Windows XP ActiveX Location of files

Reaction score
I need to remove an ActiveX program from a fully patched WinXP SP3 system and do not know where to look for the file.
I will not quote the file name to prevent embarrassment.

Can anyone help?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Use the search function from the START button.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

The quoted IE7 link leads to instructions on how to reset IE. This would destroy all the other settings currently in place which is not what is required. I want find the ActiveX file to check the version number as what is being installed seems to be an old version. Now that may be what the site intends but it causes problems with other sites.

Any more suggestions as to the folder in which ActiveX files are stored?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No, it doesn't destroy your activeX controls, just turns the non-default-nonloaded-by-windows ones off, you need then go turn the ones you want back on ... ;)

ActiveX controls were originally called "OLE controls" and used an .OCX file extension. They were Microsoft's second-generation component architecture (Visual Basic Controls (VBXs) were the first). OLE controls were renamed ActiveX and continued to use the .OCX name.

Programs, like Secunia PSI should help you ... :thumb:

You could always tell us what the hell it is you are trying to get rid of ... would make things a lot easier instead of this 20 questions lark. :rolleyes:

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You could always tell us what the hell it is you are trying to get rid of ... would make things a lot easier instead of this 20 questions lark. :rolleyes:

:user:

And I second that.No use tryng to help when you are pretty much having to guess what help the person needs. And don't worry about embarrasing yourself, I'm sure a few of us have done it on here before. I know Ihave...

Reaction score
SOLVED
I have installed SIW from Gtopala.com and this has given me all the information I required. Thanks for reading.

Ask a Question