    first, unlock the account and put it back on the login screen, and second,
    make sure this cannot happen again if someone tries to guess the password.

    Thanks

    Guest, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Mambrino wrote:
    > I am the sole user of my computer (running Windows XP Pro ver 5.1).
    > A family member tried to access it by guessing the password (three
    > times or more I suppose) which resulted in a prompt saying I had been
    > locked out. Said family member then turned computer off then on
    > again, somehow letting him in on the administrator account without
    > putting in any kind of password (apparently I am not on the
    > administrator account, which may be because I got the computer
    > through my University with certain presets to allow it to best work
    > on the campus network).
    >
    > My dilemma now is that all my settings and some documents are in MY
    > account, which incidentally I can still see via Documents and
    > Settings. How do I first, unlock the account and put it back on the
    > login screen, and second, make sure this cannot happen again if
    > someone tries to guess the password.

    Change the password using the Administrator account you can logon with. You
    can change other passwords with an Administrative account. Then log on as
    you again. Create another "Limited User" account and make sure it is easy
    to get on (maybe no password) for others to use if you are going to allow
    them to use your computer. Make your files/folders "Private".

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Jul 22, 2005