2 questions: 1,Wireless network? sharing boradband? 2,upgrading graphics cards.

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm about to get a new desktop for my room. We have a computer downstairs with ntl broadband through the Digital TV set top box. I want to have the internet upstairs and the best way I think would be through a wireless network. Jusat wondering what do I need for this? what does the new computer have to have on it? anything special? waht do i need to buy? any advice on this would be great

Also is it easy to upgrade graphics cards in the future? and complications or anything i should know about?

Reaction score
You will need:

1 x Wireless network card (per computer) (£20) - i reccomend a USB one!
1 x Wireless access point / router (Just the one) (£50 - £150)

You will not have any problems with upgrading the graphics card just make sure it is compatable with your MoBo, before you buy...

Hope this helped,

KGB

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
You will need:

1 x Wireless network card (per computer) (£20) - i reccomend a USB one!
1 x Wireless access point / router (Just the one) (£50 - £150)

You will not have any problems with upgrading the graphics card just make sure it is compatable with your MoBo, before you buy...

Hope this helped,

KGB
how will i know if the comouter has a wirelss network card? what are they called, think it might........

Reaction score
Can you tell me which PC you are getting, so i can find out for you?

Otherwise, it will mention "WiFi" somewhere in the specs or "The abiliyt to connect to a wireless network"

KGB

Reaction score
It does not look promising, i haven't seen the .pdf file, but i don't think it has!
Firewire is a port used mainly for high-speed transfer (Digital cameras, camcorders, iPod's etc...)

Apart from that, it looks a nice PC, if you wanted to get a better one... buy a laptop! Sorry, i have a "thing" about laptops...

Here are some USB cards:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=578
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/networking/productView.htm?quicklinx=380W
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=179211
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/networking/productView.htm?quicklinx=2Q2Z

You may want a "G" or a "B" network...

KGB

Reaction score
Well I was going to get a laptop originaly but not being able to upgrade etc put me off.

Reaction score
NO, NO, No!

you can upgrade it...

I got extra RAM, and a bigger battery...

Laptops are much better!

did you look at the links?

KGB

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
NO, NO, No!

you can upgrade it...

I got extra RAM, and a bigger battery...

Laptops are much better!

did you look at the links?

KGB
lol, yes, graphics cards tho.........

Reaction score
Well, If you have very small fingures, and are very careful, you can upgrade one...

...or you can pay someone else to do it!

KGB

PS. Chris, Desktops suck! - Can you use a desktop in the car, in a plane, in train, in the bath?

Reaction score
get a desktop - my laptop sits on the floor most of the time and u can't upgrade most graphic card - and other upgrades cost more !

as for the computer ur getting - look alright - and already has a network port -could you not use a wire ?

i would get a PCI wireless card if i couldn't use a wired set up !

USB use more power, and has more ping time !!

Reaction score
Ian, Can you please do something about the last post? (Delete It - Or block anyone who says desktops are better than laptops!!!)

Please?

KGB

Sorry, i just don't like people saying laptops are bad!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Laptops and Desktops are both good, but intended for entirely different things!

Desktops = Home Office, playing games on etc...

Laptop = Where portability is an issue

Reaction score
This is a highly controversial issue and i think we all should drop it now. They both have their advantages and they both have their disadvantages - agreed. KGB - since when could you play the most intensive games on the highest specs on a laptop and since when could you install a faster CPU and another gig of ram, and an X800XT or what not - it simply does not happen! And yes, desktops can do this but you dont see people in planes or trains with their big heavy chieftec server cases resting on their knees and a 19" CRT on the seat next door... Laptops wouldn't exist if it wasnt for the fact that people have different needs! i don't need to take my computer out of my room (ok, if i had a laptp i would make a point of it but i don't) so i stick to desktops! simple! So i think everyone should just quit with this whole laptops are better than desktops, oi you no their not, COME ON THEN thing it really is pointless.

Get a desktop.

Ask a Question