A bit of a wierd 1

Reaction score
Ok this problem has been troubling me for a week now -

My customer has a GA-K8N Pro SLI mother board / 2 GB Kingston Value RAM / ATI 850XL / 3800 Dual Core AMD 64. They built 2 of these pcs at the same time and one works fine - but the other 1 falls over when playing Battle Field 2 - after a couple of minutes. I had the PC back here and plugged up a SATA drive (customer supplied it back with out there HDD - nice 1!!!) and installed XP Pro SP2 and BF2 and it all worked fine, then i found out they were using an IDE drive - so i installed it again - and this is when it started crashing in BF2 after a couple of minutes. I ran the usual PC Check (V6) checks and this found no hardware errors. I replaced the mother board and used a 6600GT 256MB card and and this worked fine. So at this point i thought it was the graphics card - but then on changing the card to a XL1800X ATI card it was still falling over - if i put the NVIDIA 6600GT back in it it worked fine. I then found that 1x stick of the RAM was faulty - so replaced this and it all seemed to be running smoothly (it was still working after an hour of playing BF2) even with the ATI card. So i then sent it back to the customer and they are now saying it is falling over again.

The whole build now has had a new Mother board, new RAM, new and different graphics card and they have tried a SATA drive yesterday .... i have just advised them to try a new PSU - but i think its some kind of software compatibility issue

They did say yesterday that with the dual core CPU, the two cores are running at different temperatures
- Is this normal - i haven't had time to test any dual core haven't yet ???

I also have a duplicate system set up on test bench here now using the original X850 and a AMD 64 3500 and with the SATA drive it has been working fine - i did have errors with the IDE drive but have connected it up today and its now working fine in BF2 - ??????

( O - the PC works fine when not running BF2 )

This is a wierd 1 - any ideas

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Scot, I have had one or three systems like that ... I have no time for them, I call them rouge systems.

Break it up and and put one component into a new system and you won't have a problem. That always amazed me how you would not see them again.

In the mean time, build a complete new system for them ... it is one way I kept my customers happy ... :thumb:

Ask a Question