    Have I got it right? Or are there some gotchas lurking?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 11, 2012

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Peter Foldes Guest

    You go it

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Feb 11, 2012

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    VanguardLH Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > I'm trying to move all my Outlook 2003 data from the PC's system
    > drive to a "Data" drive.
    >
    > I am using a POP3 mail provider, not anything Microsoft.
    >
    > Looks to me like everything (sent mail, received mail, and
    > contacts/address book) is in a single .PST file - which I have
    > successfully moved to the "Data" drive.
    >
    > Have I got it right? Or are there some gotchas lurking?

    Besides the .pst file, other files are:

    outcmd.dat
    nk2.dat
    extend.dat
    <mailprofile>.srs
    <mailprofile>.xml

    outcmd.dat has your toolbar customizations. nk2 is the auto-complete
    cache of user-entered strings, like for the To field for recipient
    e-mail addresses (discontinued in OL2007 and moved into the .pst file).
    extend.dat is used to cache up Outlook extensions (add-ons).
    frmcache.dat is the forms cache. The .srs file has the settings for the
    send/receive groups. The .xml file has the nav pane settings. There's
    no point in moving these other files since Outlook always looks for them
    at:

    %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures
    %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms

    That means you can't get all your user data/config files moved to a
    different drive. You can, however, move the .pst file and configure
    Outlook to look in the new path for it. It also means if you do backups
    and want to restore Outlook to its prior state that you not only include
    the .pst file but all the other Outlook files (with the exception of
    extend.dat which is rebuilt if missing when Outlook starts).

    None of the e-mail account info is stored in the .pst file (or other
    files). It is stored in the registry for the mail profile at:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\<profilename>

    Values are crypto hashed so you cannot simply copy the registry keys and
    import them into another instance of Windows. You'll have to recreate
    your e-mail account definitions in Outlook in a fresh install of
    Outlook. I think (but am not sure) the Save My Settings wizard that
    comes with Office 2003 (no longer available in Office 2007, and later)
    that includes the accounts in its output .ops file; however, that wizard
    is mostly useful for restoring te config in the same instance of
    Windows, not for moving the .ops file to another instance of Windows on
    another host to restore Outlook's settings there.

    VanguardLH, Feb 11, 2012
  4. Per VanguardLH:
    >None of the e-mail account info is stored in the .pst file (or other
    >files). It is stored in the registry for the mail profile at:

    Now, that's just plain heinous..... -)
    --
    Pete Cresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Feb 12, 2012