adprep /forestprep failure

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Upgrade' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2004.

    I just recently upgraded our W2K Exch2K servers to W2K3 and Exch2K3. All
    went well with no issues. No I'm trying to build a new W2K3 AD server to
    start migrating our W2K AD servers. When I run forestprep, I receive the
    following error. The account(s) I've used are all in the Schema Admins group.

    Adprep encountered an LDAP error.
    Error code: 0x20. Server extended error code: 0x208d, Server error message:
    0000
    208D: NameErr: DSID-031001BD, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of:
    'CN=Public Key Services,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=uuhost,DC=net'
    ..

    Adprep was unable to update forest-wide information.
    [Status/Consequence]
    Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema
    maste
    r in order to complete this operation.

    Any Ideas?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Guest, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Hello,

    Thank you for posting.

    I understand that you are unable to complete the forestprep.

    Please verify the FSMO roles in the forest. Run dcdiag/v command and check
    the results. Please verify if there are any error messages displayed.

    If any FSMO roles are missing, you can seize the FSMO roles. The following
    article helps you to seize the FSMO roles.

    Using Ntdsutil.exe to seize or transfer FSMO roles to a domain controller
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

    Please attach the details of dcdiag in your response for further diagnosis
    of the issue.

    I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
    anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
    nice day!

    Rashmi

    --------------------

    Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT], Oct 18, 2004

    emersonlenon Guest

    I get the following error when trying to run adprep /forestprep on our
    win2k DC:

    Adprep was unable to complete because the call back function (null)
    failed.
    [Status/Consequence]
    Error message: Error(16) while running ""C:\WINNT\system32\CSVde.exe" -i
    -c DOMA
    INPLACEHOLDER "DC=carehawaii,DC=com" -u -f
    "C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\
    20050113141633\DisplaySpecifierUpgradeCsvActions.001.csv" -j
    "C:\WINNT\system32\
    debug\adprep\logs\20050113141633" -s doc.carehawaii.com". See error file:
    "C:\WI
    NNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20050113141633\DisplaySpecifierUpgradeCsvError.00
    1.txt." (0x80004005).
    [User Action]
    Check the log file Adprep.log, in the
    C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\200501
    13141633 directory for more information.

    Adprep was unable to update forest-wide information.
    [Status/Consequence]
    Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema
    maste
    r in order to complete this operation.
    [User Action]
    Check the log file, Adprep.log, in the
    C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20050
    113141633 directory for more information.

    Anybody know what to do, please email me.

    emersonlenon, Jan 14, 2005