Acid Test for Computer Audio System

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have a very unusual recording of a jet starting, taking off and landing which is by far the most realistic sounding I have ever come across. The sound of the jet upon landing and thrust reversers employed is just incredible. This I believe could be an acid test for any audio system.

If anyone is interested in checking out how realistic their computer audio is, I can oblige by sending the file in MP3 format, just PM me with your email address and the file will be on its way.

The file size is approx 2096 kb. I have converted it from the original in variable bit mode using Lame 3.93 encoder in as higher quality as possible but still managable by email.

Disclaimer

You should be very careful not to set the volume too high as it could damage your speakers/headphones and your hearing, hence, I will not take any responsibility of its misuse.

Reaction score
I'll take a copy to test these babies...see attached :)

They may not look that much but they were £30 the pair (!!) INCLUDING 5 metres of chunky speaker cable!!

Where from you ask.... Lidl of all places!

My best ever bargain yet. The sound quality is truly amazing for what they are - i have made photos fall off walls in other rooms when messing around with bass!

Link to email in signature Quad... Cheers :)

Attachments

• IMG_3773.JPG
    IMG_3773.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_3765.JPG
    IMG_3765.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 377
Reaction score
File recieved!

Sounds awesome, though you really have to crank the volume up louder than normal for it to be impressive...the quality is amazing :)

Off to see what its like on my Bass Headphones :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Sounds awesome, though you really have to crank the volume up louder than normal for it to be impressive...the quality is amazing :)
I am afraid that is one of the drawbacks of file compression when converted to MP3 format. If only you could hear the original, if only......

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
do you have an email account that can send out attachments that big?
I certainly do not have one, and not sure if any can. Do you know of any email which can handle that big an attachment? :eek:

I am really curious!

By the way the pictures you have posted of your speakers, I think they appear to be floorstandars and not bookshelf speakers, if so, you may not be getting full potential out of them. Correct me if I am wrong.:)

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
I certainly do not have one, and not sure if any can. Do you know of any email which can handle that big an attachment? :eek:

I am really curious!

By the way the pictures you have posted of your speakers, I think they appear to be floorstandars and not bookshelf speakers, if so, you may not be getting full potential out of them. Correct me if I am wrong.:)
Whats Gmail's limit?

They probably are floorstanders...but there is NO floorspace availiable for them!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Whats Gmail's limit?
I asked the question but your raised the same question again!:rolleyes:

Anyway I found the answer by doing a bit of search. For those who may not know how much the attachment size limitations are for Gmail.

With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB) in size. However, the precise amount allowable will depend on the attachment. When you add an attachment, the size of a file may increase because transport encodings are automatically added. (Transport encodings are the information that allows your message to be safely sent and read.)

This means that in some cases, attachments that are 6 to 10MB in size may push the total message size above 10MB. When this happens, Gmail displays a warning that your message exceeds the 10MB limit.

Reaction score
you can try accessing large files using this:D ---->10GB of space. you can use the free on and still have 10GB of onlline storage but can only upload and DL 100 MB monthly :( we'll there's a fee if you want it to be a limitless DL and upload. anyway just a suggestion coz im quite curios about that audio phile too:) .

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
badsektor said:
you can try accessing large files using this:D ---->10GB of space. you can use the free on and still have 10GB of onlline storage but can only upload and DL 100 MB monthly :( we'll there's a fee if you want it to be a limitless DL and upload. anyway just a suggestion coz im quite curios about that audio phile too:) .
Well I am not sure but uploading and downloading is something which I am particularly not thrilled with. I have better things to do.

I can send you the MP3 version so drop me a PM with your email and will oblige

Ask a Question