    on the server first?

    The workstation works fine and is still accessing the data on the server but
    its not showing up again in the ADUC.

    tuuf, Jul 22, 2008

  2. tuuf

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    No it doesn't. You have to re-joint the workstation to the domain.

    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    * http://sl.mvps.org * http://msmvps.com/blogs/sp *

    S. Pidgorny, Jul 22, 2008

  3. tuuf wrote:
    > I have 1 server network (win2k server) + 10 workstations (win2k)
    > I accidentally deleted deleted one of the workstations in ADUC on the server
    > and can't seem to get it back. When a workstation logs onto the network it
    > doesnt automatically just show up in ADUC? Or do I actively have to add
    > workstations
    > on the server first?
    >
    > The workstation works fine and is still accessing the data on the server but
    > its not showing up again in the ADUC.

    Just log onto the workstation as admin. Remove it from the domain and
    add it to a WorkGroup. Reboot

    Now, Add it to the domain.

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold (MVP), Jul 22, 2008
  4. Hello tuuf,

    Yes, you have to join it to the domain again, for this bring it to workgroup,
    reboot and add it to the domain again with domain administrator.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber, Jul 22, 2008
  5. tuuf

    michael Guest

    thank you very much. I also have one more question. If I wanted to change
    the name of a workstation (to same name that a previous workstation had but
    no longer is present) how do I do it? I've tried in the past to just delete
    it from ADUC but the server still recognizes remembers the old workstations
    name and will not allow me to use this name for the new workstation. Someone
    said to me to delete it from ADUC, dhcp, dns. The only one that lists all
    the computers is ADUC so how would I delete necessary info in the other 2?

    michael, Jul 22, 2008
  6. tuuf

    Ken Aldrich Guest

    I have some advice. Before you remove the computer from the domain (add it
    to a workgroup) make sure you know the Local Administrator password. You
    will need it as soon as you reboot the machine. Countless times people have
    forgotten the local administrator password and remember to take this step
    too late.
    If you have to, reset it to something you know before you disjoin the
    computer from the domain. Then after the reboot, log in as the local
    administrator and then join it back into the domain. When this happens, it
    will automatically create the Active Directory account using the name of the
    machine. If you want to rename the machine, I recommend you do that before
    you join it to the domain.

    --
    Ken Aldrich
    DSRAZOR for Windows