ACER 3212 - how to wirelessly connect to hotspots...???

Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respected Tech gurus and dear friends

I have just purchased an acer laptop.

The acer model is 3212 (3210 series)

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm3210.htm

All i want is to make sure that i can wirelessly access the internet at various hotspots through my laptop in USA especially at the hotel where i intend to stay (as the hotel does provide free wireless internet access)...????

BUT I am too too non technical person and am unsure whether the laptop acer 3212 needs any aditional hardware or software so that i can access the net in usa.

pzl have a look at the above link which gives the detailed feature of my laptop and suggest whether any additional hardware is required or not...????

I am absoultely new to this networking and wireless stuff and request you knowledgeable people to guide me in a simple and desciptive manner what should be done to achieve this.

I have also heard that there are lots of securities and vulnerabilities issues in wifi network. How can i be protected.

Again I am a very very non technical person and require simple step by step instruction.

Thanks a lot for your anticipated help and cooperation. ALso for ur time patience and effort with me.

Best regards

Sunando
kolkata INDIA

sunandoghosh (at) gmail (dot) com

p.s. plz add anything else which u may feel i may be missing or is nevertheless important.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi Sunando, and welcome to PC Review :)

You do not require any additional hardware or software on your laptop, as it is already fitted with an internal Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG network card (dual-band 802.11b/g).

You should be able to connect to the Hotel's wireless network if it is free by switching on the laptop wireless connection (there should be a button on or near the keyboard to switch the wireless connection on and off) - it will search for available networks and you just select it and press connect.

If you wish to use a fee-paying wi-fi hotspot, when you try to connect it will require you to purchase 'airtime' using a credit card etc.

Security is much the same as with any computer accessing the internet - make sure to have an adequate Anti-Virus suite and Firewall installed on your machine.

Ask a Question