    either (1) didn't have this problem or (2) did.

    email ----->

    , Jun 19, 2005

  2. Ed Guest

    On 19 Jun 2005 07:05:07 -0700, wrote:

    >Although the A8V can undervolt Winchester cores down to 0.8V, it seems
    >to be resistant to doing this with Venice cores. Does anyone know why?
    >
    >I know I'm destined to get helpful suggestion from people without an
    >A8V-Venice combination, but it would be nice to hear from someone who
    >either (1) didn't have this problem or (2) did.
    >
    >email ----->

    My guess is because 1.1V is the lowest vcore "Cool n Quite" uses.

    Ed

    Ed, Jun 19, 2005

    >My guess is because 1.1V is the lowest vcore "Cool n Quite" uses.

    I don't use C'n'Q, and even the BIOS will not let you go down below
    1.1V. If you set a lower voltage, CrystalCPUID and RMclock both tell
    you it's back at 1.1V

    , Jun 20, 2005
  4. asdfasdf_2007

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Athlon 64 CPUs can request specific voltages through VID pins. Asus A8V reads the VID and sets the voltage accordingly. The VID ranges for Winchester and Venice cores are 0.8-1.45v and 1.1v-1.45v correspondingly. Asus A8V also employs voltage offsets for overvolting beyond 1.45v (e.g. when you set 1.65v in BIOS, it sets VID to 1.45v and the offset to +0.2v). Theoretically, negative offsets can also be set, but there is no BIOS version that does this currently and most probably there won't be, considering that socket 939 is discontinued.

    asdfasdf_2007, Jun 27, 2007