    Is it possible to host a 64 bit ActiveX control in Windows Forms? If yes,
    how do you add a reference to it? When trying to do so I get a
    "Self-registration for Boo.dll failed." error from Visual Studio 2008.

    any, Mar 15, 2009

  2. "any" <any@many> schrieb:
    > Is it possible to host a 64 bit ActiveX control in Windows Forms? If yes,
    > how do you add a reference to it? When trying to do so I get a
    > "Self-registration for Boo.dll failed." error from Visual Studio 2008.

    There is no 64-bit version of COM, and thus there are no separate 64-bit
    ActiveX components. As COM is a 32-bit technology and ActiveX is based on
    it, you'll have to compile the application for X86 in order to be able to
    use the ActiveX control.

    --
    M S Herfried K. Wagner
    M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

    Herfried K. Wagner [MVP], Mar 16, 2009

  3. > There is no 64-bit version of COM, and thus there are no separate 64-bit
    > ActiveX components. As COM is a 32-bit technology and ActiveX is based on
    > it, you'll have to compile the application for X86 in order to be able to
    > use the ActiveX control.

    A quote from Microsoft KB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896457):

    "The 64-bit version of Internet Explorer can host only native 64-bit ActiveX
    controls and other 64-bit Web page objects."

    That suggests that there is such a thing as 64-bit ActiveX control. The
    questions is: does Windows Forms and Visual Studio 2008 support it?

    pagerintas pritupimas, Mar 16, 2009
  4. any

    nibir.mistry

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    The correct approach is to add a reference to the .NET assembly directly.

    nibir.mistry, Dec 17, 2010