    Help, has anyone out there managed to successfully connect and install a Lexmark X73 Printer to a PC running Windows XP Home and Office XP Pro. The same machine worked brilliantly on old PC running Windows 98, Office 97. I have downloaded and installed all the latest Service packs and patches from Microsoft and Lexmark. I have also been onto quite a lot of newsgroups, I have appreciated the help and advice on clean installs of printers also on the known problems with USB Ports and power consumption. Ready to just bin it now, tried for weeks, Lexmark no help at all, I think I have found out the hard way why they stopped making them

    Any help greatly appreciated

    Michael.

    Guest, May 8, 2004

    Debra Guest

    Michael, I apologize if you have already tried the following newsgroup. I
    wouldn't want to take you where you've already been.

    Debra, May 8, 2004

    Cerridwen Guest

    Debra wrote:
    > Michael, I apologize if you have already tried the following
    > newsgroup. I wouldn't want to take you where you've already been.
    > "microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility."

    And what has a group concerned with enabling people with disabilities to use
    XP, got to do with printing?!

    Cerridwen, May 8, 2004

    Cerridwen Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > Help, has anyone out there managed to successfully connect and
    > install a Lexmark X73 Printer to a PC running Windows XP Home and
    > Office XP Pro. The same machine worked brilliantly on old PC running
    > Windows 98, Office 97. I have downloaded and installed all the
    > latest Service packs and patches from Microsoft and Lexmark. I have
    > also been onto quite a lot of newsgroups, I have appreciated the help
    > and advice on clean installs of printers also on the known problems
    > with USB Ports and power consumption. Ready to just bin it now,
    > tried for weeks, Lexmark no help at all, I think I have found out the
    > hard way why they stopped making them.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Michael.

    Please visit the following sites: -

    http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article One.htm

    DO NOT OMIT STEP 4 OR YOU WILL END UP REINSTALLING THE CORRUPT DRIVER.

    For additional assistance with Lexmark printers visit
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/index.htm.

    Cerridwen, May 8, 2004

    Zebraloc Guest

    After a clean un-install, which hopefully you've done if not read
    this http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm. Then,
    check to make sure the USB port is powered
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822968&Product=winxp
    Download the driver for win XP
    http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi

    Follow the instructions to the letter. Do everything exactly as
    directed, especially with disconnecting and reconnexcting the USB
    cable.

    Then read this article previously posted in this newsgroup and change
    the settings and see what you get:

    *<> posted on 4/21/04
    *Lexmark suggested that I change the print processor to WinPrint and
    *set the default data type to NT EMF 1.008
    *the world is a much better place. not only are jobs deleted from the
    *spool but they also go to the printer faster (because not as large)
    *Perhaps I may have gotten to this on my own but I've simply never had
    *to deal with print spool issues so I've never investigated processor
    *and data types - I can't remember the last time I even looked at
    these
    *settings. Ah well, more wisdom for me I guess.

    This is where you do the trial and error thing

    *I have an X83. I hadn't been able to print for 2 weeks. I opened
    *printers and faxes, right-clicked on Lexmark X83, properties, clicked
    *the advanced tab, clicked Print Processor, changed the Print
    Processor to WinPrint and tried the default data type NT EMF 1.008:
    nothing happened. That was good because nothing froze, no error
    messages. So I tried 1.007, and again nothing happened when I tried to
    print a test page from the General tab. But oh Boy! When I entered
    NT EMF 1.006 and hit print test page from the General tab, this old
    X83 started printing like nobody's biznuss.

    You get the idea. Others have had success, too.

    Zebraloc, May 8, 2004

    Debra Guest

    This is not a newsgroup to which you refer. You're thinking "surface
    material." Dig a little deeper before you speak.

    Debra, May 8, 2004

    Cerridwen Guest

    Debra wrote:
    > This is not a newsgroup to which you refer. You're thinking "surface
    > material." Dig a little deeper before you speak.

    It's not a newsgroup?! Well, b*gger me! Let's look at the evidence, shall
    we?

    1) Does it fit the general pattern of a newsgroup?

    2) Is it hosted on a NNTP server?

    3) Is it part of Usenet?

    Well b*gger me with a broomhandle and call me Aloysius, if the answer to all
    the above isn't "yes".

    And I don't know what you mean by "surface material" - if you have seen
    posts relating to printing there, I can assure you they are completely
    off-topic. The purpose of the 'accessibility' group is exactly as I have
    stated - to enable people with disabilities to use XP. I'm sure Cari,
    whenever she finds this thread, will back me on that. This is the correct
    group for general printing issues (if the issue is related to a particular
    application, then the problem should be addressed to a group dealing with
    that application).

    Cerridwen, May 8, 2004

    Box134 Guest

    Yeah, I bet you'd enjoy that, Aloysius. Probably the best you can get.

    Box134, May 14, 2004