A tip for wine drinkers

Reaction score
Personally I think the stuff is proper yukky, but each their own ;)
n.jpg

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Any Wine I drink doesn't get time to warm up. Still, it's one way to get 1 of your 5-a-day, or is it 7 these days?. :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Sounds interesting :nod:

I knew an old German gent — he was a family friend from as far as I can remember — who always had carefully selected Eiswein "treasures" in his cellar. Now, I am not overtly fond of sweet stuff, but I've got to say that a wee glass of Eiswein (of his choice) with dessert was "omigosh-good".

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I knew an old German gent — he was a family friend from as far as I can remember — who always had carefully selected Eiswein "treasures" in his cellar. Now, I am not overtly fond of sweet stuff, but I've got to say that a wee glass of Eiswein (of his choice) with dessert was "omigosh-good".

I know what you mean - I'm not usually a fan of sweet wine, but with the right dessert it's just perfect :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I'm not usually a fan of sweet wine, but with the right dessert it's just perfect :)

Yeah. Hence, "dessert wine". :D

Epic nightmare scenario: being forced "to leisurely sip" a bit too warm class of cheap, waaayyy too sweet white wine — with a taste of metal to boot. And make a night of it. Naah... rather six pints of worstest. :wall:

Trivia bit: German wine classification

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
pic nightmare scenario: being forced "to leisurely sip" a bit too warm class of cheap, waaayyy too sweet white wine — with a taste of metal to boot. And make a night of it. Naah... rather six pints of worstest. :wall:

I'm with you there! Bleurgh. That's even worse than cold red wine :eek:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Well I'd give anything a go... once... but I'm not a fan of liquorice or aniseed at the best of times! Think I should stick to the pulla :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'm with Urmas on this one - I like liquorice. :thumb: Frozen, awful red wine with liquorice sounds good to me.

I remember the strips of the stuff when we were kids with fond memories. Some used to put it into water to make Liquorice Water but I always found it a miserable drink. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Well I'd give anything a go... once... but I'm not a fan of liquorice or aniseed at the best of times!

Salty liquorice is a tad different... the key ingredient being ammonium chloride.

When I was a wee one — that's um... like... half a century ago... but I digress — kids used to buy "the good stuff" from pharmacies (or is it "chemists?). Each pha... chem... whatever had their own recipe for salmiakki powder (a mixture of ammonium chloride and liquorice extract), and they sold it to little and bigger kids in tiny "medicine envelopes" for... must've been 5 or 10 pennies per envelope — dirt cheap, anyways. The stronger the better. To be poured straight from the envelope to the mouth. The telltale sign of "good stuff" was the sensation of a hole being burnt on one's tongue. "The girlie way" to consume salmiakki powder was to buy a lollipop and dunk it into the powder.

poyroopussi.JPG

Ah, nostalgia...

Some used to put it into water to make Liquorice Water but I always found it a miserable drink. :D

Works much better when you're an adult: Salmiakkikossu

Ask a Question