    .....some 3 yrs old .

    If you can help thanks ....

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 8, 2005

  2. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:Yn7cf.10617$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The
    > system runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome
    > ToTal War or Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either reboots
    > or goes back to desktop :( Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a card to fit on
    > this old board ? I have put new drivers on and directX 9.c and the bios
    > is still the original ....some 3 yrs old .
    >
    > If you can help thanks ....
    >
    > Steve

    Have you got the secondary power connector attached to the card?. The
    behaviour has all the symptoms of a power problem. Modern cards draw a
    _lot_ (many draw more than the current processors). Many machines will
    warn you if the power connector is not attached, but it yours wasn't
    giving this warning, it might behave like this.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks for trying Roger...............my FX 5200 does not have a power
    connector ..... could it be a power supply problem ie only when trying 3d
    graphics does it crash out ?
    Steve

    Steve, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Steve wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The system
    > runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome ToTal War or
    > Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either reboots or goes back to
    > desktop :( Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a card to fit on this old board ? I
    > have put new drivers on and directX 9.c and the bios is still the original
    > ....some 3 yrs old .

    Those old VIA chipsets were rather buggy out of the box with regard to
    AGP - you probably will want to put the latest BIOS on as well as
    download the latest chipset drivers off the VIA site..

    --
    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from

    Robert Hancock, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks Robert....

    Can i use the Asus update tool for the bios on this board ? Im not that
    good at bios floppy upgrades :(

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Steve

    Egil Solberg Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Thanks Robert....
    >
    > Can i use the Asus update tool for the bios on this board ? Im not
    > that good at bios floppy upgrades :(

    Lots of unhappy stories about Asus update tool. The best option is to
    carefully examine and carry out the floppy flash procedure. It's not hard at
    all. Print it out if necessary.

    Egil Solberg, Nov 9, 2005
  7. Steve wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I formated my daughters win98 system and put winxp with sp2 on . The
    > system runs ok .......But if you try and run any of these games Rome
    > ToTal War or Harry Potter 2 or Condition zero ...the pc either
    > reboots or goes back to desktop :( Is the Gforce fx5200 to new a
    > card to fit on this old board ? I have put new drivers on and
    > directX 9.c and the bios is still the original ....some 3 yrs old .
    >
    > If you can help thanks ....
    >
    > Steve

    Hi Steve!

    Disable the Secondary IDE. Use just the Primary IDE. That means you
    only have Master and Slave, one time.

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: Windows98 is seemingly working with the 2ndIDE enabled ;-), but
    makes other nice burns, I will not going to execute now. That Kt133 is
    unfortunately a good example of "designed for Win98", only :). No, if
    you disable 2ndIDE, it should work flawlessly with XPSP2.

    Daniel Mandic, Nov 9, 2005
  8. Daniel Mandic wrote:
    > you disable 2ndIDE, it should work flawlessly with XPSP2.

    Not even that, there are also new AGP Driver (for the A7V133) with SP2!

    "
    My AMD powered Gamestation:
    ECS Elitegroup K7VZA (Beast) 3.0, AMD K7 Athlon "Palomino" 1533MHz,
    some RAM and a nice fast (3D T&L) Gainward (Red with passive ZaLmAN)
    Geforce4 ti4200 Ultra-(IMO). Works flawlessly with SP2!!

    Maybe I step up to the KT880 Chipset from the same house.

    Daniel Mandic, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    hi
    i have installed new agp driver and it did not solve the
    problem..............are you saying if i disable the secondary side of the
    pc it could get the fx5200 working ?

    steve

    Steve, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Steve wrote:

    No, I meant the Onboard Harddiskdrive-Controller (HDD). There are two
    channels. Primary and Secondary. And in the BIOS-Setup (Press DEL after
    Reset - I hope you know what I mean), there is an Option to
    Enable/Disable Onboard devices....
    Disable the secondary ide channel. So that every Master or slave on the
    secondary is greyed out. If you need special help with that, just ask!

    There is a hardware bug, going with the VIA Southbridge (I/O, Sound,
    USB....), an I/O bug not letting a UDAM device on the secondary ide
    when uide is already on the primery. Or so...

    So you can only install one HD and one CD-XXX or DVD-XXX (x is for
    various kind of CD or DVD) on the onboard IDE-Controller. Remember,
    it´s not a MS fault, just a plain hardware bug. And not. There are some
    special bioses developed (i had one), but they lack of speed :-(

    Disabling the secondary gives you a good feeling, and you can use the
    fastest settings (BIOS) again ;-). Windows XP SP2. Neverwinter Nights
    with 1024x768, 2xquinqunux-antialiasing, 32bit color, every gfx-feature
    enebled. Unfortunatly only 2xquincunux, my other machine (P3-S 1Ghz)
    can drive it with 4xemended-antialiasing, even it lacks of nearly
    500MHz :)

    Just for Info.... There are better ol´machins available. But as I said,
    with the disabled 2nd-IDE it´s a nice chipset with good onboard sound
    but a clunky (but at least stable! - when disabled 2ndIDE) south- to
    Northbridge connection.

    You could also disbale the onboard IDE at all. I think with a PCI Card
    for IDE you could use secondary again. Though I remember the Adaptec
    2940 (actually in use) FAst Scsi-II with Ultra-SCSI Option, did´nt run
    in my KT133A powered Motherboard. Funny it isn´t it? The Board did not
    work at all, just some letters and nothing ;-.).

    I have only the AGP Gartphics Card in my AMD environment, working good.
    Needs one restart (GeForce hangs after a while), but then.... well!

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Steve

    Eric P. Guest

    You must have a special version of the A7V133 because I have used two of
    those boards for years without any problem.
    I still have a A7V133 running with IDE devices connected to all it's
    regular IDE ports and in addition two HD's running RAID1 to the Promise
    ports.
    Normally I run Windows98SE from the Promise RAID1 array but can startup
    Windows XP Home from a harddisk connected to the Primary IDE by changing
    settings in Bios.
    I used an Adaptec 2940 for my HP Scanjet 4C scanner and didn't notice
    any problems, no problems with video either.

    So I have two harddisks connected to Primary IDE and a DVD player plus
    an Iomega IDE/Atapi 100MB ZIP connected to the secondary IDE.
    Connected to the Promise ports are two HD's configured RAID1.

    Eric P., Nov 10, 2005
  12. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Ok i disable the secondary controller in the bios.............rebooted with
    the newest Nvidia drivers........and yes some success, Harry potter 2 is
    working ok, will test some more and inform.
    Thanks

    Steve

    Steve, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Steve wrote:

    > Ok i disable the secondary controller in the
    > bios.............rebooted with the newest Nvidia drivers........and
    > yes some success, Harry potter 2 is working ok, will test some more
    > and inform. Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    Hello Steve!

    Return to the Windows XP AGP drivers, just install the Nvidia drivers,
    then. Forget that VIA 4inone, or so. That board is fully supported by
    SP2. Well and fast, of course.

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Nov 10, 2005
  14. Steve wrote:

    > Ok i disable the secondary controller in the
    > bios.............rebooted with the newest Nvidia drivers........and
    > yes some success, Harry potter 2 is working ok, will test some more
    > and inform. Thanks

    Maybe also the VIA Vinyl Audio Driver (AC97), and you don´t need more.
    Very good Sound driver! Well tempered zero-settings. And one tip:
    Better one restart more, than having a misconfigured NT 5.1. :) Not
    too much settings at the same time. There are many good WS on the
    internet, describing how to take care about Windows hardware Control,
    devices etc etc....

    Fare Well!!

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic