2 XP machines dropping off win 2000 adv DNS server

G

I have 2 XP pro computers connected to a 2000 adv server. Runnning DHCP. I can add the pcs to the AD just fine and can log in with all of the users in the AD. But if I let the workstations (XP) sit for more than 5 minutes, or reboot them they can not see the domain. They log in with the local profiles and will not connect to the domain or shared drives that I have setup on the server. I can remove them and then add them again and they work fine. But the same thing eventually happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks powerade

K

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In
powerade336 said:
I have 2 XP pro computers connected to a 2000 adv server. Runnning
DHCP. I can add the pcs to the AD just fine and can log in with all
of the users in the AD. But if I let the workstations (XP) sit for
more than 5 minutes, or reboot them they can not see the domain.
They log in with the local profiles and will not connect to the
domain or shared drives that I have setup on the server. I can
remove them and then add them again and they work fine. But the same
thing eventually happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks powerade

Are you using only your local AD DNS server for your domain in TCP/IP
properties?
Do not use your ISP's DNS in any NIC on any machine that is a member of an
AD Domain.
For internet access follow Step 3 of this KB article: 300202 - HOW TO
Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202&FR=1

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

It's absolutely critical that you only use your AD DNS server for the XP clients. Also, check the primary DNS suffix of the clients. It must match that of the AD
domain name. This can be found by opening the properties of My Computer, click on the Computer Name tab, Click the Change button, then click More. Also
make sure that the server only points to the AD DNS server only, that a forward lookup zone exists on this server that matches that of the AD domain and it
contains the SRV records registered by the DC. If you are not sure what SRV records should be registered, check the netlogon.dns file found in winnt
\system32\config. Lastly, download our MPSReports tool from http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-
30b0bd915706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE. Run this on the XP machine while it's in the failed state. Check the netdiag.txt file that gets created in Windows
\mpsreports\network\reports for errors.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Ask a Question