XP to Win7 Network Problem

BillyUK

      9th May 2010
I'm looking for some help.

I have 2 PCs networked at home.

Main PC is running Win7 64bit second is Running XP MCE 32bit.

The problem is if I want to transfer files or folders from Win7 to shared
folder on XP machine it will start and run for approx 1 second then stop and
eventually times out

If I then check the XP machine it will have created the folder and maybe
started the first file but that's it.
If I start from the XP machine and try to copy the same files/folders from
Win7 to XP it works fine.

So copying the same files/folders from Win7 to XP works if started from XP
but wont if started from Win7.

Any Ideas as I'm stumped ?

P.S. tried with TG585 and DG834 routers and new LAN card

--
Slainte,

Willie

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      10th May 2010
Hi
Win7 when configured on peer-to-peer Network, Win 7 has three types of
Sharing configurations.
Home Network = Works only between Win 7 computers. This type of
configuration makes it very easy to Entry Level Users to start Network
sharing.
Work Network = Basically similar to the previous methods of sharing that let
you control what, how, and to whom folders would be shared with.
Public Sharing = Public Network (like Internet cafe) to reduce security
risks.
The Work Network is the one that most of us are going (and need) to use.
Win7 Work Network's Sharing settings are in principle similar to Vista's
configuration, some menus locations in Win 7 might be in different place,
and look a little different, but it should not be a problem to adapt.
Firewall instructions.

Win7 -
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows
Win7 - Work Network with a little visual help),
,http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
When finished with the setting of the system it is advisable to Reboot all
the hardware including Router and all computers involved.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"BillyUK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking for some help.
>
> I have 2 PCs networked at home.
>
> Main PC is running Win7 64bit second is Running XP MCE 32bit.
>
> The problem is if I want to transfer files or folders from Win7 to shared
> folder on XP machine it will start and run for approx 1 second then stop
> and eventually times out
>
> If I then check the XP machine it will have created the folder and maybe
> started the first file but that's it.
> If I start from the XP machine and try to copy the same files/folders from
> Win7 to XP it works fine.
>
> So copying the same files/folders from Win7 to XP works if started from XP
> but wont if started from Win7.
>
> Any Ideas as I'm stumped ?
>
> P.S. tried with TG585 and DG834 routers and new LAN card
>

> --
> Slainte,
>
> Willie

BillyUK

      18th May 2010
Thanks Jack

Also changed encryption to 56 bit which seems to have worked

Cheers
Billy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...