    How do I add an item to this combobox? I don't want to use the
    ListFillRange property b/c I will be putting this inside of a loop.

    Thanks in advance!

    Daniel Jones, Aug 27, 2009

  2. Daniel Jones

    Peter T Guest

    Sub test()
    Dim cbo As msforms.ComboBox
    Dim i As Long

    ReDim arr(0 To 5 - 1) As String

    For i = 1 To UBound(arr) + 1
    arr(i - 1) = CStr(i * 11)
    Next

    ' could reference like this
    Set cbo = Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1

    ' but this gives more flexibility
    Set cbo = Worksheets("Sheet1").OLEObjects("ComboBox1").Object

    'assign entire array (replacing existing)
    cbo.List = arr

    ' add a new 3rd item (1st item is index-0)
    cbo.AddItem "abc", 2

    ' add an item at the end
    cbo.AddItem "xyz"

    End Sub

    Regards,
    Peter T

    Peter T, Aug 27, 2009

  3. Sheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.AddItem ("Item1")
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

    Jim Thomlinson, Aug 27, 2009
  4. Daniel Jones

    Logos Guest

    On Aug 27, 5:18 pm, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-
    This-.com> wrote:
    > Sheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.AddItem ("Item1")
    > --
    > HTH...
    >
    > Jim Thomlinson
    >
    > "Daniel Jones" wrote:
    > > I want to add an item to an activeX combobox that is located on a
    > > worksheet.  Note this is not the combbox from the forms toolbar, and
    > > its not the combobox inside of userforms, its the control toolbox
    > > combobox.

    > > I'm getting an object doesn't support this property error when I try
    > > the following:

    > > Sub PopulateList()
    > > Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.Items.Add ("Item1")
    > > End Sub

    > > How do I add an item to this combobox?  I don't want to use the
    > > ListFillRange property b/c I will be putting this inside of a loop.

    > > Thanks in advance!

    This is awesome - thanks guys! How would I go about deleting all of
    the items in the combo box? I figured out how to delete one at a time
    but couldn't figure out how to delete all.

    Thanks!

    Logos, Aug 27, 2009
  5. Daniel Jones

    Daniel Jones Guest

    Thanks! How would I go about deleting all of the items in the
    combobox? I could only discover how to delete one at a time like so

    Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.RemoveItem (0)

    Daniel Jones, Aug 27, 2009
  6. Try this...

    Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.Clear

    --
    Rick (MVP - Excel)

    Rick Rothstein, Aug 28, 2009
  7. Daniel Jones

    Daniel Jones Guest

    On Aug 28, 12:19 am, "Rick Rothstein"
    <> wrote:
    > Try this...
    >
    > Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.Clear
    >
    > --
    > Rick (MVP - Excel)
    >
    > "Daniel Jones" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks! How would I go about deleting all of the items in the
    > combobox? I could only discover how to delete one at a time like so
    >
    > Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.RemoveItem (0)
    >
    > On Aug 27, 5:18 pm, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-
    >
    > This-.com> wrote:
    > > Sheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.AddItem ("Item1")
    > > --
    > > HTH...

    > > Jim Thomlinson

    > > "Daniel Jones" wrote:
    > > > I want to add an item to an activeX combobox that is located on a
    > > > worksheet. Note this is not the combbox from the forms toolbar, and
    > > > its not the combobox inside of userforms, its the control toolbox
    > > > combobox.

    > > > I'm getting an object doesn't support this property error when I try
    > > > the following:

    > > > Sub PopulateList()
    > > > Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.Items.Add ("Item1")
    > > > End Sub

    > > > How do I add an item to this combobox? I don't want to use the
    > > > ListFillRange property b/c I will be putting this inside of a loop.

    > > > Thanks in advance!

    Thanks! is this supposed to work with an activex combo box (from
    control toolbox)? in the help file it says "This method will fail if
    it's applied to a built-in command bar control."

    Daniel Jones, Aug 28, 2009
  8. > Thanks! is this supposed to work with an activex combo
    > box (from control toolbox)? in the help file it says "This
    > method will fail if it's applied to a built-in command bar
    > control."

    You could always try any suggestions given to you on a newsgroup... that is
    usually faster than posting a question and waiting for an answer. Yes, this
    code works on a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox toolbar.

    --
    Rick (MVP - Excel)

    Rick Rothstein, Aug 28, 2009
  9. Daniel Jones

    Daniel Jones Guest

    On Aug 28, 2:25 pm, "Rick Rothstein"
    <> wrote:
    > > Thanks! is this supposed to work with an activex combo
    > > box (from control toolbox)? in the help file it says "This
    > > method will fail if it's applied to a built-in command bar
    > > control."

    > You could always try any suggestions given to you on a newsgroup... that is
    > usually faster than posting a question and waiting for an answer. Yes, this
    > code works on a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox toolbar.
    >
    > --
    > Rick (MVP - Excel)
    >
    > "Daniel Jones" <> wrote in message

    > On Aug 28, 12:19 am, "Rick Rothstein"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Try this...

    > > Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.Clear

    > > --
    > > Rick (MVP - Excel)

    > > "Daniel Jones" <> wrote in message

    > > Thanks! How would I go about deleting all of the items in the
    > > combobox? I could only discover how to delete one at a time like so

    > > Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.RemoveItem (0)

    > > On Aug 27, 5:18 pm, Jim Thomlinson <James_Thomlin...@owfg-Re-Move-

    > > This-.com> wrote:
    > > > Sheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1.AddItem ("Item1")
    > > > --
    > > > HTH...

    > > > Jim Thomlinson

    Rick-

    You're right. I actually did try it first, I just noticed it when I
    was reading the help file. There doesn't seem to be very good help
    files on the various methods and properties of control tool box
    objects. Do you know of a site that offers a good reference for
    this? Thanks for your help.

    Daniel Jones, Aug 28, 2009
  10. > There doesn't seem to be very good help files on
    > the various methods and properties of control tool
    > box objects. Do you know of a site that offers a
    > good reference for this?

    You are right, there doesn't seem to be a lot of help for the Control
    Toolbox version of the ComboBox. Most properties, methods and events for it
    are the same as for the UserForm version of the control and you can get
    extensive help for those by putting a ComboBox on the UserForm, selecting it
    and hitting the F1 key. Just be aware, these two ComboBoxes do have
    differences, so when something from the help files for the UserForm ComboBox
    doesn't work on the worksheet ComboBox, you will have to figure out why and
    how to code around the difference.

    --
    Rick (MVP - Excel)

    Rick Rothstein, Aug 28, 2009
  11. Daniel Jones

    Daniel Jones Guest

    On Aug 28, 3:22 pm, "Rick Rothstein"
    <> wrote:
    > > There doesn't seem to be very good help files on
    > > the various methods and properties of control tool
    > > box objects.  Do you know of a site that offers a
    > > good reference for this?

    > You are right, there doesn't seem to be a lot of help for the Control
    > Toolbox version of the ComboBox. Most properties, methods and events for it
    > are the same as for the UserForm version of the control and you can get
    > extensive help for those by putting a ComboBox on the UserForm, selectingit
    > and hitting the F1 key. Just be aware, these two ComboBoxes do have
    > differences, so when something from the help files for the UserForm ComboBox
    > doesn't work on the worksheet ComboBox, you will have to figure out why and
    > how to code around the difference.
    >
    > --
    > Rick (MVP - Excel)

    Peter - I spent some more time digesting your response, which is
    incredibly helpful by the way. Out of curiosity, how exactly does
    referencing the control through OLEObjects make it more flexible? Is
    that what allows you the ability to assign entire arrays and add items
    in certain locations?

    Thanks Alot!

    Daniel Jones, Aug 29, 2009
  12. Daniel Jones

    Peter T Guest

    My first post in this thread never appeared in my Newsreader, I assumed it
    evaporated in the ether. I was a surprised to see your reply!

    Set cbo = Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1
    or
    Set cbo = Worksheets("Sheet1").OLEObjects("ComboBox1").Object

    These both set a reference to the Combobox, thereafter there's no difference
    with what you can do with 'cbo'. Either way works fine.

    However the first method must always be hardcoded whereas the second can
    accept a string variable, eg

    Dim sMyCombo as String
    sMyCombo = "ComboBox1"
    set cbo = .OLEObjects(sMyCombo).Object

    Typically you might have a whole bunch of code that processes different,
    albeit similar, controls under given conditions. All you need do is pass the
    relevant name as a string. Or maybe you might want to loop controls, etc.

    Peter T, Aug 29, 2009
  13. I was surprised to see his reply as well... I see no postings by you in this
    thread (I'm using Windows Mail as my newsreader).

    --
    Rick (MVP - Excel)

    Rick Rothstein, Aug 29, 2009
  14. Daniel Jones

    Peter T Guest

    How odd. I assume your newsreader is hooked into msnews.microsoft.com, like
    my OE.
    Quite a few of my messages seem to go missing, though this recent stray did
    at least make it to Google groups.

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...ogramming/browse_frm/thread/d91abf5581813f97#

    Daniel - could you advise where you picked up my post and is there any
    reason you replied to me by replying on Rick's message

    Regards,
    Peter T

    "Rick Rothstein" <> wrote in message
    >I was surprised to see his reply as well... I see no postings by you in
    >this thread (I'm using Windows Mail as my newsreader).
    >
    > --
    > Rick (MVP - Excel)
    >

    > "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message
    >> My first post in this thread never appeared in my Newsreader, I assumed
    >> it evaporated in the ether. I was a surprised to see your reply!

    <snip>

    Peter T, Aug 29, 2009
  15. Yes, I'm hooked into msnews.microsoft.com.

    And I was also wondering why Daniel replied to my message while directing it
    to you.

    Rick Rothstein, Aug 30, 2009
  16. Daniel Jones

    Daniel Jones Guest

    On Aug 30, 1:27 pm, "Rick Rothstein"
    <> wrote:
    > Yes, I'm hooked into msnews.microsoft.com.
    >
    > And I was also wondering why Daniel replied to my message while directingit
    > to you.
    >
    > --
    > Rick (MVP - Excel)
    >
    > "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message

    > > How odd. I assume your newsreader is hooked into msnews.microsoft.com,
    > > like my OE.
    > > Quite a few of my messages seem to go missing, though this recent stray
    > > did at least make it to Google groups.

    > >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/b...

    > > Daniel - could you advise where you picked up my post and is there any
    > > reason you replied to me by replying on Rick's message

    > > Regards,
    > > Peter T

    > > "Rick Rothstein" <> wrote in message
    > >>I was surprised to see his reply as well... I see no postings by you in
    > >>this thread (I'm using Windows Mail as my newsreader).

    > >> --
    > >> Rick (MVP - Excel)

    > >> "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message

    > > <snip>

    Guys- I'm using google groups. I'm new to this forum thing so I
    thought I was replying to everyone. In google groups the thread
    appears as a conversation, so I assumed everyone would be able to see
    my response. Let me know if I should be using it differently.

    Thanks,

    Daniel Jones, Aug 31, 2009
  17. Daniel Jones

    Daniel Jones Guest

    On Aug 29, 4:19 pm, "Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote:
    > My first post in this thread never appeared in my Newsreader, I assumed it
    > evaporated in the ether. I was a surprised to see your reply!
    >
    >     Set cbo = Worksheets("Sheet1").ComboBox1
    > or
    >     Set cbo = Worksheets("Sheet1").OLEObjects("ComboBox1").Object
    >
    > These both set a reference to the Combobox, thereafter there's no difference
    > with what you can do with 'cbo'.  Either way works fine.
    >
    > However the first method must always be hardcoded whereas the second can
    > accept a string variable, eg
    >
    > Dim sMyCombo as String
    >     sMyCombo = "ComboBox1"
    >    set cbo = .OLEObjects(sMyCombo).Object
    >
    > Typically you might have a whole bunch of code that processes different,
    > albeit similar, controls under given conditions. All you need do is pass the
    > relevant name as a string. Or maybe you might want to loop controls, etc.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Peter T
    >
    > "Daniel Jones" <> wrote in message

    > > Peter - I spent some more time digesting your response, which is
    > > incredibly helpful by the way.  Out of curiosity, how exactly does
    > > referencing the control through OLEObjects make it more flexible?
    > > Is that what allows you the ability to assign entire arrays and
    > > add items in certain locations?
    > > Thanks Alot!

    Thanks - This is a big help! I will definitely practice using the
    second method - it seems much more flexible.

    Daniel Jones, Aug 31, 2009
  18. Daniel Jones

    Peter T Guest

    Although google groups appears as a conversation you can view it in tree
    view and reply to individual messages. Indeed you did just that with your
    two most recent posts, in reply to Rick and myself.

    Previously you had directed a question to me while replying to Rick's
    message (also my post was not quoted in yours and so not in context).
    Whilst, er, unconventional and a bit confusing it's no problem! I only
    asked, and you would not have known, because my first post didn't make it to
    MS's server which is where Rick and I, read this ng. That's another subject.

    Peter T, Aug 31, 2009