Accessing a shared printer

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by DaveC, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Hi,
    On a wireless network with PC and Mac laptop computers using a mix of OS
    versions, I've connected a Brother DCP-110c multifunction device
    (printer/scanner/etc.) to my PowerBook G3/400 (OS X 10.3.9). I checked the
    "Printer Sharing" and "Windows Sharing" check boxes in the System Preferences
    Sharing panel.

    The Apple PowerBooks and MacBooks can see and use the printer. It seems to be
    a bit more involved as to how to do this for the PCs. For Windows XP, for
    example, do I "Add a network printer" or is there some other means?

    BTW, the instructions for sharing a printer on a Mac say that it will be
    accessible for *all* on the network, not just Macs. To quote:

    "The printer queues you¹ve already configured for your Mac will be made
    available to other Mac and Windows systems on the network. Windows users can
    create a queue for a Mac printer the same way they do for a shared Windows NT
    printer server, using the print wizard built into Windows. Because the Mac
    uses the same SMB/CIFS protocol as Windows, no additional software is
    necessary on the Mac or PC.".

    Unfortunately these instructions don't go into detail on the PC side of the
    equation.

    Suggestions?

    Extra credit for step-by-step instructions or a link to such.

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
     
    DaveC, Sep 5, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. DaveC

    Rodger Guest

    In article <>,
    DaveC <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > On a wireless network with PC and Mac laptop computers using a mix of OS
    > versions, I've connected a Brother DCP-110c multifunction device
    > (printer/scanner/etc.) to my PowerBook G3/400 (OS X 10.3.9). I checked the
    > "Printer Sharing" and "Windows Sharing" check boxes in the System Preferences
    > Sharing panel.
    >
    > The Apple PowerBooks and MacBooks can see and use the printer. It seems to be
    > a bit more involved as to how to do this for the PCs. For Windows XP, for
    > example, do I "Add a network printer" or is there some other means?
    >
    > BTW, the instructions for sharing a printer on a Mac say that it will be
    > accessible for *all* on the network, not just Macs. To quote:
    >
    > "The printer queues you¹ve already configured for your Mac will be made
    > available to other Mac and Windows systems on the network. Windows users can
    > create a queue for a Mac printer the same way they do for a shared Windows NT
    > printer server, using the print wizard built into Windows. Because the Mac
    > uses the same SMB/CIFS protocol as Windows, no additional software is
    > necessary on the Mac or PC.".
    >
    > Unfortunately these instructions don't go into detail on the PC side of the
    > equation.
    >
    > Suggestions?
    >
    > Extra credit for step-by-step instructions or a link to such.
    >
    > Thanks,


    According to what you quoted above, it said to use the print wizard
    built into Windows. Are you saying you tried that and it didn't work?
    If so, what part didn't work about the wizard?
     
    Rodger, Sep 6, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Thus spake Rodger:

    > According to what you quoted above, it said to use the print wizard built
    > into Windows. Are you saying you tried that and it didn't work? If so, what


    > part didn't work about the wizard?


    When we use Windows XP Add Printer Wizard I get to the question where it asks
    to enter a URL for the printer. In the Sharing panel of my Mac's System
    Preferences, it says:

    "Windows users can access your computer at \\192.168.1.3\DaveC".

    How can I find out what the complete URL for the shared USB printer is?

    Thanks,
    Dave
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
     
    DaveC, Sep 6, 2006
    #3
  4. DaveC

    Rodger Guest

    In article <>,
    DaveC <> wrote:

    > Thus spake Rodger:
    >
    > > According to what you quoted above, it said to use the print wizard built
    > > into Windows. Are you saying you tried that and it didn't work? If so,
    > > what

    >
    > > part didn't work about the wizard?

    >
    > When we use Windows XP Add Printer Wizard I get to the question where it asks
    > to enter a URL for the printer. In the Sharing panel of my Mac's System
    > Preferences, it says:
    >
    > "Windows users can access your computer at \\192.168.1.3\DaveC".
    >
    > How can I find out what the complete URL for the shared USB printer is?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave


    \\192.168.1.3\DaveC is the complete URL for the shared USB printer. Do
    you have a router somewhere inline that could be blocking access?
     
    Rodger, Sep 7, 2006
    #4
  5. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Thus spake Rodger:

    > \\192.168.1.3\DaveC is the complete URL for the shared USB printer. Do
    > you have a router somewhere inline that could be blocking access?


    I'm pretty sure that the URL on the Sharing pane is for access to my computer
    (as the text there says).

    Maybe there's some printer name or identifier that is tagged onto the end of
    the URL?

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
     
    DaveC, Sep 7, 2006
    #5
  6. DaveC

    Kyle Guest

    "DaveC" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Thus spake Rodger:
    |
    | > According to what you quoted above, it said to use the print
    wizard built
    | > into Windows. Are you saying you tried that and it didn't work?
    If so, what
    |
    | > part didn't work about the wizard?
    |
    | When we use Windows XP Add Printer Wizard I get to the question
    where it asks
    | to enter a URL for the printer. In the Sharing panel of my Mac's
    System
    | Preferences, it says:
    |
    | "Windows users can access your computer at
    \\192.168.1.3\DaveC".
    |
    | How can I find out what the complete URL for the shared USB printer
    is?
    |


    Can't you browse for the network printer share when you run the "add
    new printer" wizard? I don't use XP regularly, but I believe such an
    option exists when adding a new printer. XP should find the shared
    printer somewhere on the network.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
     
    Kyle, Sep 7, 2006
    #6
  7. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Thus spake TKnTexas:

    > Dave since you are hosting on Mac and wanting the XP to access, have your
    > tried Bonjour for Windows? You can download it from the Apple website, just
    > search on Bonjour for Windows. It might help. TK


    Thanks, TK.

    I -- and the PC laptop users -- are reluctant to use any solution that
    requires installing any software on the PC. I am not very experienced at this
    (Windows) and would hate to have to fix a bungle I created, and likewise,
    most of the PC users here are not IT savvy.

    The Apple description of sharing a printer for all to use stated that no new
    software need be installed. I'm still trying to see how to accomplish this.

    Thanks,
    --
    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group
     
    DaveC, Sep 7, 2006
    #7
  8. DaveC

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:59:49 -0400, DaveC <> wrote:
    >I -- and the PC laptop users -- are reluctant to use any solution that
    >requires installing any software on the PC. I am not very experienced at this
    >(Windows) and would hate to have to fix a bungle I created, and likewise,
    >most of the PC users here are not IT savvy.
    >
    >The Apple description of sharing a printer for all to use stated that no new
    >software need be installed. I'm still trying to see how to accomplish this.


    In Windows XP, when a printer is shared on PC1 say, when PC2 wants to
    add that printer as a network printer, for PC2's use, the driver for
    the printer will automatically be transferred from PC1 to PC2 over the
    LAN. A warning will be given before this occurs so that PC2 can stop
    the process from occurring if desired. Of course then PC2 would not be
    able to use the printer.

    jd
     
    Jimmy Dean, Sep 9, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ron

    Printer Shared but not seen

    Ron, Jan 21, 2004, in forum: Windows Networking
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    208
    Michael
    May 5, 2004
  2. Yazmine L Tyler

    Problem accessing shared folders across network

    Yazmine L Tyler, Jan 30, 2004, in forum: Windows Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    208
    Yazmine L Tyler
    Jan 30, 2004
  3. Wilfried Hennings

    winXPsp2 problems connecting to shared printer on w98

    Wilfried Hennings, Aug 24, 2004, in forum: Windows Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    163
    Wilfried Hennings
    Aug 24, 2004
  4. Problem accessing shared resources

    , Jun 13, 2005, in forum: Windows Networking
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    182
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    607
    Steven Polczynski
    Aug 3, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page