10,000rpm Hard disk drives

Reaction score
At the moment I'm stuck with an IDE 7k drive. Seeing as its an otherwise decent 200gb drive for storage, I was thinking of keeping that but getting a really fast S-ATA drive just for my OS and gaming.

Firstly, do you think there is really much of a difference between the access times of an old fashioned drive and a SATA one?

Secondly, has anyone got a 10,000rpm drive - and would you say that the access times are worth the noise??

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
tomsega said:
Secondly, has anyone got a 10,000rpm drive - and would you say that the access times are worth the noise??
Unless you have got some unbelievable requirement for a 10K disc I wouldn't bother. I spec 10K & 15K SCSI drives for servers and multi-user environments but I guess they might be over-kill for the domestic market.:eek: Not only are they noisier, but also I have found them to be more susceptible to failure, presumably due to the increased rotation speed.

But that's only my view ...;)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have a pair of SATA WD 35Gb Raptors in a RAID 0 and they're fast, I really notice the difference.

But yes, they are noisy.

The 75Gb Raptor is a lot less noisy.

Both a bit pricey though.

All in all, I'd say it is worth it.

And they come with a three year warranty.

Reaction score
CITech said:
Unless you have got some unbelievable requirement for a 10K disc I wouldn't bother. I spec 10K & 15K SCSI drives for servers and multi-user environments but I guess they might be over-kill for the domestic market.:eek: Not only are they noisier, but also I have found them to be more susceptible to failure, presumambly due to the increased rotation speed.

But that's only my view ...;)

I agree with that:thumb: Buddy!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Order ... of priorities

Seek Time
Spindle Speed
Buffer Size
Data Density

HD recomendations;
Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 (don't laugh, IBM don't make them anymore)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (5 year warantee, it will go on 'n on 'n on ... )
WD Caviar RE2 WD4000YR

... the horse now shuts his mouth. ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've heard the new hitatchi deskstars are pretty fast considering their capacities

Reaction score
Thanks for the posts

CITech - This is unrelated:

Your PC spec is frickin ridiculous! What kind of 3dmark scores do you get? Did you STEAL those components or are you just loaded?!

I'm jealous.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On the subject of the Hitachi Deskstars, I've heard nothing but good of them.

Hitachi took on an undesirable mantle when they inherited the IBM series, so I guess they had to make an extra special effort to win back consumer confidence.

I recently bought a new hard disk, I got a Samsung cos I'd never had one before.

When time comes to get another HDD, I'll try the Hitachi.

Reaction score
tomsega said:
Thanks for the posts

CITech - This is unrelated:

Your PC spec is frickin ridiculous! What kind of 3dmark scores do you get? Did you STEAL those components or are you just loaded?!

I'm jealous.

from what i can remeber, he doesn't do ANY games at all! jealous too :(

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
tomsega said:

I'm jealous.
I must admit it is a bit of a beast, but it's my primary business machine too! :thumb:

PotGuy is right, I don't do games, even though I suspect they would be fairly quick on this baby.

And don't panic, I've got the receipts for all the kit so no, it ain't nicked!:eek:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
tomsega said:
Erm.. If you don't use it for games, wanna swap?
Thanks for the offer, but I think I will stay where I am for the moment:D

Reaction score
2TB! 2TB of space!! I know you probably do cad or whatever on top of doing other massively intesnsive tasks, but how do you fill 2TB of space? Are you planning on getting any more :O?

muckshifter

Reaction score
It is not all about 'space' ...

The LaCie Biggest F800 provides an astounding capacity of up to 1TB and harnesses the power of four disks arrayed together. With a rapid transfer rate of up to 80MB/s and secure RAID technology, it’s ideal for audio/visual professionals who require high-end performance at an affordable price. The RAID configuration offers a perfect combination of total available capacity and data rescue capability - supporting RAID levels 0, 0+1, 5, and RAID 5+hot spare with automatic background rebuilding (RAID 5). The flexible Biggest F800 is hot-swappable, easy-to-install on both PC and Mac, and employs a safe recovery system.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10326

;)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Cheers Mucks, I couldn't have put it better myself - you have such a wonderful way with words ...:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
well ok sorry... :blush:
No worries ... there are quite a few 'professionals' that know how to relax with a forum.

His data is important ... last thing you want to do is loose it. :thumb:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
well ok sorry... :blush:
No panic, even though it's marketed as a 2TB system in reality it drops to 1.5TB as soon as you RAID5 it, and take into account the difference between a Gigabyte and the 1,000,000,000 real byte calculation, and even before you put a single file near it you are down to about 1.35TB.

Now I know this is still a big space, but I can promise you, it don't take long to start filling it up. I keep libraries of files on there to save having to hunt for CDs etc, and all the work stuff, and a rather large Audio collection (45GB), and, and , and. So see, it soon starts adding up.

I don't need any more, and hopefully won't for a while, but because it connects over FireWire 800, I could just hitch up another unit and start running. And when you look at the price of building a RAID from scratch compared to the LaCie units, it is not unreasonable.

Hope this gives you an idea about these units.:D

Reaction score
I have four Raptor 10K rpm drives. Two In RAID 0 (for speed) are very fast and I do notice improvement in game loading times and install times. They are very noisy, even when running only background apps, they can get quite loud.

They are far more expensive for their capacity, but I tend to prefer managing my hard disk content and the bigger the drive, the more likely it is to get cluttered.

Having said that, I have got to the point where my mp3 collection needs to be trimmed or shifted to a bigger disk;).

When I build machines for others I never recommend 10K rpm drives - I always suggest something like a 250Gb with 8Mb cache. I would now probably go for SATA 2.

Reaction score
i don't see why you wouldn't go down the SATA-II route as it is the same price on a new system, but it's annoying that there is no mechanical drive that can go that fast. can you imagine a constant 300mb/s? would be mad :p

Ask a Question