Adprep error.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory' started by lazyadmin, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. lazyadmin

    lazyadmin Guest

    I am running adprep /forestprep against my native Windows 2000 domain. I
    was logged on as Enterprise, Domain, Schema admin and I was performing the
    upgrade on the Schema Master FSMO role holder.

    At the end I got the following message:

    http://dortoh.ca/crap/error.txt

    Ldap Error 0x33 is LDAP_BUSY??? So I did some digging in the other logs and
    it looks like everything completed successfully.

    schupgr.log http://dortoh.ca/crap/schupgr.txt

    ldif.log, and ldif.log.0 through ldif.log.16 all end with:

    ## entries modified successfully.

    The command has completed successfully

    The entire ADPrep.log is here:

    http://dortoh.ca/crap/adprep.txt

    Any ideas? It looks like everything completed successfully, besides the
    error at the end. I looked it up and LDAP Error 0x33 means LDAP_Busy. I
    guess it is possible LDAP was busy at the time but how would I know if
    everything did indeed complete successfully?

    Is there a command I can run to verify my schema is ready for /domainprep?

    Rod
    http://dortoh.ca

    lazyadmin, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Hi

    It seems to be saying it couldn't contact the Schema Master during the
    forestprep. What's the setup for your domain? Where is the Schema Master
    in relation to the DC you ran this on?

    Kind regards
    --
    Mark Renoden [MSFT]
    Windows Platform Support Team

    Mark Renoden [MSFT], Dec 9, 2004

  3. lazyadmin

    lazyadmin Guest

    It was run on the Schema Master. I have two DC's and this one holds all the
    FSMO roles. I ran the adprep on this DC.

    Something I just noticed when I went to ensure I was on the Schema Master.
    I loaded up the AD Schema MMC and tried to view the Operations Master and it
    said it was offline? I reloaded the schema and I can look at the Schema
    again and the Operations Master is showing online again. I also verified
    that I did run adprep on the correct DC. Now I am not 100% the Schema was
    online before, but I can't imagine how it went offline.

    I did check with DCDIAG and REPADMIN the day before and everything passed.

    Would it hurt to run adprep /forestprep again now that I am sure that the
    Schema Master is online? Or is there a way to verify that the changes were
    applied to the schema? I wouldn't want to run it again and end up with a
    few hundred DUP records :p

    Thanks!

    Rod
    http://dortoh.ca

    lazyadmin, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Hi Rod

    I haven't been able to find much on this. Similar issues usually end up
    resolved by re-running the forestprep operation. My understanding is that
    checks are made before carrying out an operation so that you don't end up
    with dups. Bottom line is take a backup before you try again :)

    There's one or two loose references to using the workaround section in:

    329194 IPSec Policy Permissions in Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329194

    I'm not sure how this is relevant given the object you're having problems
    with however.

    Sorry I'm not more help. Just doesn't seem like a common problem.

    Kind regards

    Mark Renoden [MSFT], Dec 9, 2004
  5. lazyadmin

    lazyadmin Guest

    Well I ran it a 2nd time, not much happened, looked like it was just
    verifying everything.

    But!

    Adprep successfully updated the forest-wide information.

    So I guess that is a good thing. Wish list? Adprep /verify ;)

    Thanks!

    Rod

    lazyadmin, Dec 9, 2004
  6. Good to hear it worked out!