What will you be replacing your CRT monitor with?

Ron Hunter

      1st Nov 2007
Igor wrote:
> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
>
> What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
> people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
> out?

It won't be impossible, just more expensive. The market for low cost,
good quality CRT monitors is just about dried up. I am sure that when
this CRT dies, I will replace it with a good LCD monitor. Mainly
because of space and cost as the CRT monitors available by then will be
the 'studio quality' ones, the low cost market having been taken over by
the LCD.

Spex

      1st Nov 2007
Martin Heffels wrote:
> You might want to check this one out:
> http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/r...m?ReviewID=791
>
> -m-

Yep, that's a good one and combined with this,

http://cinespace.risingsunresearch.com/product.html

you'll be fine. Many facilities I work at use this calibration tool or
similar. It can't make a crap LCD a broadcast quality monitor but it
wrings the best out of any monitor.

I have also heard this monitor is excellent.

http://www.quato.de/english/IP240m.php

When I purchase another panel this will be high on the list to check out.

Kinon O'Cann

      1st Nov 2007

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Igor wrote:
>
>> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
>> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
>> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

> I haven't seen an LCD monitor under $3K that was any good. Even the Apple
> Cinema model is mediocre. Stick with CRT while you can. I use a pair of
> Sony flat screen CRT monitors. I have a spare pair new in the boxes in
> the basement. You can pick 19" new in the box Sony Trinitron tube
> monitors
> on the surplus market for less than $25 each. 21-inchers is less than $40
> new in the box.
>
>> What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
>> people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
>> out?

> When my last pair give up the ghost it looks like I'll be using an
> Etch-O-Sketch since I refuse to use an LCD for photo editing.

Like it would matter with your pix. Seriously, you've obviously never seen a
high-end calibrated LCD screen, have you?

George Kerby

      1st Nov 2007

On 11/1/07 6:37 AM, in article PTiWi.449$(E-Mail Removed),
"Kinon O'Cann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Igor wrote:
>>
>>> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
>>> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
>>> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

>> I haven't seen an LCD monitor under $3K that was any good. Even the Apple
>> Cinema model is mediocre. Stick with CRT while you can. I use a pair of
>> Sony flat screen CRT monitors. I have a spare pair new in the boxes in
>> the basement. You can pick 19" new in the box Sony Trinitron tube
>> monitors
>> on the surplus market for less than $25 each. 21-inchers is less than $40
>> new in the box.
>>
>>> What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
>>> people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
>>> out?

>> When my last pair give up the ghost it looks like I'll be using an
>> Etch-O-Sketch since I refuse to use an LCD for photo editing.

> Like it would matter with your pix. Seriously, you've obviously never seen a
> high-end calibrated LCD screen, have you?

Yeah? How do you think he came up with this excellent example of his work?!?

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/platinum.htm

'Nuff said...

Kinon O'Cann

      1st Nov 2007

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C34F37DF.4014F%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Like it would matter with your pix. Seriously, you've obviously never
>> seen a
>> high-end calibrated LCD screen, have you?
>>

> Yeah? How do you think he came up with this excellent example of his
> work?!?
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/platinum.htm

That's Rita's finest work, for sure. She/he/it has no clue. Of that I'm
certain.

ray

      1st Nov 2007
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:59:49 -0500, Igor wrote:

> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
>
> What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
> people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
> out?

Currently I have my eye on a nice 19" widescreen LCD flat panel.

Kinon O'Cann

      1st Nov 2007

"Igor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:03:34 -0400, "Kinon O'Cann"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>>Interesting, since my HP1130 is losing contrast as I type. I'm looking at
>>LCDs, but have decided after looking at a few that whatever the brand,
>>it's
>>got to have an S-IPS panel. I've brought up some pix on a few, and the
>>conventional wisdom about the panels seems to be bourne out visually, and
>>the S-IPS screens look the best, and offer the widest viewing angle.
>>
>>Looking at the HP 2065, a reasonably priced 20" model with a S-IPS panel.
>>I've tried one, and it looks great; as good as any CRT I've ever used.
>>

> I've never heard of S-IPS. I'll have to look into it.

There are three panel types: TN, UVA/MVA, and IPS. TN is the cheapest, with
the shallowest viewing angles and weakest color reproduction. IPS is far and
away the best, but kind of hard to find since the panels are expensive. But,
if you can get one, they are excellent. Properly calibrated, it'l like
looking through a perfectly clear window. The HP 2065 is one of the least
expensive IPS panel displays, and produces a very nice image.

It appears to me that in the world of LCD displays you generally get what
you pay for.

Igor

      1st Nov 2007
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:08:51 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>

>It won't be impossible, just more expensive. The market for low cost,
>good quality CRT monitors is just about dried up. I am sure that when
>this CRT dies, I will replace it with a good LCD monitor. Mainly
>because of space and cost as the CRT monitors available by then will be
>the 'studio quality' ones, the low cost market having been taken over by
>the LCD.

Maybe I haven't been looking in the right places, but I haven't seen
even the high-end, "studio quality" ones for sale anywhere. The market
seems to be dried up all across the spectrum.

From what I've seen, the only CRT monitors that can still reliably be
purchased new are a few middle-of-the-road models from NEC and
Viewsonic, and some cheaper, off-brand ones.

Some online catalogs still have listings for CRTs by Philips and
Samsung, but I'd be surprised if those were actually still available
if you tried placing an order for them.
--
"Those of us whose brains did not die in college are
actually stunned by just how stupid academic ideas

Igor

      1st Nov 2007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>Interesting, since my HP1130 is losing contrast as I type. I'm looking at
>LCDs, but have decided after looking at a few that whatever the brand, it's
>got to have an S-IPS panel. I've brought up some pix on a few, and the
>conventional wisdom about the panels seems to be bourne out visually, and
>the S-IPS screens look the best, and offer the widest viewing angle.
>
>Looking at the HP 2065, a reasonably priced 20" model with a S-IPS panel.
>I've tried one, and it looks great; as good as any CRT I've ever used.

I've never heard of S-IPS. I'll have to look into it.
--
"Those of us whose brains did not die in college are
actually stunned by just how stupid academic ideas
are." -- Robert W. Whitaker, http://readbob.com/

Igor

      1st Nov 2007
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:49:02 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Igor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
>> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
>> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

>Anybody who is surprised should raise their hand so we can give them a
>pointed cap and direct them to the nearest corner. ;-)

I have to admit that I've been living under a rock the last few years
as far as technology is concerned. I bought my last monitor (an LCD)
about 4 or 5 years ago, and at that time CRT was still king. I noted
about 2 years ago that the selection of CRT monitors on store shelves
had shrunk considerably, but getting one still was not a problem. Now,
a person has to go out of their way to get one.