=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeSBGYWx6b25l?=

      30th Oct 2004
Hello all. I am not a very advanced user of Windows XP , so , I figured
someone in these forums might have an answer for me.

I purchased a computer and Windows XP Home for my sister as a Christmas Gift
last week.

This is what I am wondering - is everyone familiar with installing XP for
the first time on a hard drive, and, then when XP finally starts, it takes
you through the steps of entering your user name, choosing a network
connection and all of that ?

I want my sister to see that information on christmas morning when she turns
it on so it gives it the feel of a brand new computer that is being turned on
for the very first time. I hope I am making sense.

In other words, I will configure all of the drivers and needed software for
her, then, set it so the next time it boots, it lets her customize it with
her information. Is there a setting to do this ?

I hope I posted this the correct way.

Thanks in advance. Emails also welcome to http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Much Regards

Gary Falzone

Mike Hall

      31st Oct 2004
Are you related to the Grinch?.. if this is her first computer, I am sure
that she will be 'over the moon'.. having to go through the entire XP
install come Christmas morning is not the way to bring smiles to faces..
your time would be better spent making sure that it is working as well as it
ever could.. perhaps buying her some software that she could install would
be an idea..

"Gary Falzone" <Gary (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all. I am not a very advanced user of Windows XP , so , I figured
> someone in these forums might have an answer for me.
>
> I purchased a computer and Windows XP Home for my sister as a Christmas
> Gift
> last week.
>
> This is what I am wondering - is everyone familiar with installing XP for
> the first time on a hard drive, and, then when XP finally starts, it takes
> you through the steps of entering your user name, choosing a network
> connection and all of that ?
>
> I want my sister to see that information on christmas morning when she
> turns
> it on so it gives it the feel of a brand new computer that is being turned
> on
> for the very first time. I hope I am making sense.
>
> In other words, I will configure all of the drivers and needed software
> for
> her, then, set it so the next time it boots, it lets her customize it with
> her information. Is there a setting to do this ?
>
> I hope I posted this the correct way.
>
> Thanks in advance. Emails also welcome to (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Much Regards
>
> Gary Falzone

=?Utf-8?B?R2FyeUo3MzE2Nw==?=

      31st Oct 2004
I suppose you are right......well...anyway, I have always wondered how they
do that??? When you buy a new system, all drivers and software is installed
and working properly, yet, they set it up so that the first time you turn it
on, you get the welcome setup screen....can someone please let me know how to
do this ????

Gary

"Mike Hall" wrote:

> Are you related to the Grinch?.. if this is her first computer, I am sure
> that she will be 'over the moon'.. having to go through the entire XP
> install come Christmas morning is not the way to bring smiles to faces..
> your time would be better spent making sure that it is working as well as it
> ever could.. perhaps buying her some software that she could install would
> be an idea..
>

> "Gary Falzone" <Gary (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all. I am not a very advanced user of Windows XP , so , I figured
> > someone in these forums might have an answer for me.
> >
> > I purchased a computer and Windows XP Home for my sister as a Christmas
> > Gift
> > last week.
> >
> > This is what I am wondering - is everyone familiar with installing XP for
> > the first time on a hard drive, and, then when XP finally starts, it takes
> > you through the steps of entering your user name, choosing a network
> > connection and all of that ?
> >
> > I want my sister to see that information on christmas morning when she
> > turns
> > it on so it gives it the feel of a brand new computer that is being turned
> > on
> > for the very first time. I hope I am making sense.
> >
> > In other words, I will configure all of the drivers and needed software
> > for
> > her, then, set it so the next time it boots, it lets her customize it with
> > her information. Is there a setting to do this ?
> >
> > I hope I posted this the correct way.
> >
> > Thanks in advance. Emails also welcome to (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > Much Regards
> >
> > Gary Falzone

Gene K

      31st Oct 2004
I agree basically with Mike Hall. If she is brand new to computers, somebody
(probably you) is going to have to hook it up. If you purchased a
manufactured system from Dell, HP, Sony, Gateway, etc. with a pre-installed
OEM version of XP, you probably will open up with that Set-up screen wanting
a user name, establish a Network connection (have you arranged for an
Internet connection for her), computer name, date and time, etc,. If you
have bought a locally built system without an OS pre-installed and you are
installing a retail version yourself, I think you can skip some of these
steps and leave them to her. If you love her and are not unkind by nature,
be right there beside her to answer questions or else the computer might
wind up in a closet or stored in the garage. Be kind.
Gene K