A7V333 rev. 2 problem with TB 2600+ fsb333

Kurt B. Andersen

I have a A7V333 rev. 2 with bios 1017, which should support AMD Thorougbred
2600+ wiht fsb 333.
I´m using 896 mb ram pc 2100 fsb 266.
It´s running in jumperless mode.
When I set the speed to 2083 mhz in bios, it becomes very unstabile. It shut
down programs and sometimes the whole pc restarts by itself.
It´s stabile if it runs at 1667 mhz.
When I set it to 2083 in bios, a red txt come to the right and it says:
Caution: System memory can only operate at frequency higher than or equal to
CPU front side bus frequency, please make sure the DRAM maximum frequency is
not less than 333 MHz.

Does that mean, that I will have to replace my ram to pc 2700 (fsb 333) to
get it to work properly?
Does anyone know a workaround to this issue.

I hope you understand my question, even that I´m danish and do not speak or
write english normally.

Kurt

BoB

I bought the a7v8x for that cpu!
Go to manual, set the fsb to 133/266, and increase the multiplier!
I am running a amd2400 on that mobo but using cas2 333 memory!
I had big problems with kingston value ram, pc2100, asus overvolts the
ddr to 2.6 volts!

Hippy Paul

Maybe - not all pc2100 can run as pc2700.

1. Try setting CAS in the bios to 3.0 and seeing if that helps
2. Run the fsb slower eg 150mhz and increase the multiplier using a pin mod
such as
www.ocinside.de
use the "Interactive Pin-Mod guide v1.2" to access multipliers over 12.5.
The wire in socket method might be easiest.

I have a7v333 rev 2.0 with barton 2500+ using either 14 or 15 multiplier.

Kurt B. Andersen

Thank you for both answers. I´ll make a little experimence . Modding is too
much for me. If that´s the only solution, I rather put back my 2000+ again
:)
Maybe I should try some other memory. At this moment I´m using memory from
three different factory in the size 512, 256 and 128. It seems that I´ll
have to remove one of them, if I´ll try to make them run 2700, because the
motherboard will automatic slow it down to 2100 if more than 2 blocks are
used.

Kurt

... et al.

Kurt B. Andersen said:
Maybe I should try some other memory. At this moment I´m using memory from
three different factory in the size 512, 256 and 128. It seems that I´ll
have to remove one of them, if I´ll try to make them run 2700, because the
motherboard will automatic slow it down to 2100 if more than 2 blocks are
used.

<quote>
Only two (2) DIMMs will support 333MHz-PC2700; if more than two 333MHz
DIMMs are installed, the system automatically reverts to a maximum speed
of 266MHz.
</quote>

That info you find in the "A7V333 Manual 1.01 Updates IE1010". The 1.01
manual release-date is March 2002 and the PDF-version of the "Updates"
was created 2002-03-28.
At that date the current BIOS was version 1005(2002-03-14), and there
have been ca 10-11 versions released since then.
¿Did the 2.x version(s) of the A7V333-board still come with the by then
old/outdated Manual+Updates from march 2002?
¿Does Asustek still claim the above anywhere else?, .. on their
Website(s)?

Anyways, there have been posters here [1] that have claimed that from an
unspecified BIOS version, possibly 1007, and onwards you can run the
memorybus at PC2700-speeds, (166MHz * DoubleDataRate -> 333MHz), even
with all 3 DIMM-slots filled.

N.B.: I have only 2 PC2700 DIMM-cards, so i haven't been able to verify
this personally.

Note:
[1] for example, see the 4 followups to the post
<with the subject-name
"A7V333 SDRAM Configuration?" from around 2002-10-06.

Kurt B. Andersen

Thank you very much for your help. I had notified about the maximum 2 X 2700
mhz ram, but I only had 2100 mhz memory. I did try with one 256 mb 2700 mhz
ram, but it doesn´t help me. Still very unstable. . Now I have stopped my
experience. I sold the 2600 cpu and bought a 2400 with only 266 fsb instead.
Life has to go on :)
The link below doesn´t work for me, because it has been removed from the
server, that I´m using.

Kurt
Note:
[1] for example, see the 4 followups to the post
<with the subject-name
"A7V333 SDRAM Configuration?" from around 2002-10-06.

... et al.

Kurt B. Andersen said:
"... et al." <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:1g629ni.10jnqc01qguxycN%[email protected]...

Life has to go on :)
The link below doesn´t work for me, because it has been removed from the
server, that I´m using.
Note:
[1] for example, see the 4 followups to the post
<with the subject-name
"A7V333 SDRAM Configuration?" from around 2002-10-06.

Where do you want to go today? You may go wherever you want as long as
you go to Google Inc.

AFAIK (in this world of Murdoch'$, Micro$oft's & Ber£u$coni's), there is
unfortunately only a single resource for this type of information ...
In a better world, there are several independent public repositories for
old Usenet posts.

<reservation>
Besides having a monopoly or being close to having it, in certain parts
of the information-field, i don't want imply any other relationship
between the Search-engine owner and the Axis of ...
</reservation>