction score
you are quite right guy regarding the speed. it's not up to date. I 've posted it to clarify the infrastructure and where it's relied on copper cables and where on fibre optic cables.

Reaction score
We went to fibre a while back & good speeds we get.:bow:
Would never go back to no fibre now.:D

Ask a Question