What is a yomi ?

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIE1jR2FyaWdsZQ==?=

      21st Nov 2004
In MS-Word 2002, the Help file for " Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field
{ XE "Text" [Switches ] }
says that the switch
"""" \y Specifies that the subsequent text defines the yomi for the index
entry. """"

Okay, that's just fine.

My problem is that no dictionary that I can use, including my own Webster's
Unabridged, tells me what a YOMI is.

Please tell me what a YOMI is, and maybe add " yomi " to some Microsoft
dictionary or glossary with a good, clear and complete definition of yomi..

Thanks !

Dan McGarigle
El Segundom CA
(E-Mail Removed)'

=?Utf-8?B?Z2FyZmllbGQtbi1vZGll?=

      21st Nov 2004
See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=220568 "WD2000: Undocumented Index
Field Switches".

"Dan McGarigle" wrote:

> In MS-Word 2002, the Help file for " Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field
> { XE "Text" [Switches ] }
> says that the switch
> """" \y Specifies that the subsequent text defines the yomi for the index
> entry. """"
>
> Okay, that's just fine.
>
> My problem is that no dictionary that I can use, including my own Webster's
> Unabridged, tells me what a YOMI is.
>
> Please tell me what a YOMI is, and maybe add " yomi " to some Microsoft
> dictionary or glossary with a good, clear and complete definition of yomi..
>
> Thanks !
>
> Dan McGarigle
> El Segundom CA
> (E-Mail Removed)'

Beth Melton

      21st Nov 2004
The /y switch for XE fields can only be used if you have at least one
East Asian language enabled.

The switch defines the phonetic character for sorting (yomi).

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Dan McGarigle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...