A Great Big Thank You!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access VBA Modules' started by Daniel, May 27, 2010.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Firstly, let me apologize for making this beautiful cross-post. I know it
    bad etiquette, but in this instance I'm hoping no one will truly mind (after
    all MS did it with their announcement...).

    I, like everyone else in this forum, owe each of the contrinbuting members a
    Great Big Thank You for all the time, patiences, knowledge and experience
    that you have given us over the past many years!

    I would particularily like to thank, people such as:

    Allen Browne
    Al Campagna
    Roger Carlson
    Alex Dybenko
    Stephen Lebans
    Arvin Meyer
    Graham R. Seach
    Doug Steele
    Tony Toews
    Lynn Trapp
    Joan Wild
    Dirk Goldgar
    Keith Wilby
    John Spencer
    Jerry Whittle
    Dave Hargis
    Albert D. Kallal
    Jeff Boyce

    And so many more that have directly helped me solve various problems and
    give me the urge to continue learning!

    It is sad to see this all come to an end in a few days and I wish you all
    the very best.

    Sincerely,

    Daniel Pineault

    Daniel, May 27, 2010

  2. Daniel

    Owl Guest

    Me too, thank you all very much.

    Owl, May 28, 2010

  3. Daniel

    sebastico Guest

    Me too. Thank you all very much indeed

    sebastico, May 28, 2010
  4. Daniel

    Dennis Guest

    All,

    I too would like to offer my thanks. I know there is no way that I would
    have be able to learn as much as I have had it not been for the help of the
    many contributors on this forum. I wish there was some way I could express
    my gratitude for all of the help that I have received from the member of this
    forum.

    I just want to say thank you so much for all of your help. It will never be
    forgotten.

    There are many other people who have helped me this past year and a half. I
    wish that I could include everyone name, but I think that Microsoft will have
    shut down this forum before I can list each individual that has help me. So
    don't think that your efforts were not appreciated or not noticed. They
    were. I just wish I was eloquent enought to express my appreciation better.

    So all I can say is thank you so much for your time, effort, and most
    importantly your patients.

    It is a sad to see it come to an end.

    --
    Dennis

    Dennis, May 28, 2010
  5. Daniel

    Leo Guest

    I too want to thank all those listed and many more for their valuable time,
    efforts and at times their understanding with my poorly worded questions and
    posts. Without their help whatever I have accomplished would not have been.

    Again, my grateful thanks

    Leo
    Non-IT Professional

    Leo, May 28, 2010
  6. Daniel

    Jim L. Guest

    Come to an end? What's going on here. I can't finish my DB without the help
    of these people.

    Jim L., May 28, 2010
  7. Daniel

    Jack Leach Guest

    I remember finding this place the same day that I learned what "Me" did, and
    it's been my significant source for information since. So yes, definately a
    thanks is due to everyone who put up with and answered my earlier ridiculous
    questions (and my later ones that were probably just as ridiculous in their
    own way).

    Having been away from the community for a while, I seem to have missed this
    notice that MS gave out... (I do recall seeing one in the queries NG about a
    month ago saying that they would slowly be converting these NGs to forums,
    but without any information as to what/where/when...). Is there any
    replacement for this that MS is offering?

    --
    Jack Leach
    www.tristatemachine.com

    "I haven't failed, I've found ten thousand ways that don't work."
    -Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

    Jack Leach, May 28, 2010
  8. Jack,

    You can see MS' post at

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...&p=1&tid=35200496-2ccb-45d9-987b-fe77ee0222dc

    and then (all the real info is in this second post)

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...&p=1&tid=390db0c5-791f-4f3d-a758-b4f7ebe187fd

    The post above has the links you'll need.

    Their new web interface is poor at best; mixing multiple apps together,
    limited search capability.

    From what I've read their NNTP Bridge for newsreaders is not evident to
    setup and didn't work altogether for certain forum members, but I never tried
    it out myself.
    --
    Hope this helps,

    Daniel Pineault
    http://www.cardaconsultants.com/

    Daniel Pineault, May 28, 2010
  9. Daniel

    Alex Dybenko Guest

    Thank you, Daniel!
    see you in MS Answers or technet group, most of us are moving there after
    June 1st, hope we will get dedicated access group there :)

    --
    Best regards,
    ___________

    Alex Dybenko, May 28, 2010
  10. hi Daniel,

    On 28.05.2010 11:55, Daniel Pineault wrote:
    > From what I've read their NNTP Bridge for newsreaders is not evident to
    > setup and didn't work altogether for certain forum members, but I never tried
    > it out myself.

    There is a replacement on

    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

    (initiated by German MVP Jochen Kalmbach).

    mfG
    --> stefan <--

    Stefan Hoffmann, May 28, 2010
  11. Daniel

    Jack Leach Guest

    Thanks Daniel... sad to see this place go, but it looks like a number of
    people have already at least made attempts to migrate to the forums. I
    suppose this will take some getting used to...

    May I suggest UtterAccess.com? I don't believe I've seen you floating
    around there yet. I'll put a plug in for the AccessWiki they've setup there
    as well, I'm a pretty big fan of that.

    Cheers,

    Jack Leach, May 28, 2010
  12. Daniel

    Steve Guest

    I must have missed something important, why is this coming to an end?

    Steve, May 28, 2010
  13. "Daniel" <> wrote in message

    Thank you so very kindly, it really is appreciated.

    In a a few days the lights go out here. This place has been great little
    kind of coffee shop in cyber space. I learned as much as I helped here.

    I am giving the msAnswers group a good try. I actually becoming used to the
    forum, and I think it can work out quite nice....

    So, once again, thanks for the comments, it means a lot, and see you all in
    cyber space somewhere. I will be in the msAnswers group if you looking for
    me.....

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz

    --
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Albert D. Kallal, May 28, 2010
  14. "Jim L." <> wrote in message
    > Come to an end? What's going on here. I can't finish my DB without the
    > help
    > of these people.

    The NNTP forums here are being migrated (shut down). If you been using the
    web interface to get here, then after Monday when you go there, you will be
    directed to this group:

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz

    So, after this Monday, no further questions + answers will occur here....

    You can also continue to use a NNTP newsreader by installing a bridge that
    interfaces to the above new group. I am not really sure it worth the trouble
    to set up the NNTP interface and the web interface seems to work quite well
    for me. We are hoping however that we get a better set of "groups" as
    traffice grows (there only one access group there right now).

    So, you will find me in that group after Monday...

    --
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Albert D. Kallal, May 28, 2010
  15. Daniel

    ryguy7272 Guest

    Thanks everyone for all the help over the course of the past couple years.
    This has been an unbelievable rich venue for learning the ins and outs of
    Access, and eventually sharing my own knowledge with others. The information
    found here goes way beyond what you'll ever see in any book, and when many
    Google queries didn't give me what I needed, I came here and got what I was
    looking for, in no time at all.

    Hopefully MS will archive this data and maybe someday it will serve some
    greater purpose.

    Best of luck to all of you!!
    Ryan---

    --
    Ryan---

    ryguy7272, May 28, 2010
  16. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > I must have missed something important, why is this coming to an end?
    >
    > "Daniel" wrote:

    The are moving the support forums to a web based interface. You can however
    download a "bridge" if you really must use a NNTP news reader. I not really
    convinced it worth it to use the newsreader bridge, but it is a option.

    More and more ISP's are shutting down their newsgroup support, and few "new"
    users don't even know what a newsgroup is.

    Also, consider that a good number here enter posts via some kind of web
    interface now. So, on June 1st, those web users will be re-directed to the
    web form for access. That forum is here:

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/addbuz/threads

    For NNTP users, they have to install the bridge, or dump use of a newsreader
    and use the web interface. I started using the web interface, an I am
    finding I can well work with it...

    --
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada

    Albert D. Kallal, May 28, 2010
  17. Daniel

    RD Guest

    Everytime MS "fixes" things they make it harder to use.

    I'm an old-timer. I've been on usenet since '95. Web-based forums
    almost always suck.

    It's been great both getting and giving help over the last few years.

    Maybe I'll see you guys around sometime.

    RD

    RD, May 29, 2010
  18. On Fri, 28 May 2010 08:41:01 -0700, ryguy7272
    <> wrote:

    >Hopefully MS will archive this data and maybe someday it will serve some
    >greater purpose.

    These messages will neither be archived nor transferred to the web interface,
    at least not by Microsoft. They're just dumping them in the bit bucket.

    They can be found at a competitor's service:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.access.*

    You can click the "advanced search" button to narrow the search if you don't
    want to read all 2,980,000 messages this brings up... <g>

    --

    John W. Vinson [MVP]

    John W. Vinson, May 29, 2010
  19. The categories on that site are not broken down as they are here.

    Does anybody know if MS are going to do anything about that?

    TIA for any replies.

    Dennis, May 30, 2010