802.1x wireless client access with smatcards

G

Can't find a specific wireless newsgroup so I wonder if anyone can help with this query here. I have set up test wireless network using 802.1x EAP/TLS authentication via IAS and ms certificate services following ms solution guidelines. Backend all 2000 SP4 and clients are XP SP1. Client computer certificates are successfully installed by autoenrollment while client is still on wired network. If I put the user's certificate on the client machine and then choose authentication - Smartcard or other certificate and then in properties "use a certificate on this machine" all functions perfectly. Machine sends it's EAP identity at the request of the access point and then authenticates in IAS. When user logs on a bit later the re-authentication takes place perfectly. My problem comes when I switch from using certificate on local machine to "use my smart card" in Smartcard or other certificate - properties. Then everything fails. The machine does not authenticate on start up - ie before a user has even attempted to log on - and in fact seems does not appear to be answering the EAP identity request of the access point. It's as if switching to using a certificate from the smart card makes the machine think it too needs to have a smart card and it doesn't retuen it's valid certificate. Am I missing something. Is there a registry setting I have to make or what? Any help appreciated.

A

Alan Wood [MSFT]

Hi
There is a wireless forum, try
micorosoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

Thanks!

Alan Wood[MSFT]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ask a Question