_backup copies of databases

We suddenly got copies of working databases with _backup added to the file name. This is mentioned in another chat in the Access discussion group but I don't think the possible cause in that question applies to my problem. All of the databases are server based. They are all on the same server. This just started approximately 1-2 weeks ago. This may also be related to another problem. A client usage of a database will suddenly disconnect from the server database. When this happens the tables and queries disappears. The first time this happens is traumatic since the tables and queries disappears. First thought - I just lost three years of work! It can be restored by closing the database and reopening it. My first question is: what and why is making the _backup file. After that, any possible answers, suggestions or try thises will be welcome.

Ben Gehlke

From: "stiefelj" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 16:21:06 -0800
Subject: _backup copies of databases

We suddenly got copies of working databases with _backup added to the file
name. This is mentioned in another chat in the Access discussion group but I
don't think the possible cause in that question applies to my problem. All of
the databases are server based. They are all on the same server. This just
started approximately 1-2 weeks ago. This may also be related to another
problem. A client usage of a database will suddenly disconnect from the
server database. When this happens the tables and queries disappears. The
first time this happens is traumatic since the tables and queries disappears.
First thought - I just lost three years of work! It can be restored by
closing the database and reopening it. My first question is: what and why is
making the _backup file. After that, any possible answers, suggestions or try
thises will be welcome.
I say "NO!"

Ken Snell

The _backup file is created by ACCESS whenever it closes because of an error
with its operation (such as a fatal error).
--
Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

stiefelj said:
We suddenly got copies of working databases with _backup added to the file
name. This is mentioned in another chat in the Access discussion group but
I don't think the possible cause in that question applies to my problem.
All of the databases are server based. They are all on the same server.
This just started approximately 1-2 weeks ago. This may also be related to
another problem. A client usage of a database will suddenly disconnect from
the server database. When this happens the tables and queries disappears.
The first time this happens is traumatic since the tables and queries
disappears. First thought - I just lost three years of work! It can be
restored by closing the database and reopening it. My first question is:
what and why is making the _backup file. After that, any possible answers,
suggestions or try thises will be welcome.

Thanks Ke
You are the first one to give me any idea what was happening. Could this be the cause of, caused by or another symtom of the other problem I mentioned. The client machine loses contact with the server database.

John Vinson

Could this be the cause of, caused by or another symtom of the other problem I mentioned. The client machine loses contact with the server database.

Absolutely! Network communication drops are probably THE most common
cause of Access database corruption; the program is very sensitive to
such anomalies. See http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
for details.

What's the structure of the network? A local LAN (good, if it's
stable, well maintained, and not overloaded) or a WAN (Wide Area
Network)? Access split databases will *not* work reliably on a WAN;
you should consider using a terminal server approach instead.