A tale of two Lencos

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright, if I get time, Any requests?

At peak of vinyl ownership/active DJ-ing probably owned in excess of 2000 albums and gawd knows how many 12" & 7" singles.

Now own a modest 658 albums and some singles I couldn't bear to part with.

List includes prices I've paid, those priced at zero are what I already had, those I've received as gifts or have been given to me.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Request from the Crazy-legged one please Mr Flopp's

Dusty Springfield Island of dreams :nod: If you have it!

Bet she sounds stunning on Vinyl especially that track with the harmonica and harmony's

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Um, I don't have that track on vinyl :blush:

I have three of Dusty's albums on vinyl but none have that track.

I do have it on this CD compilation though, some pix attached, poor quality, snapped 'em in a hurry. This compilation has 100's of great photos.

You could say I'm a bit of a Dusty Springfield fan, cried my eyes out when the cancer took her.

Her legacy gets played regularly at Chez Flops :)

Attachments

• IMG_7073.JPG
    IMG_7073.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_7074.JPG
    IMG_7074.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_7075.JPG
    IMG_7075.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7071.JPG
    IMG_7071.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 193

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooh requests! :D

Could I add one for Albert Ross please..? lol I had it on an old 45. At the time it was a very new 45, of course, but it was my first taste of Fleetwood Mac and I loved it.

As for Dusty, she was great, one of my all time favourites has to be "Son of a Preacher Man" (hint-hint.) What a fantastic voice.

Not being greedy... but just in case either of those present a prob - "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight (not forgetting her Pips!) Any one of those would be a moment of nostalgic listening pleasure. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Who's Albert Ross? The one with the Otters? Or the one with the clinic for the sexually dysfunctional? (strange what Google turns up ;) )

In my post there's a link for an Excel file of all my vinyl, can't play it on vinyl if me no have it. Will have to list 7" 10" & 12" singles as well maybe.

Gimme time and I'll get Dusty & Gladys on here, but it does take a while, typical upload time for one clip is an hour.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Who's Albert Ross? The one with the Otters? Or the one with the clinic for the sexually dysfunctional? (strange what Google turns up;)

Apologies Flopps, I didn't see the linky.... I so need new glasses!!

Who is Albert Ross, why he's that great big bird with the tingly rhythmic base sound, (Albatross) but you knew that. Just explaining for the sake of any callow yoofs who might be wondering. :lol:

Reaction score
Excellent job ; well executed . Might consider reviving my Technics , too bad i have only 5 LP's left from a former huge collection .,

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Jeroy :)

TC: Have recorded dem songs, will upload, hopefully, over the weekend, taking a break from a week of real graft, albeit a 4 day week.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here we go, there was low light in the room which has made them a bit grainy and my Canon G9 does give a rather tinny sound, it loses the bass a fair bit, but nevertheless...

Crackly:

And:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Those sounded just great, I thoroughly enjoyed all four, thank you muchly for sharing with us Flopps.

Hearing Black Sabbath reminded me of the very early 70s. There was a small club which was decidedly seedy in appearance; dark, very dusty, with a somewhat grumpy licencee behind the bar... but a really good, mix of patrons. They ranged from long-haired, students, office workers, even a few off-duty policemen, but it had a really good atmosphere.

There wasn't a DJ, but some of the students would bring LPs to provide music, played over a powerful stereo system. Black Widow would feature quite largely, specifically "Come to the Sabbat." There was another odd-ish, but frequently-played offering called "Do the Stanley" ....it involved a lot of foot-stamping, which really raised the dust - literally! Lol (Recently I looked it up, and found a recording by Stackridge, however, according to Amazon, it has a 2008 copyright. Maybe a re-recording... I don't know. But it was certainly around in Circa 1970/71.)

Crikey, now I'm rambling again. Sorry lol. Music certainly jogs the memory, doesn't it. :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Brilliant Mr Flopp's

Thanks for the uploads, I know its time consuming and bandwidth sapping so cheers for those, I will not ask for anymore honest..:D
Whenever I hear Ozzie now all I can think of is SHARON, SHARON! :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thankee TC & CL, makes the effort worthwhile :)

TC, I have a few memories of those bands as well. When Black Sabbath 3, Master Of Reality, was released, we used to frequent a pub named the Kings Head on the approach to Blackfriars Bridge, very near the London Ambulance HQ. The DJ used to play mostly rock music and he said he was so impressed with Black Sabbath's new album he played it in it's entirety. One night in the pub a long haired yoof came dashing out the toilet pursued by 2 CID ossifers who had escaped from on eopisode of the 'Life On Mars' TV series. They didn't catch him but apparently he'd just flushed all his drugs down the toilet to escape a nick. It was that sort of pub.

I saw Black Widow at The Lyceum in London's Strand and when they performed Come to the Sabbat the singer mimed whipping some scantily clad floozy with long blonde hair and clad in a diaphonous shift. Then he whipped the shift off of her and she stood there starkers. This had quite an effect on young Mr Flops whose tongue rolled out and whose knees started knocking together, not to mention the eyeballs that were suddenly on stalks.

Bouncers soon whisked her off stage and the band had to finish their set. Boo hiss. The incident made The Sun newspaper the following day, I still have the press cutting somewhere. I aklso have all of Black Widow's recorded output on mp3. I'd call it very much of it's time, not bad with occasional flashes of brilliance.

From late '71 to early '74 I DJ'ed every Friday night at a place named The Falcon, it's next to Falconwood railway station in Kent on the Welling/Eltham borders and it's now a Harvester Restaurant but back then it had a fair sized dance hall tagged onto it. Sometimes we'd have bands and twice Stackridge appeared. They were good.

The bouncer at this venue was a man mountain named Wally, now sadly deceased, who rarely thumped anybody, he'd just pick up anybody fighting two at a time and throw them outside. Wally liked Stackridge and the 2nd time they played he insisted on introducing them. So just before they started Wally announced from the stage, in a very gruff cockney voice 'Ladeez and Genelmen, give a big welcome for Stack-er-ridge' And the band played on. Here's a pic of me and Wally from those times:

8180d1346683847-tale-two-lencos-wally1000.jpg

Attachments

• Wally1000.jpg
    Wally1000.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 298

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's a super pic Flopps, and from your description I can actually "hear" bouncer Wally's voice (with hints of Arthur Mullard, maybe) making that announcement. Nice memory.

I can also imagine Sir Floppington's agogedness (and yes, I did just invent that word) at the goings-on during the Black Widow concert. Priceless! :lol:

Some of those old venues really had a lot of character. I might be accused of wearing my rosy-tinted specs, but some of the venues "back in the day" had soul, imho. They were a lot of fun. :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ha ha I can just imagine your face as the clothes slipped to the floor :D

Wally looks like a real gentle giant, bet he used to knock heads together like the olden days..:lol:

Ask a Question