    Deluxe BIOS.

    HELP!

    Joe

    Joe Bedford, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Joe Bedford

    Mercury Guest

    I dont have an A8V manual in front of me..

    Look for some thing that allows you to specify what the HDD boot devide is.
    Generally, in one place you can set boot order as
    Floppy
    CD/DVD
    HDD

    Elsewhere you indicate what the HDD boot device is and a menu might look
    sort of like this:

    IDE
    SATA1
    SATA2
    Add In Controller

    Try the "Add in controller" - type entry which should be more meaningful in
    your BIOS.

    If you have USB drives / memory sticks installed / any other uneeded device
    attached I would remove it to make sure it does not fowl up drive
    assignments and boot order.

    Failing that check for a BIOS update.

    Mercury, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Joe Bedford

    Rila Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > Trying to convert my working SATA system into RAID 1. Two identical WD
    > SATA drives work fine with Windows XPPro installed on one connected to the
    > VIA SATA controller. Used the tools to create a RAID 1 array with copy.
    > Copy function siad it completed OK. Windows still working fine.
    >
    > Upon next reboot, BIOS doesn't see the drives / drive array. I have SATA
    > Boot Rom On. In the VIA RAID Bios, drives are designated "BOOT".
    >
    > Is there something else I have to turn ON? I know the A8V-E Deluxe has a
    > "SATA / RAID ON" setting, but I can't find anything like that in the A8V
    > Deluxe BIOS.
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > Joe

    Joe, all that is necessary to boot from a RAID configuration on the VIA
    controller is to enable in the BIOS, "On Chip SATA Boot ROM". I am not
    running RAID 1, but I am running RAID 0 and have no problems booting from
    the drives. Make sure you have the driver loaded in Windows. Since you say
    it works fine with just one drive not in RAID configuration, I doubt this is
    the problem, but my WD drives would not spin up on the VIA controller until
    I installed a jumper on pins 5 & 6 on the drives. This is the third set of
    jumper pairs to the left of the power connector.

    Rila, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Joe Bedford

    Joe Bedford Guest

    "Rila" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe Bedford" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Trying to convert my working SATA system into RAID 1. Two identical WD
    >> SATA drives work fine with Windows XPPro installed on one connected to
    >> the VIA SATA controller. Used the tools to create a RAID 1 array with
    >> copy. Copy function siad it completed OK. Windows still working fine.
    >>
    >> Upon next reboot, BIOS doesn't see the drives / drive array. I have SATA
    >> Boot Rom On. In the VIA RAID Bios, drives are designated "BOOT".
    >>
    >> Is there something else I have to turn ON? I know the A8V-E Deluxe has a
    >> "SATA / RAID ON" setting, but I can't find anything like that in the A8V
    >> Deluxe BIOS.
    >>
    >> HELP!
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>

    > Joe, all that is necessary to boot from a RAID configuration on the VIA
    > controller is to enable in the BIOS, "On Chip SATA Boot ROM". I am not
    > running RAID 1, but I am running RAID 0 and have no problems booting from
    > the drives. Make sure you have the driver loaded in Windows. Since you
    > say it works fine with just one drive not in RAID configuration, I doubt
    > this is the problem, but my WD drives would not spin up on the VIA
    > controller until I installed a jumper on pins 5 & 6 on the drives. This
    > is the third set of jumper pairs to the left of the power connector.

    Thanks for the input Rila. As it turns out, you are 100% on the mark. What I
    needed to do was to POWER OFF the PC and power back on. BIOS didn't see the
    RAID 1 array until I did a cold start. Now everything is working just fine.

    Cheers, Joe

    Joe Bedford, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Joe Bedford

    Rila Guest

    > "Rila" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Joe Bedford" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Trying to convert my working SATA system into RAID 1. Two identical WD
    >>> SATA drives work fine with Windows XPPro installed on one connected to
    >>> the VIA SATA controller. Used the tools to create a RAID 1 array with
    >>> copy. Copy function siad it completed OK. Windows still working fine.
    >>>
    >>> Upon next reboot, BIOS doesn't see the drives / drive array. I have SATA
    >>> Boot Rom On. In the VIA RAID Bios, drives are designated "BOOT".
    >>>
    >>> Is there something else I have to turn ON? I know the A8V-E Deluxe has a
    >>> "SATA / RAID ON" setting, but I can't find anything like that in the A8V
    >>> Deluxe BIOS.
    >>>
    >>> HELP!
    >>>
    >>> Joe
    >>>

    >> Joe, all that is necessary to boot from a RAID configuration on the VIA
    >> controller is to enable in the BIOS, "On Chip SATA Boot ROM". I am not
    >> running RAID 1, but I am running RAID 0 and have no problems booting from
    >> the drives. Make sure you have the driver loaded in Windows. Since you
    >> say it works fine with just one drive not in RAID configuration, I doubt
    >> this is the problem, but my WD drives would not spin up on the VIA
    >> controller until I installed a jumper on pins 5 & 6 on the drives. This
    >> is the third set of jumper pairs to the left of the power connector.

    > Thanks for the input Rila. As it turns out, you are 100% on the mark. What
    > I needed to do was to POWER OFF the PC and power back on. BIOS didn't see
    > the RAID 1 array until I did a cold start. Now everything is working just
    > fine.
    >
    > Cheers, Joe

    Great! Glad you got it working. I've seen that happen many times with plug
    and play hardware. You have to do a complete power off before it will
    detect it. A soft reboot doesn't get the job done.

    Rila, Nov 10, 2005