    manually typing in info. I don't feel confident in doing this.

    Is there a less fear provoking way that a technology challenged person can
    add Word and Excell choices to the right click menu?

    Guest, Jul 5, 2006

    Bert Kinney Guest

    Hi,

    This can easily be done using TweakUI, Templates.

    Microsoft PowerToys - Tweakui for WinXP: Ver. 2.10 requires WinXP SP1 and
    later
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/downloads/powertoys.asp

    TweakUI can be accessed from Start - All Programs - Powertoys for Windows XP

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    "stedai" wrote

    Bert Kinney, Jul 5, 2006

    Than you Bert. Forgive me for being so dense.

    I downloaded and now can access TweakUI. What in the TWeakUI user I/F do I
    need to select and what do I need to do to add Word and Excel?

    Thank you kindly,
    Steve

    Guest, Jul 5, 2006
  4. Steve

    Open TweakUI and select Templates in the menu. Place a check mark in the Excel item and OK your way out. If Excel does not appear in the list, click the Create button and navigate to the Excel.exe file. Select the file and click Open to add Excel to the list.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Ronnie Vernon MVP, Jul 5, 2006

    Ron,
    Excel was not a choice so I selected Create. I then used the browser window
    that came up to select Programs/MicrosoftOffice/Office11/Excel and selected
    Open.

    Then I got a error window titled Excel.exe and the message said "This
    document can not be used as a document template"

    I appreciate any additional thoughts...

    Best,
    Steve

    Guest, Jul 5, 2006

    Bert Kinney Guest

    Hi Steve,

    Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Templates and select
    Excel.xls.

    Bert Kinney, Jul 5, 2006
  7. Steve

    I guess you need to create an actual worksheet in Excel.

    Open Excel to a blank worksheet. Click File/Save As and save the file to the Desktop using the default name (Book1.xls).

    Now open TweakUI and create the new template browsing to the file you created on the desktop. Apply/OK. Close TweakUI and you can then delete the Excel file that was saved to the desktop.

    You should now have the Excel template in the right click menu.

    Ronnie Vernon MVP, Jul 5, 2006

    Bert,
    Thanks for the try.

    Following your instructions gives me a different error message. Upon
    selecting C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Templates and then selecting
    Excel.xls, I get the following:
    No application is associated with this document. Create an association by
    using Explorer.

    Going to Explorer and double clicking on the Excel template (in
    Doc7settings\Steve\Templates) brings up Excel.

    Right clicking on the template and selecting properties shows that it Opens
    with Microsoft Office Excel.

    Other thoughts, please...

    Best,
    Steve

    Guest, Jul 5, 2006

    I get the following:
    After trying your suggestion, I get "No application is associated with this
    document. Create an association by using Explorer."

    Going to the desktop and double clicking on the Excel Book1.xls file
    brings up Excel.

    In addition right clicking on the file and selecting properties shows that
    it Opens
    with Microsoft Office Excel.

    So it seams that Excel is in fact associated with the .xls file type.
    Making the error message puzzling.

    Other thoughts, please...

    Best,
    Steve

    Guest, Jul 5, 2006
  10. Steve,

    Click Start, Run and type:

    CMD /C ASSOC .xls=Excel.Sheet.8

    If that does not help, you have two options:

    1. Repair Microsoft Excel
    2. Download FileExtInfo from the following page, unzip and run the utility.
    Then generate a file association report for .XLS file type, and post the
    info here. Perhaps one of us will investigate.

    FileExtInfo: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fileextinfo.htm

    --
    Regards,

    Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
    Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jul 6, 2006

    Ramesh,
    Thank you. That fixed my problem.

    I also want to add Word. I get the same error message as previously with
    Excel. Please tell me the CMD text that I can enter to associate my Word
    application.

    Best,
    Steve

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jul 6, 2006

    Bert Kinney Guest

    Very nice Ramesh!!!

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://bertk.mvps.org

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote

    Bert Kinney, Jul 7, 2006
  14. Thanks, Bert!

    --
    Regards,

    Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
    Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

    "Bert Kinney" <> wrote in message
    Very nice Ramesh!!!

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Jul 7, 2006

    Just wanted to drop a note. Thank you very much, Ramesh for your help.
    ....and thanks to one and all for taking an interest in my prooblem and
    helping me.

    Best Regards to all,
    Steve

    Guest, Jul 10, 2006

    genericgeorge

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Northeast USA
    I had the same problem with Microsoft Word 2010 not showing up in the desktop's right click menu, under create new (word document). All I did was add MS Word Shortcut to my desktop, and then all the Word Programs started showing up in my desktop's right click menu as I wanted. I hope that helps.

    genericgeorge, Feb 21, 2012