A general question about editing current list via UserForm

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Programming' started by excelnut1954, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. excelnut1954

    excelnut1954 Guest

    I wished I could do this in Access, but I'm the only one in the dept
    who has it. And, what I'm designing will be used by others. So, I have
    to try to do this within Excel.

    The user will flip through a report at the end of the day. He will
    enter PO numbers on a UserForm that will cause the line with that PO#
    to be moved to another sheet. I think I can get this part done (albeit
    with crude coding). While flipping through the report, the user might
    also need to edit existing lines. In my dreamworld, I would like to
    have a different TextBox in that UserForm where the user can enter a
    PO#, then click a button next to it that will let the user edit any of
    the cells in that line the PO is in.

    When that button to edit is clicked, I would like for any of the
    TextBoxes already filled in on the original UserForm to be applied to
    their appropriate destinations. Then another UserForm comes up, with
    all the fields populated with the data on that PO line just requested.
    Something tells me this is either not doable, or else will require some
    rapid expansion of knowledge on my part.

    Once the editing is completed, the 1st UserForm comes back for more
    entries of lines to move, or edit. Again, the easy part.

    Before I decide how much time I will spend on this part of my overall
    project right now, I would like anyone to please let me know 1st of all
    if any of my hopeful assumptions above are out of the question. Can I
    have a UserForm come up where the fields will be populated with a
    current record based on the user's selection?

    If not, maybe you can give me an idea of key terminology I need to
    understand before trying to get this done in another way. Just trying
    to get a feel for how much time I will need to devote to this.

    It may be alot of info I'm asking for. But, if anyone cares to chime
    in, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    J.O.

    excelnut1954, Jan 24, 2006

  2. excelnut1954

    Tom Ogilvy Guest

    It should be very doable.

    XL97: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data

    XL2000: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data

    See this tutorial here
    http://www.dicks-blog.com/excel/2004/09/linking_userfor.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829070
    How to use Visual Basic for Applications examples to control UserForms in
    Microsoft Excel

    XL97: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q161514)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=161514

    XL2000: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q213749)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213749

    Here are some other sources of information:

    http://www.microsoft.com/ExcelDev/Articles/sxs11pt1.htm
    Lesson 11: Creating a Custom Form
    Excerpted from Microsoft® Excel 97 Visual Basic® Step by Step.

    How to use Visual Basic for Applications examples to control UserForms in
    Microsoft Excel
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829070

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168067
    File Title: Microsoft(R) Visual Basic(R) for Applications Examples for
    Controlling UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97
    File Name: WE1163.EXE
    File Size: 161742 bytes
    File Date: 05/08/97
    UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97. It includes examples and Microsoft Visual
    Basic for Applications macros that show you how to take advantage of the
    capabilities of UserForms and use each of the ActiveX controls that are
    available for UserForms

    Peter Aiken Articles:
    Part I
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffpro01/html/Introductiont...
    Part II
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffsol02/html/Introductiont...

    http://www.bmsltd.ie/Excel/Default.htm
    http://maths.sci.shu.ac.uk/units/ioa/ <- Excel VBA tutorial

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q168067

    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

    "JulieD" <Jul...@

    Tom Ogilvy, Jan 24, 2006

  3. excelnut1954

    excelnut1954 Guest

    Thanks Tom.
    So, I take it I CAN bring up a UserForm, and have the fields poplulated
    with a record already on the worksheet.
    Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it.

    J.O.

    excelnut1954, Jan 24, 2006
  4. excelnut1954

    Tom Ogilvy Guest

    If you write the code to do it, sure. That is one of the prime functions
    of userforms.

    --
    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy

    Tom Ogilvy, Jan 24, 2006
  5. excelnut1954

    excelnut1954 Guest

    Thanks. I was under the impression that the data could flow from the
    userform to the sheet, not the other way around.

    Thanks for the help.
    J.O.

    excelnut1954, Jan 24, 2006
  6. excelnut1954

    Tom Ogilvy Guest

    If you link cells to textboxes, it is a two way street. However, linking
    doesn't appear to be appropriate here since you are using it as an interface
    to both retrieve and write data to changing locations. So you just write
    the code to do what is appropriate at the time.

    John Walkenbach has a free addin that performs like the Form option under
    the Data menu. He has enhanced the functionality.

    He charges $20 to get access to the code I believe, but if you just want to
    see what a userform can do in a database situation somewhat similar to what
    you describe, you can download and try this out. It may even be what you
    want.

    --
    Regards,
    Tom Ogilvy