    Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ?
    Fdisk sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition
    and renew it.

    Sydney2, Aug 13, 2012

  2. Sydney2

    Paul Guest

    Sydney2 wrote:
    > Hi everybody !
    >
    > Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ?
    > Fdisk sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition
    > and renew it.

    The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

    The text of the error message, an example, is here.

    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows...agic-Error-110-on-new-Thinkpad-W500/m-p/55038

    "#110 Partition table number of sectors is inconsistent."

    This implies to me, that you have partitions that overlap. If you
    were to do a "format" from Disk Management right now, there is
    a danger you could overwrite a portion of a second partition.

    To check the details, use the PTEDIT32 utility provided with
    the Partition Magic installation. Look in the menu for it.

    If you cannot find that utility, then download a copy from here.

    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/PTEDIT32.zip

    Take a screenshot of the dialog box, and post a URL to a
    photo posting site, so we can look at it. This is an example
    of the kind of information that PTEDIT32 can show for a disk.
    Make sure you select the correct disk drive from the menu,
    before taking the screenshot.

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dell-tbl.gif

    Check the "Sectors Before" and "Sectors" columns on the
    right, and see if the partitions are overlapping.

    Do not format any partitions, until you resolve the issue.

    *******

    Old versions of Partition Magic, only know about CHS alignment. The
    number of sectors, tends to be divisible by 63, when you review the
    numbers shown.

    Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 (and even modern Linux), uses megabyte
    alignment instead of CHS. If you use Partition Magic on disks prepared
    in a newer OS, Partition Magic should show a warning dialog that it
    does not like the alignment.

    Using GParted (a Linux utility available on a LiveCD) could well be
    more tolerant of these differences, but even GParted has been known
    to trash data. There is always a *risk* with partitioning utilities.
    If they make a mistake, you lose data.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 13, 2012

  3. Sydney2

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Paul" wrote:

    > Sydney2 wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ? Fdisk
    >> sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition and
    >> renew it.

    > The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

    That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
    with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
    some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
    in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
    announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
    very out of date.

    Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
    software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
    (thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
    new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
    problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
    transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
    any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
    to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
    acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
    die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?

    Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
    Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

    VanguardLH, Aug 13, 2012
  4. Sydney2

    Paul Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > "Paul" wrote:
    >
    >> Sydney2 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to reuse a hard disk with the error mentionned ? Fdisk
    >>> sees a formated NTFS partition. I dare not cancel the partition and
    >>> renew it.

    >> The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

    > That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
    > with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
    > some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
    > in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
    > announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
    > very out of date.
    >
    > Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
    > software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
    > (thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
    > new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
    > problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
    > transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
    > any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
    > to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
    > acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
    > die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?
    >
    > Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
    > Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

    I don't think the error code should be ignored though.

    There's something wrong with the partition map.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 14, 2012
  5. Sydney2

    Darklight Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> The tool is probably Partition Magic 8.

    >> That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
    >> with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
    >> some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
    >> in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
    >> announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
    >> very out of date.
    >>
    >> Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
    >> software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
    >> (thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
    >> new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
    >> problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
    >> transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
    >> any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
    >> to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
    >> acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
    >> die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?
    >>
    >> Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
    >> Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

    > I don't think the error code should be ignored though.
    >
    > There's something wrong with the partition map.
    >
    > Paul

    easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
    disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
    start again.

    Darklight, Aug 14, 2012
  6. Sydney2

    Sydney2 Guest

    Le 14/08/2012 10:34, Darklight a écrit :
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> That's pretty old software, especially considering what you are doing
    >>> with it on your hard disk. I had problems with it (when it was new) on
    >>> some large IDE hard disks. PowerQuest got acquired by Symantec way back
    >>> in 2003. Symantec never updated the program. Then, in 2009, Symantec
    >>> announced they no longer offer it. Get rid of it. It's too old and
    >>> very out of date.
    >>>
    >>> Old stuff doesn't necessarily mean unusable but it does for this type of
    >>> software which can (and did for me twice) leave your disk corrupted
    >>> (thankfully I had image backups stored elsewhere). Even when 8 was a
    >>> new version back in late 2002 (but I got it around mid 2003), I had
    >>> problems with this program; however, since they were preparing to
    >>> transition it to Symantec meant they would expend no resources to fix
    >>> any problems with it, and Symantec never did anything with the program
    >>> to fix its problems. Symantec is like that with many products they
    >>> acquire: they leave them dormant, unattended, unrepaired, and eventually
    >>> die. Remember Central Point's PC Tools and what Symantec did with that?
    >>>
    >>> Dump PM8. Go with something, anything, else, like Easeus Partition
    >>> Manager (which seems to emulate the UI for PM8) which is free.

    >> I don't think the error code should be ignored though.
    >>
    >> There's something wrong with the partition map.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
    > disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
    > start again.

    The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?

    Sydney2, Aug 14, 2012
  7. Sydney2

    Paul Guest

    Sydney2 wrote:
    > Le 14/08/2012 10:34, Darklight a écrit :
    >> Paul wrote:

    >>> I don't think the error code should be ignored though.
    >>>
    >>> There's something wrong with the partition map.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
    >> disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
    >> start again.
    >>

    > The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?

    If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
    you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't make
    changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
    comes up with.

    I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly, but I
    know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
    (the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
    complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
    and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start again.
    Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
    is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
    a clean partition map.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 14, 2012
  8. Sydney2

    Darklight Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > Sydney2 wrote:

    >>> easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
    >>> disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
    >>> start again.
    >>>

    >> The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?
    >>

    > If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
    > you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't make
    > changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
    > comes up with.
    >
    > I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly, but I
    > know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
    > (the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
    > complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
    > and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start again.
    > Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
    > is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
    > a clean partition map.
    >
    > Paul

    From my point of view erase all partions and format the whole hard drive
    then partition. If you are using pm 7 or 8 do a secure delete/erase.

    question is the hard drive new?

    Darklight, Aug 14, 2012
  9. Sydney2

    Sydney2 Guest

    Le 14/08/2012 14:23, Paul a écrit :
    > Sydney2 wrote:

    >>> easiest way to deal with the problem save all the infomation on the hard
    >>> disk to another hard disk. And wipe every thing off that hard drive and
    >>> start again.
    >>>

    >> The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?
    >>

    > If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
    > you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't make
    > changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
    > comes up with.
    >
    > I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly, but I
    > know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
    > (the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
    > complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
    > and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start again.
    > Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
    > is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
    > a clean partition map.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for your advices. Unfortunately the disk is no longer recognized
    by the Bios (on 2 machines ) Partition magic 8 says 710 error. is it
    dead or ptedit could cure ?

    Sydney2, Aug 18, 2012
  10. Sydney2

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Sydney2" wrote:

    > Unfortunately the disk is no longer recognized by the Bios (on 2
    > machines ) Partition magic 8 says 710 error. is it dead or ptedit
    > could cure ?

    ptedit is a partition table editor. If you delete all partition (in
    preparation for later creating them to format them) then there are no
    entries in the partition table to edit.

    Since this was a non-critical disk (with no data you want to preserve),
    have you wiped the disk yet (delete all partitions) and then try to
    create one?

    For wiping, you could use Easeus Partition Manager but that requires
    installing it. I believe you can get an ISO image of Killdisk (free
    version) that you can use from floppy or CD to boot from there and wipe
    the hard disk. Just be sure you pick the correct disk to wipe.

    However, if the BIOS cannot detect the hard disk than bootable media
    (with Killdisk) will also not find it.

    You never mentioned WHERE is this hard disk. Is it an internal hard
    disk (connected to mobo headers) and, if so, is it an IDE or SATA
    device? Or is it an external hard disk (connected via USB or eSATA)?

    VanguardLH, Aug 18, 2012
  11. Sydney2

    Paul Guest

    Sydney2 wrote:
    > Le 14/08/2012 14:23, Paul a écrit :
    >> Sydney2 wrote:

    >>> The disk is blank. So should i start again with easeus for example ?
    >>>

    >> If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
    >> you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't make
    >> changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
    >> comes up with.
    >>
    >> I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly, but I
    >> know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
    >> (the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
    >> complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
    >> and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start
    >> again.
    >> Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
    >> is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
    >> a clean partition map.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thanks for your advices. Unfortunately the disk is no longer recognized
    > by the Bios (on 2 machines ) Partition magic 8 says 710 error. is it
    > dead or ptedit could cure ?

    "Error 710 Unexpected pqFreeMem error"

    That means, that Partition Magic suffered an internal programming error.
    Maybe it was caused by the disk, but we can't be sure.

    If the drive cannot be detected by the OS any more, then
    it will be difficult to get a diagnostic to do anything.

    If the disk was present, you could use HDTune, and display the SMART
    statistics. But if the disk is not responding at all, it won't be
    in the menu.

    http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

    On the old IDE (ribbon cable) disks, you have to make sure the
    jumpers are set correctly, before using. if the drive worked
    successfully, before this recent episode, then chances are the
    jumpers were OK. But if you're moving the disk into this
    computer for the first time, you'd verify this wasn't caused
    by a jumper problem.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 18, 2012
  12. Sydney2

    Sydney Guest

    Le 18/08/2012 11:14, Paul a écrit :
    > Sydney2 wrote:

    >>> If the disk is blank, then there is no risk to testing with any software
    >>> you want. Try the Easeus, prepare the partitions, then review (don't
    >>> make
    >>> changes) with Partition Magic 8, and see what new error numbers PM8
    >>> comes up with.
    >>>
    >>> I use Partition Magic 7 here, and PM7 throws up warnings regularly,
    >>> but I
    >>> know what it is complaining about, and those warnings are not dangerous
    >>> (the warnings are disagreements about CHS notation). But if your PM8
    >>> complains about overlapping partitions, that's a pretty serious error
    >>> and should be fixed. Use the Easeus, erase the partitions and start
    >>> again.
    >>> Or, you can even use diskmgmt.msc in Windows to do it, if all you need
    >>> is to create new clean partitions. It should be relatively easy to make
    >>> a clean partition map.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Thanks for your advices. Unfortunately the disk is no longer
    >> recognized by the Bios (on 2 machines ) Partition magic 8 says 710
    >> error. is it dead or ptedit could cure ?

    > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257388
    >
    > "Error 710 Unexpected pqFreeMem error"
    >
    > That means, that Partition Magic suffered an internal programming error.
    > Maybe it was caused by the disk, but we can't be sure.
    >
    > If the drive cannot be detected by the OS any more, then
    > it will be difficult to get a diagnostic to do anything.
    >
    > If the disk was present, you could use HDTune, and display the SMART
    > statistics. But if the disk is not responding at all, it won't be
    > in the menu.
    >
    > http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
    >
    > On the old IDE (ribbon cable) disks, you have to make sure the
    > jumpers are set correctly, before using. if the drive worked
    > successfully, before this recent episode, then chances are the
    > jumpers were OK. But if you're moving the disk into this
    > computer for the first time, you'd verify this wasn't caused
    > by a jumper problem.
    >
    > Paul

    Sorry, I scrambled something about the disk. Sometimes (i don't remember
    when ) I created an extended partition on the disk then I forgot. So I
    was treating the disk as it it was a main partition. Now it is repaired
    and accessible again. thanks a lot.

    Sydney, Aug 20, 2012