xrated pop-ups

=?Utf-8?B?SEFTU0Eu?=

      28th Apr 2004
how can i stop internet explorer from hijacking my system with pono popups.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

      28th Apr 2004
HASSA. wrote:
> how can i stop internet explorer from hijacking my system with pono
> popups.

Internet Explorer is not the problem. The problem is how you are using it.

AdAware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Spybot
http://security.kolla.de/

Also, check the following website for more information on known spyware.

MVP Sandi's Darnit!

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP-Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

xpchallenged

      28th Apr 2004

have some spyware issues. Get yourself ad-aware, spybot
search and destroy (even though they're not doing any new
updating right now - there's a new version in the works)
and spywareblaster - that will stop the garbage before it
has a chance to download/hijack, etc. Also make sure
your av is up to date. Disable your System Restore,
close all other programs. Run everything - av, then
spybot, then ad-aware, then spywareblaster. Once the
adware/spyware/malware is found and cleaned, you can turn
your System Restore back on.

      28th Apr 2004
Stop visiting porn sites and the porno pop-ups will stop.

Bruce Chambers

      28th Apr 2004
Greetings --

When visiting porn sites, always be careful not to
download/install their "free" viewers. You'll get more than expected,
every time. To repair the current situation, uninstall the
"viewer(s)" provided and then use Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and
SpyBot Search and Destroy from www.safer-networking.org/ to clean up
any residue. Both have free versions for personal use.

You should also try using MSConfig to see if something is being
started each time you reboot.

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"HASSA." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how can i stop internet explorer from hijacking my system with pono
> popups.

Malke

      28th Apr 2004
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Stop visiting porn sites and the porno pop-ups will stop.

That was pretty useless advice. The original poster needs to clean up
his/her computer by using spyware removal tools like Spybot Search &
Destroy from www.safer-networking.org and Ad-aware from
www.lavasoftusa.com. Be sure to update these programs before running
them. These programs are free, so run them both since they complement
each other. It is best to run antivirus and spyware removal tools in
Safe Mode.

Also, be sure to have a current (post-2002 version using updated
definitions) antivirus installed. Porn sites often install keystroke
loggers and other types of trojans (no pun intended!).

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Tony Talmage

      28th Apr 2004
(Sorry, this is OT. Just curious.)

Malke,

This might sound like a silly question. I use the whole "antivirus program
no earlier than 2002" advice a lot, and I notice that many others do as
well, but I was wondering what the difference might be between older
antivirus software and more recent; I was just leeching off the advice of
others, really =) I'm still using NAV 2000, and I don't seem to have any
problems with it ("do what I say, not what I do" seems to be accurate here).
No viruses have been found on my computer in ... I would say around 2-3
years. Should I get something more recent (and free, because I'm
cheap/poor) like AVG or Avast, or should I stick with NAV 2000?

--
Tony Talmage
Web Developer

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Stop visiting porn sites and the porno pop-ups will stop.

Malke

      28th Apr 2004
Tony Talmage wrote:

> (Sorry, this is OT. Just curious.)
>
> Malke,
>
> This might sound like a silly question. I use the whole "antivirus
> program no earlier than 2002" advice a lot, and I notice that many
> others do as well, but I was wondering what the difference might be
> between older antivirus software and more recent; I was just leeching
> off the advice of
> others, really =) I'm still using NAV 2000, and I don't seem to have
> any problems with it ("do what I say, not what I do" seems to be
> accurate here). No viruses have been found on my computer in ... I
> would say around 2-3
> years. Should I get something more recent (and free, because I'm
> cheap/poor) like AVG or Avast, or should I stick with NAV 2000?

Hi, Tony. Well, that brings up a whole NAV has progressively gotten
suckier tangent. I've used Norton products for years but no longer
recommend them. With NAV 2004, we're seeing so many issues, bloating,
conflicts, etc., not to mention their new activation necessity, that I
wouldn't use it. Re the activation, I understand the whole piracy
prevention thing, but I have absolutely no faith in Symantec's ability
to properly manage this.

That was a bit off the beaten path, but basically there were
improvements in how NAV handled certain issues in versions later than
NAV 2000 and I assume other av programs have some improvements over the
years, too. Some av programs now look for spyware/adware, for instance,
which is a good thing. My main reason for including this bit in my
advice is that I can't tell you how many users just buy the computer
and leave whatever av is on there without updating either the program
or its definitions *ever*. That includes them just ignoring the "renew
your subcription" notices, too. So hopefully my saying "post-whatever"
will make them look at the version they're running. Should you change?
I can't answer that for you. Why not download some trial versions of
various av's and see? Only run one at a time, though!

Cheers,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

Steve Nielsen

      28th Apr 2004

Malke wrote:

> Tony Talmage wrote:
>

>>(Sorry, this is OT. Just curious.)
>>
>>Malke,
>>
>>This might sound like a silly question. I use the whole "antivirus
>>program no earlier than 2002" advice a lot, and I notice that many
>>others do as well, but I was wondering what the difference might be
>>between older antivirus software and more recent; I was just leeching
>>off the advice of
>>others, really =) I'm still using NAV 2000, and I don't seem to have
>>any problems with it ("do what I say, not what I do" seems to be
>>accurate here). No viruses have been found on my computer in ... I
>>would say around 2-3
>>years. Should I get something more recent (and free, because I'm
>>cheap/poor) like AVG or Avast, or should I stick with NAV 2000?
>>

> Hi, Tony. Well, that brings up a whole NAV has progressively gotten
> suckier tangent. I've used Norton products for years but no longer
> recommend them. With NAV 2004, we're seeing so many issues, bloating,
> conflicts, etc., not to mention their new activation necessity, that I
> wouldn't use it. Re the activation, I understand the whole piracy
> prevention thing, but I have absolutely no faith in Symantec's ability
> to properly manage this.
>
> That was a bit off the beaten path, but basically there were
> improvements in how NAV handled certain issues in versions later than
> NAV 2000 and I assume other av programs have some improvements over the
> years, too. Some av programs now look for spyware/adware, for instance,
> which is a good thing. My main reason for including this bit in my
> advice is that I can't tell you how many users just buy the computer
> and leave whatever av is on there without updating either the program
> or its definitions *ever*. That includes them just ignoring the "renew
> your subcription" notices, too. So hopefully my saying "post-whatever"
> will make them look at the version they're running. Should you change?
> I can't answer that for you. Why not download some trial versions of
> various av's and see? Only run one at a time, though!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malke

In addition, over the years I have seen some cases of older a/v engines
being unable to detect newer threats at all, even with current
definitions in place. Most strikingly in my experience was the inabilty
of Command Software Anti-Virus being completely unable to detect the
Nimda.A worm untill the engine was updated some 4 weeks AFTER our
district was hit by the worm. Other, older experiences include the dawn
of the M$ Office Macro viruses - when they started circulating I don't
think there was any a/v program that could deal with them at all and
they had to be dealt with manually (deleting Normal.dot, etc.)

Steve