Admin Rights for Access Security Setup

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2005.

    Must you have Admin Rights to use Access Security Setup.

    Guest, Aug 5, 2005

    Hi.

    > Must you have Admin Rights to use Access Security Setup.

    No. One must have Full Control Windows security permissions on the
    directories where the Workgroup Information File and the database files will
    be located. (For Access 97 one must also have read/write/delete Windows
    security permissions on the C:\Windows\System32 directory as well, because
    the default Workgroup Information File is located here and it must be opened
    and copied in order to create a new Workgroup.) And one needs Read Windows
    security permissions for the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared
    sub-directories in order to use the necessary libraries.

    One must also be a member of the Admins group in order to secure/unsecure
    the database using User-Level security, but it's best to be the owner of the
    database to avoid any glitches.

    One must also have sufficient Windows security permissions to be able to
    write to the Windows Registry Key for the location of the current Workgroup
    Information File that one is joined to, but this almost never presents a
    problem because Windows System Administrators rarely lock down this section
    of Windows Registry Keys (it's for MRU file lists, so doing so would
    interfere with or cripple most Windows applications).

    HTH.

    Gunny

    See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
    See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips.

    (Please remove ZERO_SPAM from my reply E-mail address, so that a message
    will be forwarded to me.)
    Beware to those who use munged addresses: known newsgroup E-mail harvesters
    for spammers are and

    - - -
    When you see correct answers to your question posted in Microsoft's Online
    Community, please sign in to the Community and mark these posts as "Answers,"
    so that all may benefit by filtering on "Answered questions" and quickly
    finding the right answers to similar questions. Remember that questions
    answered the quickest are often from those who have a history of rewarding
    the contributors who have taken the time to answer questions correctly.

    Guest, Aug 5, 2005

    Thank for clarifying the security issue.

    Well, I do not have Admin Rights. I suggestions on setup local userid and
    password with out using Access Security.

    Guest, Aug 8, 2005

    Hi.

    > Well, I do not have Admin Rights. I suggestions on setup local userid and
    > password with out using Access Security.

    You've hit a brick wall, then. One cannot create an Access User ID and
    password without using Access's User Level Security, and one cannot create a
    local User ID and password for the Windows operating system without Windows
    admin rights. You'll need to contact your Windows system administrator to
    create a local User ID and password for you on the computer.

    Guest, Aug 8, 2005