2nd Server on the way

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The site just can't handle almost 2000 readers at once, so a 2nd Database server is on its way. This isn't an upgrade, but an altogether extension of the current server (this new server will be dedicated to the database).

This should be done over the weekend, and I'll keep this thread up to date as it progresses.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I think there should be a competition to name the servers :D

Something creative... for example, we could say that PC Review runs on Beer and Caffeine ;)

Any suggestions?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The server changover is tonight, so the database may be frozen for a bit :)

I like the ideas so far!

Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:

Something creative... for example, we could say that PC Review runs on Beer and Caffeine ;)

Any suggestions?

Blond :eek: And

Brunette :eek:

Sorry Bex had to suggest them.;)

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Server move is complete! There was one unexpected problem, but it doesn't seem to be causing any harm so I will try and fix this over the weekend.

I am trialing a new database type which may increase speed, this may however change by the end of the weekend if it doesn't run as smoothly.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Seems to be running ok under peak loading so far :D

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:

Any suggestions?
I think this is the best suggestion so far!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The main IIS/PHP is now being replaced by the same one as the database server - it is performing well, but I'm getting charged double bandwidth costs as its in a different datacentre for the same host :( Shouldn't be much downtime at all, as the old one is running at the same time for about a week!

I don't think the servers will need to be touched for a long time after this final problem is solved, as they have 4GB ram, 4 x 2.8GB Xeons, 4 x 73GB Raid disks and 4000GB bandwidth between them!

Ask a Question