Adobe just deleted a file from my computer

Discussion in 'DIY PC' started by John Doe, Oct 14, 2011.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I just updated Firefox and was advised that Adobe (something or
    another) needed to be upgraded. Adobe offered the file for
    download with optional crapware. So I downloaded the file to my
    software/communications folder. Then ran the file. Apparently it
    installed correctly. But the file is no longer in my folder. I
    know that happens with temporary files, but I think that's the
    first time a program has ever deleted itself without asking from a
    folder that I downloaded it to. I'd like to do something, but
    Adobe has a stranglehold, as always in Windows. If I ever get half
    a chance, I will rid my life of Adobe products.

    I am trying to get WatchESPN to work properly in Windows XP SP3
    using Firefox. Using WatchESPN crashes my system (a hard crash),
    and I think it has something to do with Adobe Flash Player.
    Apparently it's the same (or similar) with Internet Explorer. I'm
    on the lookout for a hint of hardware trouble, at the same time.
    But playing ESPN streaming media is the only time it crashes, and
    it's easy to reproduce.

    John Doe, Oct 14, 2011

  2. John Doe

    Paul Guest

    John Doe wrote:
    > I just updated Firefox and was advised that Adobe (something or
    > another) needed to be upgraded. Adobe offered the file for
    > download with optional crapware. So I downloaded the file to my
    > software/communications folder. Then ran the file. Apparently it
    > installed correctly. But the file is no longer in my folder. I
    > know that happens with temporary files, but I think that's the
    > first time a program has ever deleted itself without asking from a
    > folder that I downloaded it to. I'd like to do something, but
    > Adobe has a stranglehold, as always in Windows. If I ever get half
    > a chance, I will rid my life of Adobe products.
    >
    > I am trying to get WatchESPN to work properly in Windows XP SP3
    > using Firefox. Using WatchESPN crashes my system (a hard crash),
    > and I think it has something to do with Adobe Flash Player.
    > Apparently it's the same (or similar) with Internet Explorer. I'm
    > on the lookout for a hint of hardware trouble, at the same time.
    > But playing ESPN streaming media is the only time it crashes, and
    > it's easy to reproduce.

    If its Flash, you can try here. I use these archived versions, as they
    become available. I never bother with the "web based" browser update
    for Flash. I do them manually. If you need to "go backwards", this
    may give you the materials you need.

    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

    When you have problems with Flash, you can try disabling hardware
    acceleration. That's the only "fix" I know of.

    Your ESPN stream is probably protected by more than the normal
    streaming methods, and it could be some custom CODEC or the like,
    which is tipping over and crashing. If you really want to get
    this to work, you're going to need more tech info about what
    ESPN is using.

    Crashing the whole computer is pretty impressive. It implies the
    kernel tipped over, and one way to do that is install an actual
    driver (as the driver runs at kernel level). Normally, applications
    can't tip over the kernel, and just the application itself would be
    affected. So you gotta wonder what they're doing... Even the Flash
    hardware acceleration features, should be going though some kind of
    API, rather than accessing the video card directly.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 14, 2011

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Paul <> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote:

    >> I am trying to get WatchESPN to work properly in Windows XP SP3
    >> using Firefox. Using WatchESPN crashes my system (a hard
    >> crash), and I think it has something to do with Adobe Flash
    >> Player. Apparently it's the same (or similar) with Internet
    >> Explorer. I'm on the lookout for a hint of hardware trouble, at
    >> the same time. But playing ESPN streaming media is the only
    >> time it crashes, and it's easy to reproduce.

    > If its Flash, you can try here. I use these archived versions,
    > as they become available. I never bother with the "web based"
    > browser update for Flash. I do them manually. If you need to "go
    > backwards", this may give you the materials you need.
    >
    > http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

    Like it says on that page, you can uninstall their stuff first.
    I just tried that. Upon starting the thing, the appearance is
    different, and that's a good sign. I think that's the fix, but
    I will post if not.

    > When you have problems with Flash, you can try disabling
    > hardware acceleration. That's the only "fix" I know of.
    >
    > Your ESPN stream is probably protected by more than the normal
    > streaming methods, and it could be some custom CODEC or the
    > like, which is tipping over and crashing. If you really want to
    > get this to work, you're going to need more tech info about what
    > ESPN is using.
    >
    > Crashing the whole computer is pretty impressive. It implies the
    > kernel tipped over, and one way to do that is install an actual
    > driver (as the driver runs at kernel level). Normally,
    > applications can't tip over the kernel, and just the application
    > itself would be affected. So you gotta wonder what they're
    > doing...

    Like an eerie memory that dates back to using Windows 9x. On the
    bright side, at least it was easy to reproduce, just by starting
    WatchESPN (formerly ESPN3, and before that it was ESPN 360) and
    clicking around on the slider. The system instantly slowed to a
    crawl, and shortly became entirely unresponsive. Trying to shut
    down stuff did not help. Eventually, usually the blue screen would
    appear momentarily, and then BLINK.

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Oct 14, 2011
  4. John Doe

    Flasherly Guest

    On Oct 14, 12:36 am, John Doe <> wrote:
    > I just updated Firefox and was advised that Adobe (something or
    > another) needed to be upgraded. Adobe offered the file for
    > download with optional crapware. So I downloaded the file to my
    > software/communications folder. Then ran the file. Apparently it
    > installed correctly. But the file is no longer in my folder. I
    > know that happens with temporary files, but I think that's the
    > first time a program has ever deleted itself without asking from a
    > folder that I downloaded it to. I'd like to do something, but
    > Adobe has a stranglehold, as always in Windows. If I ever get half
    > a chance, I will rid my life of Adobe products.
    >
    > I am trying to get WatchESPN to work properly in Windows XP SP3
    > using Firefox. Using WatchESPN crashes my system (a hard crash),
    > and I think it has something to do with Adobe Flash Player.
    > Apparently it's the same (or similar) with Internet Explorer. I'm
    > on the lookout for a hint of hardware trouble, at the same time.
    > But playing ESPN streaming media is the only time it crashes, and
    > it's easy to reproduce.

    It's dirty, quick, and will puke all over some PDF files, but (as with
    different levels of subsistence)...

    via alt freeware Sumatra PDF is a slim, open-source PDF viewer for
    Windows

    http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

    (That is *not* what I use first to stretch pages, up to two at a time,
    to fill up a full-screen at 37" with nothing else from the program
    interface, itself, left to view, other than only two PDF pages
    displayed, with neither abrupt breaks nor annoying judders in
    transition to be able to use four arrow pad keys - mostly two, though,
    down and sideways - before sitting down close enough to navigate and
    deftly play, more or less never set to auto-scroll, through tortuous
    transcriptions of classical musical.)

    Flasherly, Oct 14, 2011
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Flasherly <Flasherly live.com> wrote:

    > It's dirty, quick, and will puke all over some PDF files, but
    > (as with different levels of subsistence)...

    The subject is streaming media.

    John Doe, Oct 14, 2011
  6. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    To be clear...
    If you experience crashing, using their uninstall tool before
    updating flash player might be a very good idea.

    John Doe, Oct 14, 2011
  7. John Doe

    Flasherly Guest

    On Oct 14, 11:28 am, John Doe <> wrote:
    > Flasherly <Flasherly live.com> wrote:
    > > It's dirty, quick, and will puke all over some PDF files, but
    > > (as with different levels of subsistence)...

    > The subject is streaming media.

    Last time I got quick and dirty...

    The open F4V/FLV specification documents file format information for
    storing media content used to deliver streaming audio and video for
    playback in Adobe ...
    www.adobe.com/devnet/f4v.html - Cached - Similar

    for firefox to get (real player) FLV files

    (I was using example production FLV file releases at http://www.guitarmasterclass.net
    - they may have been recommended for Real Player)

    Flash Player only stand alone installation. You can download the file
    to install at a later date or use it to reinstall the player on a
    fresh version of Windows (binary backups. . . not sure the plugin
    actually stays on my sys or if I've a substitute to Adobe, in any
    event Adobe doesn't get in past a registry locker utility I run while
    online).

    install unlocker and use explorer to goto firefox cache to copy FLV
    file (w/ temp ext)

    Unlocker1.8.7.exe releases unshared system resource hooks to a FLV
    file.

    Follow through with associating the file type to wimpy to play or
    store adobe streams for standalone media config.

    ================
    Wimpy FLV Player
    ================
    Available at wimpyplayer.com version 3.0.9

    Flasherly, Oct 14, 2011
  8. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    After using the uninstall utility before upgrading flash player... The
    startup appearance of WatchESPN video changed, that was a good sign.
    Clicking around on the video player slider has caused only one crash,
    and instead of bringing down my whole system, a flash player error
    appeared (for the first time). I'm sure that's the solution.

    John Doe, Oct 17, 2011