    have an older printer that won't run now. Appreciate any help/suggestions.
    --
    Paul

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005

    Paul Smith Guest

    Paul Smith, Feb 16, 2005

  3. Open a Command Prompt and type...

    set >c:\set.txt

    Open c:\set.txt in Notepad and copy the contents to the Clipboard.

    Please paste the information in your reply.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Feb 16, 2005

    Thanks for the info, but my error message doesn't make any reference to the
    autoexec file. Windows warns me not to mess with the System 32 area, so I'm
    a bit leary of replacing the file, especially since I've never backed up this
    computer. I've got to do that somehow, does Windows have a back-up utility?
    I want to do that before I mess with the operating system. Thanks.

    Paul

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based prog
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005

    I typed it in "set >c:\set.txt" exactly as you said and nothing happened. I
    got the same command prompt line "C:\Documents and Setting\Owner>" right
    after hitting enter. Thanks.

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005

    Thanks Mr Byte,
    I'm one of the unfortunate ones who have XP preloaded onto their systems at
    purchase. I've seen that page you linked to in dozens of other posts, now if
    Microsoft would only publish a page for the CD-less XP users. The CD-less
    ones apparently have to move files from some Repair area and overwrite
    existing ones in the System 32 area. That's alittle scary without a good
    back-up and who can figure out this restore point stuff or if that would even
    help. All I have is set of restore CD's I made from Compaq. I'm going have
    to back-up my computer somehow before messing with my computer too much.
    Thanks for the advice.

    Paul

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Look in the root of drive "C:" for the file SET.TXT !

    --
    Dave

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    | I typed it in "set >c:\set.txt" exactly as you said and nothing happened. I
    | got the same command prompt line "C:\Documents and Setting\Owner>" right
    | after hitting enter. Thanks.
    |

    | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    |
    | > Open a Command Prompt and type...
    | >
    | > set >c:\set.txt
    | >
    | > Open c:\set.txt in Notepad and copy the contents to the Clipboard.
    | >
    | > Please paste the information in your reply.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    | > | Hi,
    | > | Been reviewing other posts that have 16 bit subsystem problems and have yet
    | > | to find a post with my message. Here it is in a the box that pops up
    | > | entitled "Windows 16 bit Subsystem"
    | > |
    | > | C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization
    | > | could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the
    | > | directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to
    | > | terminate the application.
    | > |

    David H. Lipman, Feb 16, 2005

    Oh, easier than I thought.....

    ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data
    CLIENTNAME=Console
    COLLECTIONID=COL5123
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=YOUR-XB2X7J77GN
    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    HMSERVER=https://h30083.www3.hp.com/wuss/servlet/WUSSServlet
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Owner
    ITEMID=dj-17724-8
    LANG=1033
    LOGONSERVER=\\YOUR-XB2X7J77GN
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    OSVER=winXP
    Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Python22;C:\Program Files\PC-Doctor for Windows\services
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0, AuthenticAMD
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=0a00
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    SESSIONID=1089242138233wuws04-l19ec4ed:fdcb9f9f95:540f
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SWUTVER=1.0.22.20030804
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TIMEOUT=0
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TOOLPATH=/c:\Program%20Files\HP\HP%20Software%20Update\install.htm
    UPDATEDIR=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\radF7038.tmp
    USERDOMAIN=YOUR-XB2X7J77GN
    USERNAME=Owner
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner
    Veo_532_INF_PATH=C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem103.inf
    Veo_532_INSTALL_DIR=C:\Program Files\Veo Connect\Driver
    Veo_532_PNF_PATH=C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem103.pnf
    Veo_532_PRODUCT_VER=1.1.0.0
    VERSION=3.0.1
    windir=C:\WINDOWS
    __COMPAT_LAYER=EnableNXShowUI

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005
  10. The TEMP variables point to...
    TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp

    And it shows you are logged on as user; owner.

    I am wary about the following...
    TOOLPATH=/c:\Program%20Files\HP\HP%20Software%20Update\install.htm
    UPDATEDIR=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\radF7038.tmp

    I don't understand why the TOOLPATH doesn't point to a path but to a HTML file and UPDATEDIR
    points to the file 'radF7038.tmp' rather than a directory.

    I really don't know :-(

    When did all this start happening ?

    --
    Dave

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    | Oh, easier than I thought.....
    |
    | ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    | APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data
    | CLIENTNAME=Console
    | COLLECTIONID=COL5123
    | CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    | COMPUTERNAME=YOUR-XB2X7J77GN
    | ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    | FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
    | HMSERVER=https://h30083.www3.hp.com/wuss/servlet/WUSSServlet
    | HOMEDRIVE=C:
    | HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Owner
    | ITEMID=dj-17724-8
    | LANG=1033
    | LOGONSERVER=\\YOUR-XB2X7J77GN
    | NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    | OS=Windows_NT
    | OSVER=winXPH
    | Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;c:\Python22;C:\Program
    Files\PC-Doctor for Windows\services
    | PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    | PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    | PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0, AuthenticAMD
    | PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    | PROCESSOR_REVISION=0a00
    | ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    | PROMPT=$P$G
    | SESSIONID=1089242138233wuws04-l19ec4ed:fdcb9f9f95:540f
    | SESSIONNAME=Console
    | SWUTVER=1.0.22.20030804
    | SystemDrive=C:
    | SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    | TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp
    | TIMEOUT=0
    | TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp
    | TOOLPATH=/c:\Program%20Files\HP\HP%20Software%20Update\install.htm
    | UPDATEDIR=C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\radF7038.tmp
    | USERDOMAIN=YOUR-XB2X7J77GN
    | USERNAME=Owner
    | USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Owner
    | Veo_532_INF_PATH=C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem103.inf
    | Veo_532_INSTALL_DIR=C:\Program Files\Veo Connect\Driver
    | Veo_532_PNF_PATH=C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem103.pnf
    | Veo_532_PRODUCT_VER=1.1.0.0
    | VERSION=3.0.1
    | windir=C:\WINDOWS
    | __COMPAT_LAYER=EnableNXShowUI
    |

    | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    |
    | > Look in the root of drive "C:" for the file SET.TXT !
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    | > | I typed it in "set >c:\set.txt" exactly as you said and nothing happened. I
    | > | got the same command prompt line "C:\Documents and Setting\Owner>" right
    | > | after hitting enter. Thanks.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    | > |
> [...]
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    David H. Lipman, Feb 16, 2005

    End of last month, I had just signed up for CA EZ Anti-Virus because it comes
    with SBCYahoo's internet. It made me delete the Symantec program that came
    with my PC. The EZ Anti-Virus found some virus's because I didn't buy
    Symantec's live update program, so the Symantec wasn't catching all the
    latest virus's. Had Pop-Up problems too, but Microsoft's New Beta
    Anti-Spyware program zapped them away real well. Was running Adaware before
    and I kind of suspected that they had caused this 16-bit issue and tried
    unquarantining a bunch of scans of theirs, but it did no good. I suspected
    this Python22 program and was tempted to delete it, but can't figure out what
    it does, so I left it alone. Thanks for looking at that list of set stuff,
    maybe there's something I can delete in my LocalSettings/Temp folder I can
    delete. There's alot of useless stuff in there...image files and such. But
    I don't want to make things worse

    Paul

    Guest, Feb 16, 2005

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Paul - Try this fix, courtesy of MVP Kelly Theiriot:

    "This installaton program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP
    system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt. The absence or
    corruption of one or more of these files causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error.

    XP_Fix.EXE by TRF Systems, Inc.
    http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe

    More info here:

    Error Message: MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit"

    Then, courtesy of flrman1, here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-280212.html

    "First in safe mode click on My Computer then click Tools > Folder Options.
    In Folder options click on the View tab. Under Files and Folders tick "Show
    hidden files and folders" then uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file
    types" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)".
    Now click "Like current folder" then "Apply" and "OK"

    Now find and delete these files:

    C:\WINNT\system\windupdate.exe (added by JB: note the spelling - the
    added 'd')
    C:\WINNT\system.css

    Delete this folder:

    c:\freescan

    Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp
    folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire
    contents of the Temp folder.

    Go to Start > Run and type %temp% in the Run box. The Temp folder will open.
    Click Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of
    the Temp folder.

    Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under
    "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete
    Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the
    "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.

    Empty the Recycle Bin"

    Run the fix file again after you're done w/the above.

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:,
    Paul <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Feb 16, 2005

    Thanks Jim,
    Ran the fix and installed the 3 files with the .bak extensions right next to
    the current ones. Had no effect, but appreciate the suggestion.

    Paul

    Guest, Feb 17, 2005

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Paul - OK, then. Did you verify that you don't have that
    C:\WINNT\system\windupdate.exe there or anywhere else? When this error
    occurs from malware, this file is normally the proximate cause.

    Jim Byrd, Feb 17, 2005
  15. If it is malware as Jim suspects, the following can be used to check/clean the system.

    1) Download the following three items...

    Trend Sysclean Package

    Latest Trend Pattern File.

    Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Create a directory.
    On drive "C:\"
    (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
    or the desktop

    Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
    Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
    For example; lpt416.zip

    sysclean.com.

    2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
    3) Disable System Restore
    4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible
    5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
    platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
    (a few cycles may be needed)
    6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
    Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
    7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
    8) Reboot your PC.
    9) Create a new Restore point

    * * * Please report your results ! * * *

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Feb 17, 2005

    Yes, that's verified. Unhid the folders, unchecked the boxes and had a look,
    no WINNT and no freescan in the C drive area. Ran MS Beta
    Anti-Spyware...system was clean. Updated Adaware, ran that and all it did
    was "bake some cookies" (Adaware classifies cookies as Spyware, go figure).
    I think my system is clean as can be. Use to have issues with PeopleOnPage
    continuing to come back after running Adaware constantly, but Microsoft's
    Spyware did away with them.

    Deleted everything I could (it would let me) from the C:\documents and
    settings\Owner\LocalSettings\Temp folder in the hopes that would
    help...didn't change anything. This is a real bad issue. Another person
    posted about the identical issue last October and got no responses. Thanks
    again Jim.

    Paul

    Guest, Feb 17, 2005

    Hi, David,
    I think I'm clean. Ran multiple SpyScans and my checks and came up clean.
    Microsoft has a terrific Spyscanner in Beta format that really does a number
    on things. My 16-bit programs just can't write the file they need to write
    to function. There's nothing wrong with my directory that I know of.
    There's a file in there that's been created just today. Why these 16-bit
    programs can't write into it is a real mystery to me. I may have to buy a
    new printer, it's really bad not having one when you need it. My old one
    works really well, maybe someone on Ebay will get a good deal. Thanks.

    Paul

    Guest, Feb 17, 2005

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Paul - OK, then. Going back to your original post - I've assumed that
    you get this error message in conjunction with trying to use your older
    printer. Is that correct? If so and I didn't just miss it, have you tried
    uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer (assuming you have the
    install media available, of course)?

    --
    Please respond in the same thread.
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP

    In news:D,
    Paul <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Feb 17, 2005

    Paul Smith - you are a stud!

    Guest, Feb 17, 2005

    Yes, both ways...tried using the CD that came with the printer and
    redownloaded the updated printer software from HP off of their website. In
    both cases, up pops the dialog box. Also tried to install an old copy of
    Monopoly on CD, up came the box. It's a real stubborn thing. All of my
    16-bit programs are not functioning. Thanks.

    Paul

    Guest, Feb 17, 2005