17" CRT Monitor

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be better to buy a new 17" Dell CRT monitor for £45 incl delivery or a 17" Digimate TFT monitor for £139 incl delivery?

Im not too sure which one to get, the CRT is good because its the cheapest price i have seen but a disadvantage is thats its big and i dont have lots of desk room, although i can fit it on the dek its a little cramped.

Thanks for your help

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its up to you to be honest - but I'd go for a TFT now. The CRT may be cheaper, but it won't be as good on the eyes or as thin as the TFT.

Basically, the TFT will be better - but it just depends on how much you want to spend. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Its up to you to be honest - but I'd go for a TFT now. The CRT may be cheaper, but it won't be as good on the eyes or as thin as the TFT.

Basically, the TFT will be better - but it just depends on how much you want to spend. :)
Hmmm, depends on who's doing the looking ... give us the specs on both, then I'll deside wich I would buy. ;)

:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Oh heck ... niether, and NO I don't think even I would like to look at the Dell screen all day ... I'm another that doesn't like Digimate ... I remember seeing their MBs and they put me off the brand name, cheap!

You can get 19" CRTs for under £100 and dam good ones too ... I'll be the first in the "silly" queue before I have enough money to get another TFT. ;)

:D

Reaction score
Go TFT mate. Get one from a reputable brand aswell, shouldn't cost you anything more really.

Remember a 17" CRT is only as big as a 15" TFT - so if you get a 17" TFT you will have the viewing area of a 19" CRT :)

Reaction score
I have a 19" Digimate and its really sharp and clear.

I knw you get what you pay for i'm a great believer in that, however at the time this was a really good deal. I'm really appy with it. Altho I dont think I would get a 17" one tho. I would spend an extra £40 - £50 and get at least a 19"

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Remember a 17" CRT is only as big as a 15" TFT - so if you get a 17" TFT you will have the viewing area of a 19" CRT :)

That true?
Never knew that. Any reason or logic behind it. I always thought it was just measured diagonally from corner to corner.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Cache-man said:
That true?
Never knew that. Any reason or logic behind it. I always thought it was just measured diagonally from corner to corner.

Yes there is logic behind this.

The CRT tube if it is 17 inches is housed in a plastic box which takes up half and inch of the tube from all sides which holding it in place. When measured diagnally it will be 16 inches or thereabouts. On the other hand LCD are flat planel displays and their housing is different and no part of panel (display area) is hidden so the complete panel is visible and when measured gives full size.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Ask a Question