Access Denied when printing to a redirected LPT port

John D. Serrano

Background:

I have 2 Win2k SP4 systems networked and part of a domain. Both are
running an old DOS application that requires printing to LPT1.

Machine A has a printer physically attached to it, and prints fine.
Also, I created a share on the printer, called PRINTER.

Machine B has no printer, but I redirected LPT1 to \\MACHINEA\PRINTER.
The domain user on machine B has full rights to to the shared
resource on A.

Executing Net Use shows that my LPT1 is redirected to the path above.

Problem:

The only problem is when I try to print. A dir > lpt1 greets me with
an "Access Denied."

Now I tried this with mapping other LPT ports (3 & 4), but the same
thing happens.

Regards,

John

Phillip Windell

I'm just guessing, but the DOS App probably can't deal with any kind of
authentication. You may have to enable the Guest account on the "target"
machine and give the Guest account the rights to print. Guest, I believe,
is part of the Local Everyone Group, so I suppose you could just grant the
permission the the Local Everyone group after the guest account is enabled.

There are probably other things to consider too, but with so little
background information on what you have it is nearly impossible to say
anything else.

John D. Serrano

Phillip,

But the problem also occurs when at a dos prompt. If I do a net use
command, I see my redirected LPT1 port to \\machinea\printer. When I
try to redirect a dir command to output to lpt1 (dir > lpt1), I get
the access denied error message.

Regards,

John

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

John D. Serrano said:
[...]

I don't know...

--

John D. Serrano said:
Background:

I have 2 Win2k SP4 systems networked and part of a domain. Both are
running an old DOS application that requires printing to LPT1.

Machine A has a printer physically attached to it, and prints fine.
Also, I created a share on the printer, called PRINTER.

Machine B has no printer, but I redirected LPT1 to \\MACHINEA\PRINTER.
The domain user on machine B has full rights to to the shared
resource on A.

Executing Net Use shows that my LPT1 is redirected to the path above.

Problem:

The only problem is when I try to print. A dir > lpt1 greets me with
an "Access Denied."

Now I tried this with mapping other LPT ports (3 & 4), but the same
thing happens.

Regards,

John

Joined
Sep 23, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
John S.

I tried to change the Printer Properties. Under Advance, from Print Direct to the Print TO Spool Print Documents.

And it works!

Goodluck.

Edgar