    Thanks
    Jonesgold

    Remove the NOSPAM

    Jonesgold, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Jonesgold

    Paul Guest

    In article <40438abd$0$3069$>, "Jonesgold"
    <> wrote:

    > I have A7V8X revision number 1 with 2 512MB of PC2700 memory and a
    > AMD3000XP+ . I was running AMDXP2400+. I am running the bios revision 10.
    >
    > After upgrading the processor, the PC reboots by itself. Could be once
    > every 3-4 days or like today it has rebooted twice this morning.
    >
    > Anyone got any thoughts as to what is causing this.

    1: Have you run Memtest86 lately ?
    2: Does the reboot correlate with heavy computing load ?
    If it only crashes running Prime95, it could be power related.
    Use MBM5 or Asus Probe to watch the voltages while Prime95 runs.
    It could also be temperature related, such as a Northbridge that
    is overheating.
    3: Does the reboot correlate with video activity ?
    Maybe your video card is acting up.

    Check the Event log, to see if anything is being logged. Also,
    you might want to set up Windows to BSOD, instead of automatically
    rebooting. If there isn't anything in the Event log, getting
    the machine to stop on that error, will allow you to perhaps
    record what piece of software is involved.

    You might also want to use AIDA32 to examine clock rates and
    settings, on the off chance something is accidently overclocked.

    Your new processor could be bad. Pretty unlikely, but if all else
    fails, find a friend who can test the processor for you.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Jonesgold

    Jonesgold Guest

    Ran Memtest86 and no problem
    PC reboots when no load and heavy load.
    Ran Prime95 and the +12 volt is running between 13.4 -13.6 CPU temp. got
    up to 129F
    Reboot does not seem to be related to VIDEO activity.

    --
    Thanks
    email me at REMOVE NOSPAM

    Jonesgold, Mar 2, 2004
  4. Jonesgold

    Paul Guest

    In article <40441199$0$3088$>, "Jonesgold"
    <> wrote:

    > Ran Memtest86 and no problem
    > PC reboots when no load and heavy load.
    > Ran Prime95 and the +12 volt is running between 13.4 -13.6 CPU temp. got
    > up to 129F
    > Reboot does not seem to be related to VIDEO activity.

    Have you checked here ?

    http://www.asus.it/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    It says the board needs a "FSB333" sticker on the Northbridge.
    That, and BIOS 1011.

    The following review doesn't make any mention of issues, implying
    that FSB333 isn't a big deal.

    http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/asus_a7v8x/

    As you've run memtest and feel the memory is OK (and memory is in
    slot 1 and slot 3 ?), the only other things I can think of, are
    to improve the Northbridge cooling (CMOS slows down as it gets
    warmer), or adjust the S2K bus settings. The S2K setting is the
    drive strength setting on the processor FSB, and the drive strength
    setting affects the signal quality and signal speed. Unfortunately,
    these two factors move in opposite directions, so as you crank
    up the drive strength, the signal edge rates get faster, which
    can improve setup time, but at the expense of more reflections
    on the bus.

    As for which direction to adjust, I think the defaults on N and
    P are 2 and 3. I would write whatever setting you find, on a
    piece of paper, so it can be restored later. Then change both
    P and N settings by 1, and test for a while, to see if there
    is any change. It will be easy to see a negative change (crash
    almost instantly), but positive changes will take a lot longer.
    Generally speaking, when crashes happen less frequently than once
    a day, it takes a hell of a long time to determine whether you
    are improving things or making them worse, with different
    settings.

    Also, your +12V is rather high (12.6V is +5% and is the usual
    spec for the PS), but I don't really know whether Vcore on the
    board runs from +12V or +5V. If the board was using +5V, and the
    PS responds to a heavy load on +5V by cranking the primary side,
    this can cause other, less loaded outputs, to jump up, and that
    could account for the high reading. On Pentium boards, you'd
    expect to see the opposite - +12V drooping, and some other
    voltages elevated. I wouldn't worry about that too much - if
    you have a multimeter, you could check all the voltages with
    that, and see which way they are leaning. The only PS output
    with tight regulation is +3.3V, as there is actually a feedback
    wire on the ATX 20 pin, to tell the PS whether the +3.3V is
    high or low. There is a pin on the ATX 20 pin connector with
    two wires on it, and the thinner wire is the feedback wire.

    Good luck with your hunt for stability,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 2, 2004