    Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows 2003 Server as a DC in
    a Windows 2000 Domain running in Mixed Mode? Yes there is an old Windows
    NT4 Server that is part of the domain.

    Guest, Mar 24, 2005

    Herb Martin Guest

    "Dan S" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows 2003 Server as a DC

    in
    > a Windows 2000 Domain running in Mixed Mode?

    Sure, but it is not a big deal -- of course it is then
    called a Windows 2003 Domain <grin>.

    You upgrade a Win2000 DC or you DCPromo a
    Win2003 Server in the domain to achieve this
    configuration.

    > Yes there is an old Windows
    > NT4 Server that is part of the domain.

    Not an issue -- that is what Mixed mode is for.

    Herb Martin, Mar 24, 2005

    I was a little vague on what I wanted to know.

    Is it necessary to run adprep on the Windows 2000 DC running the Schema
    Master and Infrastructure Master when introducing a Windows 2003 DC or is
    this only necessary if you plan to upgade the Windows 2003 DC's and Windows
    NT4 DC?

    The plan for now is to leave the 2000 DC's and NT4 DC as is.

    If it is necessary to run adprep, are there any concerns that I need to know
    with the NT4 DC?

    FYI, the NT4 DC will eventually be "replaced" with a new Windows 2003 Server
    .. (no upgrade)

    Guest, Mar 24, 2005
  4. In news:,
    Dan S <> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:

    >> Is there any documentation regarding adding a Windows
    >> 2003 Server as a DC in a Windows 2000 Domain running in
    >> Mixed Mode? Yes there is an old Windows NT4 Server
    >> that is part of the domain.

    Before you can promote an additional Windows Server 2003 domain controller
    into a Windows 2000 forest, an administrator must successfully run adprep
    /forestprep on the schema operations master and run adprep /domainprep on
    the infrastructure master in the Windows 2000 forest.

    278875 - Cannot Promote a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller into a
    Windows 2000 Forest
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278875&sd=RMVP

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Mar 24, 2005

    Re: Adding a Windows 2003 Server (DC) to a Windows 2000 Domain Mix

    Thanks! Then this means that I will need 2003 CALS Correct?

    Guest, Mar 24, 2005
  6. Re: Adding a Windows 2003 Server (DC) to a Windows 2000 Domain Mix

    In news:,
    Dan S <> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Thanks! Then this means that I will need 2003 CALS
    > Correct?

    If you have changed the CALs to per seat, as long as you have enough seat
    licenses you should be OK.

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Mar 24, 2005