zip code not uniform

BorisS

      26th May 2009
I am having issues with uniformity with zip codes, in '07. Specifically,
using the dialogue box to enter an address (and checking for no extra spaces
in each field), the display of that address in the contact dialogue (not the
sub-dialogue where each field is separated, but once you continue out of that
and OL displays the address as it would look on an envelope, for example) is
waivering between showing one and two spaces after the state and before zip
(I would prefer 2, as it should be). How can I resolve? Our group happens
to be very particular about formatting and having consistency, so take that
for what it is and let's assume I have to conform to one way or the other.
What to do, short of going through all several thousand contacts, and
manually typing in an extra space where needed?

thanks
--
Boris

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      26th May 2009
Your terms are very vague. I have no idea to what "dialogue box" you are
referring. You should always parse address elements yourself if you expect
Outlook to handle them correctly.
How addresses display in documents is a Word function, not an Outlook
function.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"BorisS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am having issues with uniformity with zip codes, in '07. Specifically,
> using the dialogue box to enter an address (and checking for no extra
> spaces
> in each field), the display of that address in the contact dialogue (not
> the
> sub-dialogue where each field is separated, but once you continue out of
> that
> and OL displays the address as it would look on an envelope, for example)
> is
> waivering between showing one and two spaces after the state and before
> zip
> (I would prefer 2, as it should be). How can I resolve? Our group
> happens
> to be very particular about formatting and having consistency, so take
> that
> for what it is and let's assume I have to conform to one way or the other.
> What to do, short of going through all several thousand contacts, and
> manually typing in an extra space where needed?
>
> thanks
> --
> Boris

BorisS

      8th Jun 2009
Sorry for using 'dialogue' where maybe I should have used 'form'. There is
the standard OL contact form. Where you have address, you can press the
button with the word 'Business', 'Home', 'Other' (depending on which is the
default to show in the Contact interface). That brings up a sub-form called
"Check address". So to your point, we very much are concerned with best
practice of parsing out information. But the OL interface (the main Contact
form) is not consistently showing us one or two spaces between State and Zip
(even though we have made sure that in the individual fields in the sub-form,
there are no extra spaces in any field, neither before nor after the field
value.

Does that help with getting some resolution to the problem?
--
Boris

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Your terms are very vague. I have no idea to what "dialogue box" you are
> referring. You should always parse address elements yourself if you expect
> Outlook to handle them correctly.
> How addresses display in documents is a Word function, not an Outlook
> function.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BorisS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am having issues with uniformity with zip codes, in '07. Specifically,
> > using the dialogue box to enter an address (and checking for no extra
> > spaces
> > in each field), the display of that address in the contact dialogue (not
> > the
> > sub-dialogue where each field is separated, but once you continue out of
> > that
> > and OL displays the address as it would look on an envelope, for example)
> > is
> > waivering between showing one and two spaces after the state and before
> > zip
> > (I would prefer 2, as it should be). How can I resolve? Our group
> > happens
> > to be very particular about formatting and having consistency, so take
> > that
> > for what it is and let's assume I have to conform to one way or the other.
> > What to do, short of going through all several thousand contacts, and
> > manually typing in an extra space where needed?
> >
> > thanks
> > --
> > Boris

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      8th Jun 2009
Not much clearer. Where is the address not displaying the way you think it
should? In what view? How a mail address displays on your computer screen
would be of no consequence. How it displays in a document would, and that is
controlled in Word.
--
> [...]
>> > the
>> > sub-dialogue where each field is separated, but once you continue out
>> > of
>> > that
>> > and OL displays the address as it would look on an envelope, for
>> > example)
>> > is
>> > waivering between showing one and two spaces after the state and before
>> > zip
>> > (I would prefer 2, as it should be). How can I resolve? Our group
>> > happens
>> > to be very particular about formatting and having consistency, so take
>> > that
>> > for what it is and let's assume I have to conform to one way or the
>> > other.
>> > What to do, short of going through all several thousand contacts, and
>> > manually typing in an extra space where needed?

BorisS

      8th Jun 2009
Okay, will try once more, because I'm not sure what the right terms are. In
OL, I go to a contact and open it, to see the standard form. I see the
address, and I can place a cursor between State and Zip, and count two
spaces. Sometimes, I can cound one space. In both cases, I have then
clicked on the button next to the address (the one that has the label of
which address it is - Home, Business, Other). This brings up a form/dialogue
(whatever it's called) which has a title of "Check Address". In the State
field, there are only letters (no spaces). In the Zip field, there are only
numbers (no spaces). The question...why is OL arbitrarily showing me one or
two spaces between State and Zip, when I see it in the standard form? I ask
this for a very specific reason, which is that we've had issues in the past
where mail merges come out not uniformly, and I am trying to figure out what
the driver of the problem is. I have verified it's not my data entry,
because if it was, I would see spaces in the fields that make up the address,
and I don't see them.

Hope that clarifies. If you walk through the steps I'm mentioning, unless
my OL acts completely differently than yours, you should see the forms to
which I'm referring.

Thanks.
--
Boris

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Not much clearer. Where is the address not displaying the way you think it
> should? In what view? How a mail address displays on your computer screen
> would be of no consequence. How it displays in a document would, and that is
> controlled in Word.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BorisS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sorry for using 'dialogue' where maybe I should have used 'form'. There
> > is
> > the standard OL contact form. Where you have address, you can press the
> > button with the word 'Business', 'Home', 'Other' (depending on which is
> > the
> > default to show in the Contact interface). That brings up a sub-form
> > called
> > "Check address". So to your point, we very much are concerned with best
> > practice of parsing out information. But the OL interface (the main
> > Contact
> > form) is not consistently showing us one or two spaces between State and
> > Zip
> > (even though we have made sure that in the individual fields in the
> > sub-form,
> > there are no extra spaces in any field, neither before nor after the field
> > value.
> >
> > Does that help with getting some resolution to the problem?
> > --
> > Boris
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Your terms are very vague. I have no idea to what "dialogue box" you are
> >> referring. You should always parse address elements yourself if you
> >> expect
> >> Outlook to handle them correctly.
> >> How addresses display in documents is a Word function, not an Outlook
> >> function.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "BorisS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      8th Jun 2009
Already answered. As long as you are parsing the address elements directly
into their respective fields, the mail merge will behave exactly as you
construct it. You must also use the individual address elements to construct
the merge (never an "address block"). If you have evidence that a mail merge
is not behaving exactly as you constructed it, post that evidence to Word's
mail merge group.
--
> [...]
>> > button with the word 'Business', 'Home', 'Other' (depending on which is
>> > the
>> > default to show in the Contact interface). That brings up a sub-form
>> > called
>> > "Check address". So to your point, we very much are concerned with
>> > best
>> > practice of parsing out information. But the OL interface (the main
>> > Contact
>> > form) is not consistently showing us one or two spaces between State
>> > and
>> > Zip
>> > (even though we have made sure that in the individual fields in the
>> > sub-form,
>> > there are no extra spaces in any field, neither before nor after the
>> > field
>> > value.
>> >
>> > Does that help with getting some resolution to the problem?

BorisS

      15th Jun 2009
So if I'm understanding correctly, the address block that is shown in
Outlook, you're saying is controlled by Word. Correct?
--
Boris

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Already answered. As long as you are parsing the address elements directly
> into their respective fields, the mail merge will behave exactly as you
> construct it. You must also use the individual address elements to construct
> the merge (never an "address block"). If you have evidence that a mail merge
> is not behaving exactly as you constructed it, post that evidence to Word's
> mail merge group.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "BorisS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Okay, will try once more, because I'm not sure what the right terms are.
> > In
> > OL, I go to a contact and open it, to see the standard form. I see the
> > address, and I can place a cursor between State and Zip, and count two
> > spaces. Sometimes, I can cound one space. In both cases, I have then
> > clicked on the button next to the address (the one that has the label of
> > which address it is - Home, Business, Other). This brings up a
> > form/dialogue
> > (whatever it's called) which has a title of "Check Address". In the State
> > field, there are only letters (no spaces). In the Zip field, there are
> > only
> > numbers (no spaces). The question...why is OL arbitrarily showing me one
> > or
> > two spaces between State and Zip, when I see it in the standard form? I
> > ask
> > this for a very specific reason, which is that we've had issues in the
> > past
> > where mail merges come out not uniformly, and I am trying to figure out
> > what
> > the driver of the problem is. I have verified it's not my data entry,
> > because if it was, I would see spaces in the fields that make up the
> > address,
> > and I don't see them.
> >
> > Hope that clarifies. If you walk through the steps I'm mentioning, unless
> > my OL acts completely differently than yours, you should see the forms to
> > which I'm referring.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Boris
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Not much clearer. Where is the address not displaying the way you think
> >> it
> >> should? In what view? How a mail address displays on your computer screen
> >> would be of no consequence. How it displays in a document would, and that
> >> is
> >> controlled in Word.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "BorisS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

      15th Jun 2009
Not at all. The address block that is displayed in Outlook is irrelevant
since it never appears on a document. What appears on a document is
controlled by Word.