    two old servers?

    Thanks,
    Brad

    Brad Baker, May 5, 2006

  2. Brad Baker wrote:
    > My company currently has 2 Active Directory Integrated DNS servers.
    > Since we are an ASP/ISP we have approximately 500-600 zones setup
    > currently.
    >
    > It's getting increasingly difficult to work with the DNS management
    > console, due to the number of zones. I.E Expanding the list of zones
    > takes 10 seconds or more, refreshing the list can take 10 seconds
    > etc. It's not too bad now, but we're only going to continue adding
    > zones so it will only become more and more painful to work with the
    > DNS management console.

    Use dnscmd.exe in a command prompt.

    > I was thinking of setting up two additional DNS servers, but my
    > question is, if the two new DNS servers are also active directory
    > integrated will they contain all the zones from the original two DNS
    > servers?

    They will if they are in the same domain as the original DC/DNS servers.

    > If so, is there a way to keep the zones in the two new
    > servers separate from the zones on the two old servers?

    Create the new servers in new domains (and if Win2k3 set replication to
    Domain Controllers in the AD domain <ADDomainName>)
    Also, if you're using Win2k3, you cannot mix replication for zones of the
    same name in the DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], May 5, 2006