A strol in Downtown Houston with LX7

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Looking upwards, is something many of us don't do nearly enough, so these pics are particularly interesting. Those tall buildings really do form a kind of elegant-looking canyon, don't they.... wow, quite dizzying.

Thank you for sharing Quad, we always enjoy your photos. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Looking upwards, is something many of us don't do nearly enough, so these pics are particularly interesting. Those tall buildings really do form a kind of elegant-looking canyon, don't they.... wow, quite dizzying.

Thank you for sharing Quad, we always enjoy your photos. :)

Was not looking upwards, just lying flat on the ground and it made it easy to compose ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Was not looking upwards, just lying flat on the ground and it made it easy to compose;)
Really...? To be honest, the thought did occur to me, because I could see that it would have been quite an awkward position for the neck. But then I thought no...Quad wouldn't be lying down in the middle of the street....

I'm impressed Quad. You will clearly go to any lengths to get a good photo. A true artist!! :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Really...? To be honest, the thought did occur to me, because I could see that it would have been quite an awkward position for the neck. But then I thought no...Quad wouldn't be lying down in the middle of the street....

I'm impressed Quad. You will clearly go to any lengths to get a good photo. A true artist!! :D

Well I spent almost half a day to get those shots not to mention, driving 15 miles to the Hermann Park first and parking my car there. I took the metrorail to downtown in order to avoid the traffic and also avoid the congested parking garages in downtown. All in all a rewarding experience shall we say?

Here is a link to the pictures in the DPReview forum, I received very good feedback from some veterans there.

Disclaimer: The attached pictures of MetroRail in this post were not taken by me.

Attachments

• Houston METROrail5.jpg
    Houston METROrail5.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 280
  • METRO_Houston_skyline_light_rail_CVB-2.jpg
    METRO_Houston_skyline_light_rail_CVB-2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 281

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well I spent almost half a day to get those shots not to mention, driving 15 miles to the Hermann Park first and parking my car there. I took the metrorail to downtown in order to avoid the traffic and also avoid the congested parking garages in downtown. All in all a rewarding experience shall we say?

Here is a link to the pictures in the DPReview forum, I received very good feedback from some veterans there.

Disclaimer: The attached pictures of MetroRail in this post were not taken by me.

Your extra effort was certainly worth it and produced stunning results.

The comments of the photographic veterans are well deserved imho - though your response regarding that - cough - "lamp post" gave me a chuckle! :D

Thanks for including the pics of the Metro Rail. It looks like it would be a good way to get around the city. Quiet and clean (unlike some of our rattling, smokey, diesel buses. Though, to be fair, they're probably better than they used to be. These days, they would mostly have to conform to the rules about vehicle emissions, etc. But I still don't think they would fare too well in a "beauty contest" against Huston's Metro Rail.)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Fantastic photos! You've got a good eye for picking out the beauty in urban environments. In terms of composition, I really liked the '1001' picture - the symmetry made my brain happy :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I really liked the '1001' picture - the symmetry made my brain happy :)

I know you to be "prim and proper" so not surprised at your choice ;)

Anyway, thank you for the nice feedback.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Your extra effort was certainly worth it and produced stunning results.

The comments of the photographic veterans are well deserved imho - though your response regarding that - cough - "lamp post" gave me a chuckle! :D

Thanks for including the pics of the Metro Rail. It looks like it would be a good way to get around the city. Quiet and clean (unlike some of our rattling, smokey, diesel buses. Though, to be fair, they're probably better than they used to be. These days, they would mostly have to conform to the rules about vehicle emissions, etc. But I still don't think they would fare too well in a "beauty contest" against Huston's Metro Rail.)

The Lamp post comment was just a joke of course. :lol:

The Metro Rail is a great way to commute in a small segment of Houston, it covers the Museam district, medical center, zoo, Hermann park and downtown, and University of Houston downtown campus. Trest of the areas are covered with the Metro bus but it is of no use as main transport for the Houstonians who do not have a car. There are Park and Ride facilities all around major roads so one has to drive up there and use free parking and ride the bus. Two kinds of buses are available, the local and express, the later is mainly for wrk purpose and is available in the morning and evening hours and takes the commuter to the areas served by Metro Rail.

Houstonians have the highest per capita ownership of cars in the entire USA at 2.1 per person. In my household we have 4 cars so we could be considered poor. :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice pics Quad :)

Did you really lie flat on your back on the pavement (sidewalk)?

If so didn't you get any funny looks? Wouldn't it have been easier to lay the camera on the ground for a time delay shot?

And I hope you didn't mess up yer togs lying on mucky floor - ooooeeee :eek:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score

If so didn't you get any funny looks? Wouldn't it have been easier to lay the camera on the ground for a time delay shot?

And I hope you didn't mess up yer togs lying on mucky floor - ooooeeee :eek:

Yes I really did and did not care about anything. There were very few people around and most were minding their own business, I did not attract any croud. :lol:

A timed shot would not have worked as I had to get everything aligned and there was no way to see other than through the LCD. The other option would have been a tripod but was not carrying it, all the shots were handheld.:nod:

I might go there again for a second shoot soon as I think there is a lot of potential there and I can get some more goodies.

:cheers:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Quads reply "Yes I really did and did not care about anything. :cheers:"

Think lots of Guinness Flops.

Neat pics Quad. The second to last one was particularly neat. :thumb:

Ask a Question