    Kevin Guest

    Why can`t my win2k pc see the shares on the XP pc
    (folders, printer, cdrom)???

    Kevin, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Kevin

    Ramsin G Guest

    "Kevin" <> wrote in message
    news:172be01c4489d$7cfa99c0$...
    > Why can`t my win2k pc see the shares on the XP pc
    > (folders, printer, cdrom)???

    have you got any firewalls on the machines?? try and disable them, see what
    happens.

    Are the shares on an NTFS partition?? could have security disallowing
    certain groups/users to access them. Ofcourse this wouldnt count for the
    CD-ROM.

    not enough information. can you not see them at all?? Or can you see them
    but can not access them??

    Are the two computers in the same workgroup/domain?? (they need to be)

    Have you got identical username/password on both machines (you need this
    too)

    Let us know how you went.

    --
    Ramsin G

    It isn't that UNIX isn't a user-freindly operating system, it's
    just very choosy about who its friends are, and even best friends
    fight sometimes. (remove "SPAM-FREE" from email to reply)

    Email Scanned with Norton Anti-Virus!!!

    Ramsin G, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Kevin

    Guest Guest

    I have an XP and Win2k LAN, My XP pc can access all Win2k
    folders and files but my Win2k pc can only see the Xp
    computer name. I have setup the printer for sharing and
    numerous folders. Both pc`s are in the same workgroup. I
    can ping and ICS works with the Xp pc as host
    There are only these two pc`s
    If I open up "computers near me" I can see the icon of the
    computer (XP pc named Compaq) but if I click, I get an
    error box titled Mshome (this is the workgroup)
    Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested
    logon type at this computer

    I have disabled firewall on both pc`s without any success.

    You wrote">Are the shares on an NTFS partition?? could
    have security disallowing certain groups/users to access
    them". How do I check this??

    You wrote "Have you got identical username/password on
    both machines (you need this too) Not sure I fully
    understand, does my XP pc have to have a user created
    identical to the Win2k pc?? Would the XP pc have to be
    logged on as that user??

    Thanks

    All help appreciated

    Guest, Jun 2, 2004