Zero Length String and Garbage

Olly

      1st Mar 2010
I have an Access 2007 database that is linked to tables stored in an
Interbase/Firebird (version 1.5) database. Any fields with zero
length strings in them are displayed as garbage (eg: "Â緪ꔒ䃣4 "). I do
not think the problem is with the ODBC driver, because other
applications that use the same driver do not show these problems.

Unfortunately, I cannot change the data in the linked table, because
it is generated by a third party application, and may cause problems
if I change any of the data stored in the linked table. Does anyone
have any ideas to how I can correct this problem, as it is getting
quite serious now.

cheers
Olly

Jerry Whittle

      1st Mar 2010
What happens when you put in the criteria of ="" in a query?

How about Len([TheFieldName]) in the field of a query?
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Olly" wrote:

> I have an Access 2007 database that is linked to tables stored in an
> Interbase/Firebird (version 1.5) database. Any fields with zero
> length strings in them are displayed as garbage (eg: "Â緪ꔒ䃣4 "). I do
> not think the problem is with the ODBC driver, because other
> applications that use the same driver do not show these problems.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot change the data in the linked table, because
> it is generated by a third party application, and may cause problems
> if I change any of the data stored in the linked table. Does anyone
> have any ideas to how I can correct this problem, as it is getting
> quite serious now.
>
> cheers
> Olly
> .

Olly

      2nd Mar 2010
Jerry

Searching by ="" returns 12 results, way less than the fields with
garbage in them.
Searching by len returns an integer grater than zero, but not
necessarily the same length of the string displayed. It is either
equal to or grater than the length of the string displayed.

cheers
Olly

On Mar 1, 7:55*pm, Jerry Whittle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What happens when you put in the criteria of ="" in a query?
>
> How about Len([TheFieldName]) in the field of a query?
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Olly" wrote:
> > I have an Access 2007 database that is linked to tables stored in an
> > Interbase/Firebird (version 1.5) database. *Any fields with zero
> > length strings in them are displayed as garbage (eg: "Â緪ꔒ䃣4 "). *I do
> > not think the problem is with the ODBC driver, because other
> > applications that use the same driver do not show these problems.

> > Unfortunately, I cannot change the data in the linked table, because
> > it is generated by a third party application, and may cause problems
> > if I change any of the data stored in the linked table. *Does anyone
> > have any ideas to how I can correct this problem, as it is getting
> > quite serious now.

> > cheers
> > Olly

Olly

      5th Mar 2010
Bump, any chance of getting a response?

cheers
Olly

On Mar 2, 11:42*am, Olly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jerry
>
> Searching by ="" returns 12 results, way less than the fields with
> garbage in them.
> Searching by len returns an integer grater than zero, but not
> necessarily the same length of the string displayed. *It is either
> equal to or grater than the length of the string displayed.
>
> cheers
> Olly
>
> On Mar 1, 7:55*pm, Jerry Whittle
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > What happens when you put in the criteria of ="" in a query?

> > How about Len([TheFieldName]) in the field of a query?
> > --
> > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.

> > "Olly" wrote:
> > > I have an Access 2007 database that is linked to tables stored in an
> > > Interbase/Firebird (version 1.5) database. *Any fields with zero
> > > length strings in them are displayed as garbage (eg: "Â緪ꔒ䃣4 "). *I do
> > > not think the problem is with the ODBC driver, because other
> > > applications that use the same driver do not show these problems.

> > > Unfortunately, I cannot change the data in the linked table, because
> > > it is generated by a third party application, and may cause problems
> > > if I change any of the data stored in the linked table. *Does anyone
> > > have any ideas to how I can correct this problem, as it is getting
> > > quite serious now.

> > > cheers
> > > Olly

John W. Vinson

      5th Mar 2010
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:11:37 -0800 (PST), Olly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bump, any chance of getting a response?

It sounds to me like the ODBC driver for Interbase is defective. Have you
reported this symptom to whoever developed the driver?

I don't know what I - or any of the other volunteers here - can do, since I
don't have Interbase (or a whole lot of spare time, for that matter).
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]

Olly

      8th Mar 2010
Thanks for your reply. But there is no issue with the ODBC driver,
because other applications use the same driver without seeing the
unexpected data. Which to me indicates a problem with Access itself.

cheers
Olly

On Mar 5, 5:20*pm, John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:11:37 -0800 (PST), Olly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Bump, any chance of getting a response?

> It sounds to me like the ODBC driver for Interbase is defective. Have you
> reported this symptom to whoever developed the driver?
>
> I don't know what I - or any of the other volunteers here - can do, sinceI
> don't have Interbase (or a whole lot of spare time, for that matter).
> --
>
> * * * * * * *John W. Vinson [MVP]

James A. Fortune

      8th Mar 2010
On Mar 8, 6:26*am, Olly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. *But there is no issue with the ODBC driver,
> because other applications use the same driver without seeing the
> unexpected data. *Which to me indicates a problem with Access itself.
>
> cheers
> Olly
>
> On Mar 5, 5:20*pm, John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 03:11:37 -0800 (PST), Olly <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
> > >Bump, any chance of getting a response?

> > It sounds to me like the ODBC driver for Interbase is defective. Have you
> > reported this symptom to whoever developed the driver?

> > I don't know what I - or any of the other volunteers here - can do, since I
> > don't have Interbase (or a whole lot of spare time, for that matter).
> > --

> > * * * * * * *John W. Vinson [MVP]

Maybe a workaround can filter out the garbage. Try something like:

IIf(Len(IIf(FieldName IS NULL, "", FieldName) = 0, "",
IIf(Asc(Left(FieldName, 1)) < 32 Or Asc(Left(FieldName, 1)) > 127, "",
FieldName))

James A. Fortune
(E-Mail Removed)

James A. Fortune

      8th Mar 2010
On Mar 8, 2:23*pm, "James A. Fortune" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Mar 8, 6:26*am, Olly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Thanks for your reply. *But there is no issue with the ODBC driver,
> > because other applications use the same driver without seeing the
> > unexpected data. *Which to me indicates a problem with Access itself.

> > cheers
> > Olly

> > On Mar 5, 5:20*pm, John W. Vinson <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com>
> > wrote:

> > > It sounds to me like the ODBC driver for Interbase is defective. Haveyou
> > > reported this symptom to whoever developed the driver?

> > > I don't know what I - or any of the other volunteers here - can do, since I
> > > don't have Interbase (or a whole lot of spare time, for that matter).
> > > --

> > > * * * * * * *John W. Vinson [MVP]

> Maybe a workaround can filter out the garbage. *Try something like:
>
> IIf(Len(IIf(FieldName IS NULL, "", FieldName) = 0, "",

Try something more like something with a right parenthesis before the
'=' sign :-). Other parentheses might be needed or omitted.

James A. Fortune
(E-Mail Removed)

De Jager

      13th Mar 2010

"Olly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I have an Access 2007 database that is linked to tables stored in an
Interbase/Firebird (version 1.5) database. Any fields with zero
length strings in them are displayed as garbage (eg: "Â緪ꔒ䃣4 "). I do
not think the problem is with the ODBC driver, because other
applications that use the same driver do not show these problems.

Unfortunately, I cannot change the data in the linked table, because
it is generated by a third party application, and may cause problems
if I change any of the data stored in the linked table. Does anyone
have any ideas to how I can correct this problem, as it is getting
quite serious now.

cheers
Olly

joelgeraldine

      14th Mar 2010
km)====

ùklippjbç*"Olly" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de groupe
de discussion :
(E-Mail Removed)...